electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Nord G2 vs Yamaha DX7
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
paugui

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Nord G2 vs Yamaha DX7
Subject description: How good is the emulation of the DX7 in the G2?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How does the DX7 emulator in the G2 compares with the DX7 (both with the original and the MkII)?

Is it still worth getting one of those, or the simulation in the G2 is quite good and captures the character of the DX7?

Thanks in advance,
Best

Paulo
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you been reading the recent DX thread on gearslutz by any chance?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have both the G2 and DX7. The G2 does a great job and offers many more options than the DX. You can even translate the DX patches into G2 patches. The DX synths were great, but what they do is only one tiny subset of the G2's capabilities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paugui

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:

I'm not familiar with that thread...
Could you post a link to it Smile
paugui

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I have both the G2 and DX7. The G2 does a great job and offers many more options than the DX. You can even translate the DX patches into G2 patches. The DX synths were great, but what they do is only one tiny subset of the G2's capabilities.

I know the DX only can do a subset of what the G2 can do, but my point was... can the G2 have the same sound, or the sound is different enough for it to be worth getting a DX7?

If I didn't have that many keyboards, I'm sure it would still be worth getting one, but considering I already have quite some synths at home, does it make sense getting a DX7 or a rack version of it when you already have two G2Xs?

I'm also thinking of getting a TG77 (miss the SY77 I let go some years ago...), but I was wondering if the original one has a more raw sound than that would still make getting one relevant...
iPassenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paugui wrote:
iPassenger wrote:

I'm not familiar with that thread...
Could you post a link to it Smile

hehe.. I had been reading it myself earlier yesterday and then when I saw your post i thought maybe you had too.. I had convinced myself I know needed a DX synth... GAS! Stupid anyway it has passed now thank god. Smile

Anyway here is the thread that caused it:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/636429-some-fm-synth-questions.html

iPassenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paugui wrote:
miss the SY77 I let go some years ago...)

THis is the machine i started craving following the thread.. plus it looks like a nice board to play.. I am no player but that certainly looks like a nice board to play on than mine.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paugui wrote:
can the G2 have the same sound, or the sound is different enough for it to be worth getting a DX7?

No. That is, unless you have beliefs. With the patch converter, the G2 plays all DX7 patches. If you have two G2Xs, I'll trade you a TX7 and a TX81Z for one of them. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
...If you have two G2Xs, I'll trade you a TX7 and a TX81Z for one of them. Wink

Laughing

paugui wrote:
...Is it still worth getting one of those...

Well, if I had an FS1r as well as a G2X, I don’t think that I would be very worried about what FM(PM) capabilities that I may be missing by not having a DX7. To get a DX7 just seems to me to be a great leap backwards in technology and capability in comparison. Unless you have some DX7 patch sounds that you KNOW cannot be reproduced on your newer synths, which is possible of course, I don’t see much of any reason otherwise to get one.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't speak for the G2, because I've never owned one, but I know that the G1 was always considered to have a better sound than its successor, but as for the Yamaha, it was a lot 'warmer' sounding than the G1's DX7 emulation.

But Howard is right, and you really should get a Nord Modular anyway, because it's simply an incredible instrument.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

Last edited by v-un-v on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
varice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
... I know that the G1 was always considered to have a better sound than its successor...

Always?

I can recall only one person who stated that in general he hated the sound of the G2 versus the G1, mainly due to the use of different DACs between them, IIRC. Now there are some modules common to both that some people have said do not sound the same, even when patched exactly same way. I have a G1 Micro and Rack as well as a G2X, and in general, I cannot hear much of a difference between them when comparing exact generic subtractive synth type patches. Only by pushing the patches to extremes (e.g. very high pitches) can I then hear that the G1 has slightly more digital aliasing noise. This would be expected of course because of the use of a lower resolution 18bit DAC in the G1 versus the 24bit DAC in the G2.

I’ve never had a chance to audition a DX7, so it probably wasn’t wise of me to offer an opinion about whether or not to get one. And reading the gearslutz link that Ross posted (thanks for that Ross!) reveals that some people like the sound of the DX7 versus the newer FM synths. They apparently don’t mind the larger amount of aliasing noise from the DX7. dunno I really just don’t care for any aliasing in most cases! Smile

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There. Happy now? Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

But Howard is right, and you really should get a Nord Modular anyway, because it's simply an incredible instrument.

He has G2X and G1! I think he is covered. Laughing (and like Varice spotted a FS1r)

@Varice:

Best to stay away from that bloody website, i go on it as i like reading about gear but bloody hell if you don't end up wanting something you don't need nearly every time you visit. Stupid. Embarassed Laughing

Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Ross:) Who needs a DX7 or other wanna-haves if you have a G2?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sometimes I wish this forum had a 'like' button- like on Facebook. Very Happy
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Nord G2 vs Yamaha DX7

paugui wrote:
How does the DX7 emulator in the G2 compares with the DX7 (both with the original and the MkII)?

I see you already have a G2. I would say save your money and try all the DX7 patches on your G2 to your heart's content.

I've fooled around with other people's DX7s. The sound of the DX7 is not superior to the G2's DX sounds imo. Also, I have heard the DX7 was unable to respond to MIDI velocity values greater than 100.

Some old stuff on VIRB
varice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
There. Happy now? Very Happy

You’re asking me? No, I’m a very unhappy and miserable fellow. Sad I doubt that there is anything you could do to change that. Laughing Laughing Laughing

iPassenger wrote:
...Best to stay away from that bloody website, i go on it as i like reading about gear but bloody hell if you don't end up wanting something you don't need nearly every time you visit. Stupid. Embarassed Laughing

I know what you mean brother! I *know* that I have more than enough synthesizers already, but I still suffer G.A.S. attacks anyway… Twisted Evil

dasz

G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Now that's GAS.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's either a museum, or a lot of underutilized machinery Sad

I like the G2's DX7 emulation. It's very nice, and when I'm tired of knob turning to balance out 6 operators, I can just add a resonant filter and get what I want Smile Smile Smile
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Nord G2 vs Yamaha DX7

paugui wrote:

Is it still worth getting one of those, or the simulation in the G2 is quite good and captures the character of the DX7?

Thanks in advance,
Best

Paulo

The G2 gets close but a dx7 in the old version is still worth of getting .. they have a nice warm fuzzy tone.. a little noisy but nice that no emulation in hard or software can provide.

Beside that the keyboard plays really way nicer than the one of the g2..only the max velocity is limited.

I helped working on the patch converter and tried to make a g2 patch that sounds like a DX 7.. i got close but had to keep it compact and only brought it to maybe an 80% point.. maybe 90 %..

the G2 sounds colder and slimmer and pitch envelope on the dx 7 works i a very specific way i never really managed to copy.. maybe possible and someone has made a better dx patch ..but with the standard one in the patch converter not any patch converts correctly.
especially sound fx patches that use the pitch envelope can turn out quite different.

Its nice that the G2 gets so close to the DX..but never made able to make me sell the DX7 that is quite big and really heavy..
I always wonder why the DX7 is so heavy.. is there a beton plate inside to make it feel more solid?
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Nord G2 vs Yamaha DX7

3phase wrote:

Its nice that the G2 gets so close to the DX..but never made able to make me sell the DX7 that is quite big and really heavy..
I always wonder why the DX7 is so heavy.. is there a beton plate inside to make it feel more solid?

It's a pretty solid steel case, isn't it? The KX88 has a similar construction, with added weight on the keys - try lifting that sometime!

I realized how good the DX7 keyboard was after I got rid of it...

/Stefan

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, 3phase, I didn't know that. Cool
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Now that's GAS.

Where the hell is that Dasz?
Is that "part" of your studio? Wink

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.wix.com/tx81zt/tx81zt anyone? Cool

OK so the TX81Z was not a full DX7 but it is still a nice little FM synth.

Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: