electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
New Step Sequencer
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
papaver

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: New Step Sequencer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi !!

I have finished the first prototype of a very simple step sequencer, in the line of a 4017 step sequencer but this time is expandable to 16, 32, 64, infinte steps.

Here is an ugly video that I have recorded yesterday, the first take with the prototype. My intention is to make very easy to build PCBs (in the line of Shruthi synth or others).

here is the video! http://youtu.be/t-ccsr0EJGA

The features of the sequencer are:

- Step sequencer with gate, trigger and CV outputs.
- Very very very easy to build, not programming needed.
- Expandable until the infinite and more!
- Configurable in a minimum of 4 steps (this is the bad part, not possible to reduce to 1, 2 o 3 steps. The minimum are 4 ad multiple).
- More than one sequence at a time! (see the video)
- Very funny and easy to use.
- Reduce the level of stress in a 110% in comparison with computer based sequences.
- Fat free.

Schematics and more info as soon as I can!
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't got the bandwidth to watch the video, but I look forward to seeing the schems! Very Happy
papaver

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi !

Here is the schemo!

The circuit is very simple and is like most of the other simple 4017 sequencers that are around the world:

- The clock signal is provided by a 555. it is possible to add a smaller pot in series with the 1M to adjust the fine frequency.

- The S1 and S2 switches are pushbuttons and are for send the first step to the 4015 and reset it respectively.

- The 4015 circuit is very simple. every 4015 have 2 4 bit static shift registers. each circuit have data, clock, reset inputs and 4 outputs. Whan a voltage "on" is send to the data "in" and after the first cycle of the clock has passed a voltage "on" is send to the 1st out, then to de 2nd and so. If we chain the 4th out with the data in of the nex circuit we have 4 steps more. So we can build an infinite step sequencer.

The bad part, or the antifeature (like says Ray Wilson) is that you can only run the seq in blocks of 4 steps, not less.

The other good and incidental feature is that if you push more times the data switch you send another sequence to the circuit so more than one sequence can be running at the time creating interesting pseudorandom sequences when the differents sequences coincide.

- The other parts are very simple. Each channel have a led with a simple 2n3904 circuit, a pot that goes directly to CV out and a switch to activate the gate out.

Then the gate out is mixed with the clock signal into an AND gate (in my case I have used to NAND because I had a 4011 IC there) to out the pulse signal.

- The circuit can run from 9v to theorichaly 18. I ave tested it from 9 to 12 and its fine. Of course the CV out will change if the power supply voltage changes.

Filter caps can be added, (it's a good idea) for the power.

and that's all.

PCBs soon!!

Centipede.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.6 KB
 Viewed:  822 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Centipede.jpg

Last edited by papaver on Tue May 15, 2012 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
papaver

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the prototype

proto.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  507.79 KB
 Viewed:  329 Time(s)

proto.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a really cool build papaver! Very Happy
LFLab

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one, I hadn't seen a sequencer using the 4015 before, but the fact that it is easily expandable is very nice. It would need some buffering, and a schmitt trigger to trigger it is also very helpful since it'll allow you to use small signals to trigger as well. I'd also go with a CMOS 555 (or no clock at all).
papaver

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, the buffer section is not in the schematic, but it'll be in the final version. It'll be usefull in some circumstances. But for now it works fine with only one destination and short cables.

Don't understand what you mean with the schmitt trigger. I have tried to use a 40106 (6 schmit trgis) for the clock, but Ive noticed some irregularities with the tempo, maye is for the lack of filtering capacitors during the tests or for the lack of the buffers at the outputs, I don't know.

But using a 40106 would be great since with a pair of schmith triggers you can build any logic gate that you want. So you put the clock and the AND gate in one single chip.

Anyway the save in money and space doing this is not significant as the build is very easy.

I will work in the PCB's next week.

I have tested today with the MPS and it really works!
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

papaver wrote:
The bad part, or the antifeature (like says Ray Wilson) is that you can only run the seq in blocks of 4 steps, not less.

Or can you?

If the D input of IC1b were connected to QC instead of QD of IC1a. the sequence would be shortened by one step. Connecting to QB would shorten by two steps. The "skipped" steps would occur simultaneously with the first n steps of the following shift register. The resulting voltage outputs would then be additive. (Think: KLEE.) Or, the voltages from the skipped steps could be eliminated by simply turning down the appropriate pots.

With enough switches or patch cords you should be able to get any length from 4 to 16 steps.

papaver

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great Richard! You're right. That's a really good idea.

At the beggining I have think about this. Like in a normal sequencer if I connect the step 15 or 14 to the D of Ic1A, but the concept of the simultaneous steps don't like me then so I decided to don't look anymore to this. But your point is really new in perspective. (And a lesson to review my way of thinking Smile )

I don't know the Klee. i have to take a look.

thxs!
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice sequencer Smile I like the idea a lot

and that is a good call richard

Quote:
If the D input of IC1b were connected to QC instead of QD of IC1a

if you made those D inputs switchable to each of the 4 Q outputs could be very interesting indeed especially if 4016 or 4066 switches were used controlled by some extra logic circuitry and/ or physical switches plus a VC in jack added [a comparative setup perhaps ? ]
dont ya just love feature creep Laughing
but it would make for an orsm N step sequencer

as good an answer as any
papaver

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the idea of the IC switches is very interesting and it opens a world of possibilities, but it need a lot of experimentation too.

For now I will release the Centipede v1 with the mecanic switches. I will post the schematics soon with the switches and the buffers. I want to keep this one simple.

Anyway, I will develop another sequencer, with more features, based on this one, but I need more time.

First the v1!
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
For now I will release the Centipede v1 with the mecanic switches. I will post the schematics soon with the switches and the buffers. I want to keep this one simple.

Anyway, I will develop another sequencer, with more features, based on this one, but I need more time.

First the v1!

cool I will look forward to it Smile
and it takes so much time Laughing I understand that part all too well
goodluck

as good an answer as any
papaver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I'm still woking on the PCB but time is hard to find this days.

Here is a bock diagram of the Centipede Seq. As you can see I have added a pause switch and a step button for when it's paused.

Smile Smile Smile

Centipede sequencer diagram.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  735.35 KB
 Viewed:  397 Time(s)

Centipede sequencer diagram.jpg

KRS1972

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello !

On the internet i found a shematic that uses 2 4015 ic's for sequence 16 steps.
I tryed it on breadboard and it works.

Grt,
Chris

16seq 4015.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.58 KB
 Viewed:  439 Time(s)

16seq 4015.jpg

papaver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

Yes this is very clos to the centipede. Is a very simple build but it can be the center of something more complex.

I've developed the PCB but for now I have stopped the project for a while. I have to much work here now and no time. As soon as I can I will share everything and work on a v.2 with some cool options (still in my mind Smile ).
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: