electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2012 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 8 of 16 [384 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is the most insanely wonderful cool device.

Of such rare and beautiful things are a wondrous childhood made......

[/D]

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 'T was brillig,.. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I just finished the Jabberwock...

Wow, beautiful box!

I breadboarded the Jabberwock yesterday, but I think I made a mimsy or two, because it doesn't seem to work right. Alas, I'm leaving town a few days, so no time to debug it until next week Sad.

James.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool box PHOBoS!
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just finished a CGS ASR in the same panel as a Dual LFO (Peter Lutz's design from EN-89) and I love it! here's a pic and a video.

ASR LFO.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  341.51 KB
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ASR LFO.JPG

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another amazing build Phobos! Looks great.

And yours sounds awesome inlifeindeath.

bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alice Smile
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inlifeindeath wrote:
just finished a CGS ASR in the same panel as a Dual LFO (Peter Lutz's design from EN-89) and I love it!

I love it too. Beautiful sounds...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not that creative, however, it oes what it should: a simple reverb module built around an accutronics digi-log-reverb unit.

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: TH Dual EG Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not quite so spiffy looking as several other recent entries (I *really* love the look of the jabberwock box; then again I'm not that good at drawing/painting), but a step forward nonetheless...you can compare the MTS-100 with the ADSR and see the steps forward. And plenty of learning for what not to do next time Smile

(I like to think this is the modular version of JingleJoe's ramshackles... Wink )

2012-05-23_23-14-41_154.jpg
 Description:
On the bench, showing the ganged envelopes
 Filesize:  588 KB
 Viewed:  306 Time(s)

2012-05-23_23-14-41_154.jpg

2012-05-23_23-42-35_457.jpg
 Description:
In the "rack" such as it is
 Filesize:  523.47 KB
 Viewed:  290 Time(s)

2012-05-23_23-42-35_457.jpg

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: TH Dual EG Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:

(I like to think this is the modular version of JingleJoe's ramshackles... Wink )

thats going to be friggen brilliant even if I do say so myself Wink

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
keithwin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's the small scope there?
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a DS203, or DSO Quad. The original design is by Seeed Studios but I got this on ebay at a significantly lower price. They're open source hardware as well as software, and I would say it appears that this is a clone; the back says www.minidso.com which is a chinese board...

It has taken some getting used to some of its quirks... And it has an issue (assuming it's a straight up clone, the original design has this issue) where the capacitance on the input is too high for it to actually make the originally stated 72MHz input claims. Now they just say up to 72M samples/s Smile.

However, since I'm doing audio work, not RF or something else way up there, I am not having any problems with it.

I'm used to the quirks (didn't take too long to figure out ways around things that don't work as I'd like) and it's been invaluable. No way could I have troubleshot the EG without it. I could have gotten a used Tek or similar from ebay for about the same cost, but then I'd have issues with "the boss" about where to store a big old boat anchor scope. Smile And my workspace is pretty limited anyway....
keithwin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I might just have to have one of those, and I have some Amazon vouchers Smile
adamon

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had twins (oscillators that is...)!

My first proper oscillator: a dual, variable pulse/ramp variety with plenty of in's and out's.

The core is based off of Ray Wilson's 'variable skew lfo' and was then completely bastardized for audio rate use, +/-4.5V rail power, and adapted for my control scheme (current control). I tacked on a cross fader to mix between the pulse and ramp waveforms and added an amplifier before the output (basically a vca...).

Controls row by row:

Row 1: Control signal out, Frequency control input, Amp. control input, Audio out

Row 2: Control out level/depth, Amp. gain, Waveform mix

Row 3: Frequency control, Frequency range (low, med, high), Wave tilt/pulse width

I was shooting for something along the lines of a buchla 258, and was happy with the way this design came out; lots of great fm and cross-mod opportunities!

Fun fact: there are four vactrols (hand rolled) per oscillator, so eight per module, or 16 between the two!

052820121570.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  194 Time(s)

052820121570.jpg

052820121571.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.45 MB
 Viewed:  224 Time(s)

052820121571.jpg

sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I like MOTM PCBs, the two I've build so far worked instantly, today I've finished a MOTM-410:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sonicwarrior on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adam, congrats on having proper VCOs and they look great. Cool

Home,My Studio,and another view
tombola

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very happy with how this came out - new random sequencer design in a Euro panel:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
random_se_3way by Tom.Whitwell, on Flickr

Schematics / Eagle files all Creative Commons licensed here: Random Sequencer Project page.

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: MFOS Oscillator Calibration Tool
Subject description: PHOBoS mod
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave Kendall wrote:
Of such rare and beautiful things are a wondrous childhood made......
Smile Lewis Carroll could have written that himself.

I just finished my modded version of the "MFOS Oscillator Calibration Tool". schematic can be found here

osccal - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.21 KB
 Viewed:  1469 Time(s)

osccal - 01.jpg

osccal - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.25 KB
 Viewed:  1503 Time(s)

osccal - 02.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's beautiful, Phobos...

I assume the DIN is power?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
That's beautiful, Phobos...

I assume the DIN is power?

thanks Smile
and yes, the DIN or rather XLR input is for power and takes raw DC. there are two regulators inside. I use
the same system for my synths which have in and out to chain the power supply.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: 2012 Build Pictures Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tom, WOW, the Random Sequencer is brilliant. I definitely have to build one of those. Nicely done, and thanks for sharing!

Tim (might have to stop watching cartoons now and go build something) Servo
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a video showing some mods I added to a Roland JX-1 that I restored.

I got this beat up Roland JX-1 for $25. a bunch of keys were broken, so I moved all the good ones to one end. I also cleaned it up both outside and inside. I think a cat was using it as a bed - it was full of cat hair.
The synth worked fine and sounds good, but I found it to be a little cold and dull. I decide to add some mods to add analog warmth and uniqueness to the sounds.

MS20 Filter
I added a modified MS20 filter. I was added distortion anyway, so I removed the diodes in the resonance bypass and used a 18K filter, plus some other minor mods to get it to work and sound the way I wanted.

Distortion
I used 4069 distortion circuit taken from a Wasp schematic. The amount of distortion is controlled by the master volume level that is sent into the circuit.

Stereo
The JX-1 has stereo sound and effects, so I kept the setereo image intact by duplicating my circuits and using dual pots for control. Since the resonance on each filter runs at a slightly different rate, it creates a nice stereo image effect.

More Power
I added too much for the 100mA +/-12V regulators in the JX-1, so I had to replace them with 1.5A ones. I also increased the capacitors used for the 12V power regulators.

Also, an update on my portable stereo speaker box. I changed it to 20 times amplification and added the option to use a DC power adapter.

elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's awesome. A week or two back I picked up a JX-1 in basically the same condition (I think I may have more keys Wink) for about the same price. I didn't have the Roland power supply, but I had a 12VAC transformer and a plug that fit, so now I have a supply too Smile. I haven't yet figured out what I'm going to do with/to it, but that's pretty inspirational Smile
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
I haven't yet figured out what I'm going to do with/to it, but that's pretty inspirational Smile

Cool. Let me know if I can be of any help. I found the service manual online and it helped a lot.

http://www.jacobwatters.com/JX-1_SERVICE_NOTES.pdf

If you plan on using the +/-12V lines then keep your mods minimal and/or upgrade the 78L12 and 79L12 to 78M12 and 79M12.

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBOS....

That's a ravishing shade of blue you have there on the vco tuner Smile .
very nice build , i love the jabberwokky too , great design.

it's about time i started making some blue modules again , heh Smile

Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 8 of 16 [384 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: