electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Analog Oscillator FM Feedback
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
NoizeHack

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Analog Oscillator FM Feedback Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I have been reading this forum and building schematics I have found on here for a while and this is my first post. Anyway I am trying to figure out why FM feedback with analog oscillators is acting very boring for me. All I get is a stable increase in pitch with FM feedback. I was expecting chaos and randomness, similar to the type of effects I get with FM feedback in pure data with digital oscillators. Does anyone know why analog FM feedback isn't doing this?

More info on the oscillators I have used (incase I am just using an oscillator design that doesn't work well with FM feedback.)

-single supply +9v
-I have tried this with 3 oscillator designs, the 40106 vco, Nicolas's v/hz saw vco and a vco that I made by modifying the MFOS soundlab LFO to be a VCO.
-I tried running the output of the oscillator through a buffer, an inverting buffer, and effects before sending it back to the FM input, even making an oscillator FM chain with 3 oscillators and then last going back into the first, but none of these got me anything other than the steady rise in tone.
-FM from other sources works fine on the VCOs, so I know the VCO isn't broken

Also here is a link to a pure data patch on my website that is a crazy FM feedback patch with a video example on the page, just to give an example of the behavior I was expecting and was sorely disappointed not to get.

http://noizehack.com/fm-feedback-matrix/

Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: