electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
"paper jamz"
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
pyrek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: "paper jamz"
Subject description: need some help hacking finger touch controlled drumkit
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi
i write this looking for advice about hacking this paper drumkit i got. it has a lot of drum sounds that i'd like to use, but instead of tapping with my fingers on the thing's surface (it has printed a drumkit over it, and you play by tapping the drums with your fingers) i want to trigger the drumsounds from a sequencer or oscillator or something else automatic. i already broke a finger drums kit by trying to trigger it with pulses, so i reckon the finger trigger are capacitive (but i'm not sure) i just wonder if anyone out there has any advice on this type of finger controls before i go break another toy.
i hope my text makes any sense, i express myself better in swedish hehe
anyway thanx and i must say this forum is amazing Smile

20110607185.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  452.44 KB
 Viewed:  333 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

20110607185.jpg

inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

they probably have piezos in them. you'll probably fry the thing unless you know what kind of voltage it can handle.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's powered by 4 AA batteries, so you shouldn't apply any voltages greater than 5V.

You have to find out what's under the "paper."

If just touching the surface, not applying any pressure, triggers a drum, it might be some kind of capacitance switch. I don't know how you would interface with that.

If slowly applying pressure eventually triggers a drum, what you have might be very thin mechanical switches...perhaps membrane. You can interface with these with analog switches -- CD4066.

If only sharp, fast taps trigger the drums, then most likely there's piezo transducers. You can trigger these by capacitor coupling logic pulses.

START SMALL! Attenuate the pulse down to, say, 1Volt through a .001 cap, then increase the volts to no more than 5V until something happens.

But first you have figure out just what the triggering mechanism is.

pyrek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks a lot for the tips, you are very helpful. it seems to be capacitive switches though, and it seems hard to get any info on that, other than that the circuit somehow detects a difference in capacitance that occurs when you touch it, you don't even have to be grounded... I've tried a little with grounding the contact through a cap with a switch, but it doesn't really work. maybe it needs a pulldown resistor or something. I haven't broken it yet so I'll keep experimenting, maybe optocouplers/photoresistor+leds.
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was hoping to do something similar with one of the paper jamz guitars. I saw one tonight for US$10. I'd ultimately want to be able to play it via midi but I think being able to trigger notes with a pulse would be the first step.

This is the only article I could find on the internal electronics. I'm not sure how we would use a voltage trigger in place of a finger placement.

http://stryker.hackhut.com/2011/01/31/paper-jamz-review-future-hacks/

pyrek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found this video on youtube where a similar touch controlled toy is automated, I haven't been able to figure out how he does it yet...

http://youtu.be/oPVjM6vM8Rg

there's further explanation here:

http://youtu.be/DZZib0W6bNo

maybe anyone of you with som experience can figure out howit's done, or if it is relevant in this case
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Pyrek,

I've circuitbend one of those fingerdrum toys myself:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_B-r-cBnFc and I can confirm that it uses capacitive switching.

edit/
I just couldn't resist having a peek inside. It looks like all the capacitive switch wires run to a dedicated black blob IC wich then connects to the main sound IC. That's as far as my knowledge goes, I wish I could help further.

noise
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry guys....had a chance to pick up at least one paper jamz at a garage sale. They were $3 each and they had 2. Someone grabbed them both while I looked away for a few seconds. Greedy bitch!
glow worm

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Toys R Us outlet on eBay UK is knocking out remaindered Paper Jamz Justin Bieber Key-Tars for £1.99 - only 7 left at the time of writing!
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: