electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
to G2 or not to G2, this is the question.....
Page 2 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
K

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently quenched my synth-thirst with a G2 engine too Very Happy
remote

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, i am new around here... and i am planning on buying a G2 engine (found it new + UPS delivery for 780€ !!!)

i have a doubt though, because i was first planning on getting the G2 key, but it will be a MUCH longer wait... but i want to use it live from time to time...

can i later on use a G2 key (when i get the money for it...) to control the "surplus" power of the G2 Engine ? is it like one editor per "machine" ? i am actually quite lost... i've been wanting a Nord Modular G1 already for a while... then the G2 was announced... waited for the OS Xto come out... now still saving money... but i have the 800€ for the engine... and it will be quite long before i get the double for the Key version...

should i go for it now ??? or is it kind of a waste ? if i plan on getting the G2 or G2X in the future (well a year or so)

thanks for your advices guys !!! Cool
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the forum remote.

I don't think it will be a waste to first buy a G2 engine. It will probably take you some time to "get into it", and all effort put into the engine is usable for the key-versions as well.

Might you have to sell the engine later in order to be able to buy a key version you'll probably not loose too much money on it.

Sometimes the question is raised whether the engine is an "extender" for the key version, this is not the case - it is a true synth on it own just lacking the knobs etc.

But of course the key version can (through MIDI) be used to play notes or control controllers on the engine.

In the editor it is possible to have two G2s connected.

Jan.
remote

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you Blue Hell !!!

i am now decided and sure to buy it !!! i might just sell it before i go for the key verison Wink

i was hoping yup that it would be an extension of some sort, like the powercore systems from TC... what a shame !!!

thanks again! i am off to place my order online !!! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

remote wrote:

thanks again! i am off to place my order online !!! Very Happy

Good move.

I bought the original G2 keyboard version and about a month latter they announced the G2X. I was disappointed and even angry because the X was what I really wanted in the first place. Anyhow, after several months I was able to sell my G2 keyboard and buy a G2X used. The total cash outlay was a little bit less than buying the G2X new. So, it's a good move to get the G2 engine now. You can upgrade for a G2 or G2X when you have the cash and you'll be ahead of the game.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can effectively use the engine as an expansion for the keyboard G2.
Unless you're just trying to get the maximum number of voices on a single patch.
If you are using more than one slot, you can distribute your patches between the two machines. You can send midi and audio between them.
For example, if you're using reverb alot, which consumes much dsp, you can put all your effects in one slot of the engine and take them out of the keyboard.
You may find that an unexpanded G2 is a little short on polyphony, in which case keeping the engine (or an old NM) around could help. If however you just play one monster patch at a time and want the most possible voices, then I think the expansion card would be more valuable than the engine.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it looks like the G2 engine is getting a lot of attention Very Happy many threads about it, how to control it or how to expand it Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
remote

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool just made my order on internet... 780€ for the G2 Engine, i find it quite a good deal for such a synth !?

now i gotta be patient... Rolling Eyes very eager hook it up with my mac and make myself a few crazy patches !!! Very Happy
Acidfever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

remote wrote:
Cool just made my order on internet... 780€ for the G2 Engine, i find it quite a good deal for such a synth !?

now i gotta be patient... Rolling Eyes very eager hook it up with my mac and make myself a few crazy patches !!! Very Happy

It's a decent deal. I've seen it around for 735€.

I got lucky and bought it 2nd hand (4 months old) for 650€ from a guy that lives 5 KM from me.

But 780 including shipping is a decent deal.
remote

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry for the off topic... but if anybody is concerned about this pleasse write me

acidfever... do you make tekno, acid trax ?

i am a label situated in France and we are opening a acid-tekno department in search of new artists... we produce tekno, hard-tekno, acid, acidcore, hardcore, breakbeat, dnb...

we are a undergroung company, we make 1000-1500 copies for now waiting to get our new tekno/acid-tekno label out to try and get it up to 3000 copies...

please feel free to write me at vibro-boy@wanadoo.fr Twisted Evil
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Remote, you might want to post a message on our Wanted, For Sale, Opportunites and Requests, under Opportunities Wanted and Available. There are some people that just scan those sub-forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

remote wrote:

we are a undergroung company, we make 1000-1500 copies for now waiting to get our new tekno/acid-tekno label out to try and get it up to 3000 copies...

Quite large numbers for a underground company, what on earth are you doing distribution-wise?

remote

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the tip MOSC, i will paste my post there Very Happy

hi KASSEN for distribution : i have 3 french distributors doing the job for our underground harder stuff... and we are trying to get our own distribution network going too... (website and all)

maybe you can hook me up wityh some dutch guys (artists/rec-shop/distibutor)?

we have quite a good "hard" scene here in france still... we use to be a sound system doing free parties and squatt parties... it is a movement that's dying out. but record sale is still going quite good...

true that for the last 2 records, we felt a slow down in sales.... pity that the record (specially vinyle) industry is in freefall !!!!!!!
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keyhole is a record shop, now in Rotterdam, who sell teKno and related stuff to the soundsystem/ squater party people. That´s your best bet if you want a shop around here.

As for artists; my favourite current dutch acid artist by far is Sendex he did some live set that were absolutely amazing at one of our local semi-legal places. If you want dutch acid you could give him a mail and say something along the lines of "hey, send us your hardest tracks"....

cheers.

Page 2 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: