electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 extended patches
Some new modules and patches made with that
Page 1 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
brunov

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Some new modules and patches made with that Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I found some extra modules in the editor that actually seem to work!

It's a "resonator" module and "driver" module. I don't know exactly how to use them or connect them, you can see them below in the screenshot.

There are some more modules that never made it into the G2, I tried some of them, but not all seem to work. Maybe because they don't exist in the G2 firmware, or maybe I haven't formatted the message correctly.

ModuleType ShortName
======== =========
AR-Env
AudioIn
Blue2Red, seems to be a testing module
BusIn
ClkDivFix
35 Driver -> Works!
EnvDX
LfoD
Mixer6-1A
Mixer6-1B
OutBusA
OutBusB
PeakFollow
101 PolarFade -> Doesn't seem to work
120 PolarPan -> Doesn't seem to work
10 PulseOsc -> Doesn't seem to work
Red2Blue
56 Resonator -> Works!
207 RndChaos -> Doesn't seem to work
RndDistr
RndState
RndStep
SeqA
104 ShelvEQ
14 SyncOsc -> Doesn't seem to work

The bottom screenshot shows some of the modules I tried sofar, so only the Resonator and the Driver worked, but interesting none the less!

I wonder what the driver is supposed to do...

[NOTE by Blue Hell: this was split off from http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-48872.html ]

Result_33.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.45 KB
 Viewed:  1181 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Result_33.jpg

Result_34.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.49 KB
 Viewed:  1151 Time(s)

Result_34.jpg

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazing discovery! I suppose they expected the G2 to be successful and add / finish lots of interesting modules over time.
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like physical modeling. The Driver is clearly an exciter model, used probably to excite the Resonator (which is also likely to be a typical PM resonator - it's set to strings at the moment). Strange that it lists pretty much wind/brass exciters, while the resonator has strings added in (the "tube" would represent the body of the wind/horn). There is a bow exciter listed, so that must be it. Probably a short burst of noise could be used in lieu of a proper pluck exciter.

This is exciting stuff, especially given that A: they work! and B: my long lost G2 returns to me next week, so I can play with 'em.

Nicely done, sir!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The polar thingies once were available in some beta ... can't recall why they were retracted exactly ... anyway, there might be some code too in old beta's, just too bad they were handed out under a non disclosure agreement.
brunov

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suppose the "drive" inputs/outputs are meant to be chained like so.

These two modules seem to be the only ones that work. That's a pity, the RndChaos, PulsOsc and SyncOsc seem interesting also.

I'll try and make an intermediate release soon that include these two new modules.

Result_35.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.9 KB
 Viewed:  58219 Time(s)

Result_35.jpg

brunov

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made a release 0.24 that includes these modules.

If you already installed the OS editor, you only have to download the zip and extract it somewhere on disk.

Otherwise you'll have to install the libusb-win32, then please read and follow the install instructions in the readme file carefully.

veta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
The polar thingies once were available in some beta ... can't recall why they were retracted exactly ... anyway, there might be some code too in old beta's, just too bad they were handed out under a non disclosure agreement.

yes. it would be terrible if that code got out in the wild somehow.

if some unscrupulous individual were to post it somewhere anonymously...
well, i would hate to see something like that happen to clavia.
especially given their impeccable track record of supporting their customers, fixing bugs, updating the editor, etc.

brunov: you are doing amazing work. is there any chance of a mac version of your editor?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! Great find!

Please do us a favor. Save a working patch built with the Driver and Resonator modules and post it here. I would like to see if the G2 Editor (mine is version 1.40) can load the patch and edit it. If that works, it might be possible to have a template patch that contains all of these working hidden modules that could be used with the G2 Editor.

My theory is that these hidden modules can be edited once they are in a patch, it’s just that the G2 Editor software just does not allow you to *add* these hidden modules while editing a patch.

This is all just very good work brunov. Bravo!

varice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

veta wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

yes. it would be terrible if that code got out in the wild somehow.

if some unscrupulous individual were to post it somewhere anonymously...
well, i would hate to see something like that happen to clavia.
especially given their impeccable track record of supporting their customers, fixing bugs, updating the editor, etc....

Oh my, that would be just so terrible!!!! Laughing

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked cheers

That's amazing! If these modules turn out to be usable it's a more important find than the Higgs particle!

Ok I exaggarate (though just a little bit), but really, awesome work! Very Happy Very Happy

brunov

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Varice, I'm going to upload the patch but I'll be surprised if it works.

I'm on G2 Editor and OS version 1.62 and when I try to load it, I get an error message "Module doesnt exist."

For the modules we're dependend on the G2 OS, there's no way we can make changes to the OS. Somehow they forgot to take these two modules out of the OS or forgot to put them in the editor.

With these other modules, changes are slim that they exist somewhere in the OS. The only thing I do is to send a message from the editor "Create module type 56" to the G2, for the driver and resonater this worked but and for all the others the G2 responds with "Error 3", which probably means "Module doesn't exist".

You'll get some Idea of the modules that where planned when you look at the little map of module icons.

Veta: I hope to make a mac version someday, but that won't be any time soon. Maybe this winter I'll get some time to really do some serious work again on the editor.

I uploaded a small example of some sounds I made with the patch.

Resonator.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Resonator.wav
 Filesize:  4.5 MB
 Downloaded:  1582 Time(s)

Resonator.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Resonator.pch2
 Filesize:  1.76 KB
 Downloaded:  4540 Time(s)

module_map.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  module_map.bmp
 Filesize:  339.35 KB
 Downloaded:  1020 Time(s)

brunov

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
If these modules turn out to be usable it's a more important find than the Higgs particle!Very Happy
Very Happy
varice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brunov wrote:
Varice, I'm going to upload the patch but I'll be surprised if it works.

I'm on G2 Editor and OS version 1.62 and when I try to load it, I get an error message "Module doesnt exist."

For the modules we're dependend on the G2 OS, there's no way we can make changes to the OS. Somehow they forgot to take these two modules out of the OS or forgot to put them in the editor...

brunov, thanks for the test patch. I couldn’t load it with the v1.40 Editor either. I got the same error message. Rats!!!

Well, I’ll just go ahead and install your open source editor then to check out these hidden modules. Thanks again for your excellent work Exclamation

veta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the resonator sounds great in the wav you posted, brunov.

perhaps this discovery deserves it's own thread?
varice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

veta wrote:

IMHO, I would think so, especially for posting patches using these hidden modules that are not compatible with the Clavia G2 Editor…

drapdap

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! Very Happy excellent work Bruno!
it does sound neat...

veta wrote:

Also could make Bruno's Development sticky, so it stays on top?
btw. the fixed clockdivider was active till 1.12 or something, than they changed it to the variable one, so that one should work too, maybe a bit pointless to have it, but oh well, luxury! Very Happy
brunov

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried the static clockdivider but sadly no, g2 won't have it. I guess we just have to be happy with whatever falls our way.

Alle these other modules have a distinct "test"/"prototype"/"not really ready" feeling about them, but I'm really happy with the driver/resonator.

The driver has 4 modes "Reed", "Bow", "Lips" and "Mallet" but for one reason or another the last two are crossed out. Maybe they don't want us to use them...

Then the resonater has 5 algorithms: 2 string and 3 tubes.

They are quite expensive DSP wise, can only have 6 per patch on an expanded G2 and the you have to devide them over VA and FX location.

But if you patch'm like this, taking the input from another slot, you can make some really big sounds. Razz

Result_36.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  200.91 KB
 Viewed:  1000 Time(s)

Result_36.jpg

drapdap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, no dsp usage meter in the open source editor??? 'Twisted Evil'

brunov wrote:
I guess we just have to be happy with whatever falls our way.

shure, but looking at the list one can`t help wondering...

EnvDX?
maybe a 16 stage envelope? Very Happy

about the resonators, i remember Tombola patched them up, i wonder how they compare (i'm not near my engine now, but soon, can't wait to try them hidden modules) anyway, here's the thread...
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-12177.html

there's a bit of misconception about resonators, in computer/dsp world they mean these tracked/excited oscillator/delay whatevers, (Very Happy) and in
analog modular world they mean bandpass filters, (i guess) since the korg ps3200 and the polymoog... always confuses me.

anyway, keep us updated Bruno! this is exciting!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made this topic Sticky, as suggested. Thanks...

Since the open source editor is mentioned on the very first page of this topic, I'm not sure what splitting would accomplish.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
drapdap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I made this topic Sticky, as suggested. Thanks...

wonderful, thanks Mosc!
brunov

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I made this topic Sticky, as suggested.

Thanks!

drapdap wrote:
about the resonators, i remember Tombola patched them up, i wonder how they compare

I did a little compare, they sound quite different. I bit more rough maybe. They are very sensitive around the self-oscillating frequency, especially the "tube2" algorithm, which can result in massive clipping of the output.

I'm very happy that it's these two modules that work, since they might be difficult to reproduce with other modules, so really interested what you can make out of these. Very Happy

Maybe you can als figure out what to do with the "Excitation" input of the driver module.

drapdap wrote:
EnvDX? maybe a 16 stage envelope?

I would love to try it out, but I can't find the corresponding icon in de module icon map. When it's on the module icon map I can figure out which module type number I have to send to the G2.

drapdap wrote:
Hey, no dsp usage meter in the open source editor???

Well, eh, sorry, no, that requires solving a bit of a puzzle that's beyond me at the moment.

I had a try earlier, here's a tabel in which I've put the data out of "resources used" message dat the G2 sends after adding a module.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqgnqbP0tPvDdGpnNW80X2RlRVVXR08xUHlvV0RiRlE

I figured out that there are 10 or 11 parameters (resources, delay memory for example) and out of these the "Cycles" and "Memory" should be calculated. But the problems is, I don't know what the parameters are and what there bounds are.

So, have to do without for the moment, unless maybe someone else can see any logic in this table?

JLS

Audio files: 30
G2 patch files: 316

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi brunov

Nice work two new modules is great for me.

Please some info about RndChaos module - this sound interesting - please test it again - true not working ? any chance ?

Many thanks info and your great work.

Kamil

https://github.com/jlswbs
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic work Very Happy
anigbrowl

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazing! I just downloaded the new version, and although I have some difficulty with the libUSB (because I am using AMD64?) I am looking forward to try the new modules.

Shocked
Page 1 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 extended patches
Jump to: