electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Nord Modular G2X as 8-step external sequencer
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
337is

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Nord Modular G2X as 8-step external sequencer
Subject description: Getting good midi out of the box without seeing red!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All,

Long time NM patcher but haven't posted here before. I've always patched happily inside my NM (both classic and G2X) but have recently acquired an Oberheim SEMPRO which I've been enjoying immensely. I would like to set up a simple 8 step sequencer in the G2X to control the SEMPRO and allow me to use to use the hardware buttons to turn trig/gate on or off, and then use the corresponding knob to adjust pitch on the fly. Can such a thing be done?

It seems like once I use trig, all pitch control flies out the window. And if I use gate then I can't accurately control the rhythmic pattern as they start to mush together. I can't seem to get useful results out of Note feature on the NoteSend module. Like even if I throw a fast rate LFO on it, I can't hear a change in pitch. Any pro tips to get me moving in the right direction?

Ext8seqpulse.pch2
 Description:
Basic 8 step external sequencer

Download
 Filename:  Ext8seqpulse.pch2
 Filesize:  1.2 KB
 Downloaded:  3947 Time(s)

Last edited by 337is on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baby

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you post the patch you are programming?
337is

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Baby, thanks for being willing to help. I've added the patch to this post. I added a pulse based on what I read in this post:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-36891.html

This seems to do the trick, but it feels like fancy magic, I have no real clue how/why introducing a pulse does the trick ... I understand that it increases the length of the trigger, but it seems like that should be built into the sequencer itself ... with this in mind, I don't know how long to make the pulse to replicate a "normal" situation. I mean, I don't need to add this pulse when just patching in the NM, so I don't get how/why its working on external gear. That said, it works, and pitch tracks correctly now. Has anyone done anything elegant in this area? Like building a patch to use the NM like a hardware sequencer for external midi gear? And on that topic, can I create CV signals for modular gear using a similar method? Methinks this might be really fun!
Baby

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's no need to change the pulse length to advance the sequencer.

The trigger/gate response is highly dependent on the envelope used on your external synth. As programmed, it looks like you'd be triggering your ADSR every bar and each pitch would slur to the next.

You cannot use the NM for CV as it is DC coupled without modding. See http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-12266.html

I've tried to use Silent Way from the G2, but it has been quirky.

We use gate signals for various pulse lengths for ADSR and the like and trigger for single shots for AD et al.

I'll post a patch later.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

337is wrote:
...I added a pulse based on what I read in this post:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-36891.html

This seems to do the trick, but it feels like fancy magic, I have no real clue how/why introducing a pulse does the trick ... I understand that it increases the length of the trigger, but it seems like that should be built into the sequencer itself ... with this in mind, I don't know how long to make the pulse to replicate a "normal" situation. I mean, I don't need to add this pulse when just patching in the NM, so I don't get how/why its working on external gear. That said, it works, and pitch tracks correctly now. Has anyone done anything elegant in this area? Like building a patch to use the NM like a hardware sequencer for external midi gear?...

A belated welcome to the electro-music forum Leslie Exclamation

I like the way the sequencer modules work in trigger mode. I don’t think that the sequencers should have any fixed gate PW while in this mode. The fact that this mode passes what ever gate PW is at the input allows for much more gate patching flexibility.

But, I think that it would be a nice feature if the G2 Clock module had a variable duty cycle control for the 1/16 and 1/96 outputs that still worked well with any tempo changes and Swing settings.

Here is a patch that you may find useful. It has a variable clock gate pulse width. I tested it by using my G2X MIDI output to control a synth in my Roland MC-909, and it works like a charm. It is based on the building block patch posted here (along with some more information, [and BTW, I finally posted it because it may help with the problems that you described in your original post Very Happy ]):

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-358966.html#358966

Clock Gate PW3.pch2
 Description:
An 8 step seq with variable gate PW to control an ext MIDI synth

Download
 Filename:  Clock Gate PW3.pch2
 Filesize:  1.9 KB
 Downloaded:  4128 Time(s)

337is

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello varice, thanks so much for the kind welcome. I can't wait to play with this patch tonight when I get home. I appreciate you sharing your insight and will report back after some hands on time.
337is

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Varice, I had a chance to play with your patch and had a ball! Thanks for contributing. Smile Now, will you be so kind as to entertain some followup questions? I read through your link to the other patch and I will admit that your grasp of the modular environment far exceeds my own. Smile I went through your patch one module at a time and read the help files on them as I've never used several of the modules you did. Can you explain a bit about what's going on with the Constant feeding into the ShapeStatic? I think I get the Env to Delay, and even a bit of the Flip Flop, but I'm in a panic thinking about the And/Or Gate ... breathe!

Last question. Is there an easy way to make this patch respond to the note held on the keyboard? Currently, it doesn't jump to the new pitch and cycle through the sequence in the way I would normally expect.

Thanks again for the lessons, I'm deeply appreciative of your time.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I’m glad that you like this patch.

Well, the help file on the static shaper module is not very helpful. Rolling Eyes Anyway, this module does logarithmic or exponential transformations of the input signal. In this case I needed to make the unipolar 0 to 64 unit output of the constant module increase in a logarithmic way (faster increases below 32 units and slower above) to counter the exponential way the that logic delay time modulation input works. If you bypass the static shaper, you will notice that the constant control has much less effect when below the middle setting, and a much greater effect nearer the maximum setting.

The flip flop module is used to detect if the clock sends a trigger before the logic delay times out and goes low (this can happen when increasing the clock rate from very slow rates and would cause the sequencer to miss a clock event). The AND gate is used to test that both the logic delay output and flip flop inverted output are high logic levels before passing the gate signal on to the sequencer.

If you are not that familiar with the logic modules, I highly recommend that you learn about them. They can be a very powerful tool. If you haven’t seen it already, there is an online G2 tutorial written by Rob Hordijk that I would recommend. It gets into more detail about the G2 modules than the manual and help file. There is a link to it in this topic:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-1638.html

One way to get the keyboard to work with sequencer is to add a monokey module and connect the pitch output to the blue input on the left side of the sequencer module. The keyboard pitch value will be summed with the sequencer note values.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: