electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
question about modding a Chaquo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
moonagedaydream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: question about modding a Chaquo. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a elby Chaquo for eurorack. what i was wondering is if there is a way to add CV control over the oscillator. The chaos section is great, but it seems like the other section is just taking up space. is this possible?
synchroton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, there's not much you can do without a major overhaul of the circuit. It's really there so that you've got a signal source which is already coupled to the chaos generator, which doesn't function without an external driving signal. If you want something that's more voltage-controllable, you should check out the Chaotica which Elby is now offering as well. Same size, way more voltage-controllable.
thermionicjunky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Yusynth quadrature LFO is a VC version of the ChaQuo oscillator. You could compare them and see if you could hack in the extra circuitry with some knd of daughter board.
moonagedaydream

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, thanks!

i'll try and dig that up a little later, i'm about to head back to school.
moonagedaydream

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, i looked over the schematics. I can see where they are bringing in the CV, but i can't really tell where the cv section ends, and the normal circuit begins. would i have better luck just ordering one of these? http://bridechamber.com/VC_Res_PCB.html
thermionicjunky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or, if you're really interested in VC chaos, replace the module with Chaotica. It has a wide range of patterns, four CV inputs and a very useful reset/inhibit jack. If you have room for both, you could use it to drive the ChaQuo (and maybe modulate Chaotica with the quadrature LFO).

If you still just want to modify the ChaQuo, I think that an OTA would be a better VC resistor for this application, but that vactrol PCB might be easier to implement.
synchroton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, yeah, your simplest bet would be to use two vactrols to voltage-control the rate of the oscillator - I'd replace R27 and R32 (not certain the parts designations are the same on the elby pcb) with a VTL5C4 each. The range switch would then enable/disable the voltage control.

There are schematics for driving these floating around... You'd drive them both with the same current source, putting the 2 LEDs in series.

Where to best put the jack & circuit board, I don't really know. I added a range switch on the integrators for the chaos generator, and it fit fine underneath the Z out jack. Looks like there's plenty of space underneath the range switch for a kobiconn jack, not that it's the most ergonomic spot for it
synchroton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

didn't even bother to look at your link until now. Yeah, those would work fine but you'd need two of them driven from the same voltage - you can't use a dual vactrol in this application. But you can fit single vactrols on that board as well, i'm sure. To me, it'd just be much easier to build it on perfboard, with a single transistor and the 2 led's in series. You don't need most of that circuit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: