electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Tap guitars - brands, prices
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Tap guitars - brands, prices Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just daydreaming here... You guys who own tap guitars, what are the choices in brands and prices? A little googling didn't show me much more than Chapman stuff and a few others.

Is more "affordable" gear to be found, e.g. for around $1000?

Also, what are pros and cons for the different kinds that exist?

/Stefan

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

High Stefan!

Chapman Sticks are one brand of tapping instruments. You can find info at their web site: www.stick.com

Also:

Warr guitars: www.warrguitars.com

Mobius Megatar: www.megatar.com

Krappy Guitars: www.krappyguitars.com. Very inexpensive, but you get what you pay for.

Hyper Touch Guitar: http://www.yankodesign.com/2011/03/25/no-strings-attached/. Not sure if this has been released, but sure looks cool!

Also look for info on Box guitar, Solene, harpejji..... there are more out there.... The first three mentioned above are probably the most popular. There are people who make their own too. Which one is better? Personal taste will dictate that. I have two Sticks I really like. I believe Dan has a Warr...some day I'll get a chance to try it out...

GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just heard about this one:

http://www.timdonahue.com/harpguitars.html

This one is unusual in that there is a fretless version available, and the harp strings are used for treble parts, not bass - unlike many other harp guitars. I guess this is more like Pat Metheny's Pikasso harp guitar in that the bass strings are on the main playing neck, and the harp strings are for melody notes/drone notes, except the design is simpler.

The website says standard guitar tuning is used, with the high E tuned down to D, but this video says he down-tunes the two lowest strings to get into the bass range: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfmxLVO_2CU&feature=relmfu

Some old stuff on VIRB
onewayness

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
Krappy Guitars: www.krappyguitars.com. Very inexpensive, but you get what you pay for.

DES -- Have you tried these personally, or no? How 'bad' are they? Things that can be addressed with a good setup, or truly flawed?

Cheers,
Adam / onewayness

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have not tried them. Funny thing is they are (or were) made in a town about 20 minutes from here. I've been meaning to touch base with them and check the instruments out.

Looking at their website it looks like they have refined their products quite a bit....

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: