electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Best keyboard for Rhodes piano simulation ?
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: PSO2 RMT
Subject description: PSO2 RMT
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Patchmouse wrote:
PSO2RMT wrote:
I’m still learning from you, as I’m improving myself. I absolutely liked reading all that is written on your blog.Keep the tips coming. I loved it!
[URL=--l]PSO2 RMT[/URL]
[URL=--[/URL]
[URL=--[/URL]
[URL=--[/URL]

???

I don't have a blog, anywhere, and what tips ! ?? Question

Patchmouse.

Ignore that post, the links indicate it is just one of those sad people who are paid micro cents to sneak links onto legit forums in order to improve the google ranking. Rolling Eyes

[Blue Hell : edited the links out]
The Real MC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do you report a post?

I get real sick of that crap.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No need to report, I'll see it, or edisonrex will, or one of the janitors ... but it may take a couple of hours ... and yes, it is annoying, my guess is it is annoying for all parties involved even.
Patchmouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I find these types of posts quite scary, but that's the nature of the internet I suppose, unfortunately. This forum is the only one I am a member of, and it seems very friendly and well run, I know a lot of others that aren't, that are just sounding boards for people with some sort of an axe to grind, that's not my scene at all.

Patchmouse.
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The internet is like the downtown core of a big city. You're going to meet some nice people and some not-so-nice people. Since I'm really not that nice, when I am approached on the street by someone I don't know, I generally ignore them, unless of course there is some sort of emergency. I take the same approach on the internet. An unsolicited email or any other contact is ignored.

The post was probably generated by a 'bot running on some unsuspecting, unprotected computer. It's not worth putting any more thought into it.

More importantly 'though, how is the Rhodes hunt going?

Randy
Patchmouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Rhodes hunt ? oh yes ! Smile

I still have to go and check out that Waldorf, but also, I have spoken to a company here in the UK about vintage equipment, RL music, and they seem able to supply more or less anything, so a vintage Rhodes may be on the cards, pending a price of course. TBQH, I am unsure of my budget right now, I may be in a position to just buy a fully restored example, or I may have to go for something cheaper, and I won't know that for a few more weeks yet. But don't worry, I'll make sure I post a photo of whatever I get !

Patchmouse
Patchmouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK folks, the chase is over....

Roland RD-700NX

Unbelievable, the best keyboard action I've tried, and the best sound, end of story, I'm going to run it through a nice keyboard amp and mic it up, this thing really does have some gorgeous electric piano sound's the best I've heard. Playing quietly and sensitively was a pleasure, you forgot you were playing an electronic instrument, it just disappeared, the feel was really great, beautiful.

At the time I played the Korg SV1, which I thought was terrible, it sounded thin, unconvincing and just plain bad. It had a "valve" ....what ? it certainly had nothing like a valve sound, exactly the opposite in fact. It was so inferior to the Roland it was unbelievable

So it looks like Roland are going to get my cash, certainly based on my time playing the RD.

Patchmouse.
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good choice, I've used the RD700 in church rehearsals a fair bit, works great. Patchmouse, I just posted a tour of my toys on YouTube, and there's quite a bit about my Rhodes on it. If you're interested, just search my first and last name on the 'Tube (Randy Piscione).

Oh, and do some videos so we can hear your new toy too!

Randy
Patchmouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HA HA ! well, I haven't got it yet, but will take some photos when I do. I had an interesting time today, I tried the Nord Stage 22 alongside the RD700, it was very interesting, to my ears, there was very little difference in it, and the keyboards were both very good, not "that" much of a difference for me. I "think" the RD had the edge on the EP sounds, but I really can't be sure it was so close. The Nord had these lovely upright piano sounds though, which were quite charming, my friend said they were the star of the show for him ! and that he liked the look of the Nord more than the RD700, But it's not about looks as we know, so.............it's either red, or black !! Smile
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My rack is red, thanks to my having a G2X when I built it. Wish I hadn't sold that G2X.

I was going through some old paperwork and found out that my Rhodes might be a 1975 model and not 1974, although I recall seeing a warranty card from October 1974 so I'm still not sure. I also found the small owner's manual that came with it, and the service manual I got from CBS when I wrote them a long time ago.

Randy
Patchmouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Randy, I had a look at your video, nice Rhodes, very jealous indeed Sad Lots of interesting things there.

There is one school of thought that says it's best to move on, in the quest for new sounds, as electronic music has always been a progressive discipline in that respect, and tends to get dragged along by "fashion" as well as anything else. But there is another viewpoint, that some electronic instruments are like a violin, a piano, or a trumpet, ie, timeless, and they have entered the "language" of music and will stay and exist happily alongside more traditional instruments. But some people argue that the never ending search for new sounds is a blind alley which leads nowhere, and that we are better off focusing on manipulating, changing, and arranging traditional musical structures in the quest for originality and that we already have more than enough colours in our sound pallet. Even today there is the "sound" of the synthesizer, which means anything that doesn't sound "natural" but some instruments like the Rhodes for instance, seem to have transcended that natural/unnatural definition, and have just become assimilated into the area that we call traditional instruments, no doubt helped by it's inclusion and rapid acceptance into Jazz, which has an air of respectability and so called "taste" only surpassed by classical music, and there are certain type's of musicians who only have to endorse an instrument and embrace it for it to become a success and be fully accepted.
I wouldn't call myself a particular "type" of musician, and my choice of instruments is reflected in that, I am not sentimental about equipment, and I don't collect it, I use whatever is to hand, but finances have dictated this to a certain extent in the past, however, now I have bit of spare cash, and it's a chance for me to stock-up on what I call "bread and butter" stuff, a decent 88 note keyboard with some good piano sounds, a good hardware synth, some decent mic's etc. I am getting a bit tired of the computer lately, especially after going to a lot of music stores and trying out lots of hardware, my X-Board and computer feel like toys after that, the interaction has gone. I "am" a "musician" though, I can appreciate a nice piano, with a full size keyboard, it's a part of me, that's the way I was brought up, I haven't been in touch with that side of me for about 15 years now, I disappeared into the computer, but I'm not going to say that it hasn't been worthwhile, I have 31 CD's completed, the first 5 being done on a Pentium3, with the internal sound, so we can get used to working with anything if we have to. But I'm looking forward to having a few luxuries around, I'll still continue with the computer, and look forward to getting a laptop so that I can start gigging again, you have to mix and mingle, I'm not in one camp or the other, it's all useful, and all good, and it all still gives me a kick !

Patchmouse.
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, Patchmouse, you've been doing some thinking! Thanks for the comments on my videos, I appreciate it. Art and culture are constantly changing, and what one generation views as unusual, the next views as commonplace. Jazz started in speakeasys and bordellos, but has become an accepted and appreciated form of music. The Rhodes was developed to give people a portable piano, and even the acoustic piano was developed to give musicians control over dynamics. The first pipe organs were developed by the Romans.

The issue for synths is that there is no single sound that can be hung on a particular synth. There are some anecdotal things, like the Oberheim pad for Jump, but I don't think that counts.

The technical stuff can be fun, and I like to be always learning something. That's why I built the two Shruthis and have a PreenFM kit on my bench waiting to get started, but other times I don't like to think about it too much, I just want to play. That's why I like to play the Rhodes or an acoustic piano, there's no thinking, at least about technology. I can just play, practice, see how my chops are holding up.

There is a connection with a mechanical instrument 'though. Maybe that sounds stupid but playing a piano or Rhodes is a very different experience than playing a simulation or digital representation. For the moment, get something digital, it's certainly more convenient, but don't give up your quest for the real thing. If a beat up Rhodes comes up for a good price, get it. They are not difficult to restore.

Randy
Patchmouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keysandslots wrote:
Wow, Patchmouse, you've been doing some thinking! Thanks for the comments on my videos, I appreciate it. Art and culture are constantly changing, and what one generation views as unusual, the next views as commonplace. Jazz started in speakeasys and bordellos, but has become an accepted and appreciated form of music. The Rhodes was developed to give people a portable piano, and even the acoustic piano was developed to give musicians control over dynamics. The first pipe organs were developed by the Romans.

The issue for synths is that there is no single sound that can be hung on a particular synth. There are some anecdotal things, like the Oberheim pad for Jump, but I don't think that counts.

The technical stuff can be fun, and I like to be always learning something. That's why I built the two Shruthis and have a PreenFM kit on my bench waiting to get started, but other times I don't like to think about it too much, I just want to play. That's why I like to play the Rhodes or an acoustic piano, there's no thinking, at least about technology. I can just play, practice, see how my chops are holding up.

There is a connection with a mechanical instrument 'though. Maybe that sounds stupid but playing a piano or Rhodes is a very different experience than playing a simulation or digital representation. For the moment, get something digital, it's certainly more convenient, but don't give up your quest for the real thing. If a beat up Rhodes comes up for a good price, get it. They are not difficult to restore.

Randy

I heard somewhere that the electric piano was invented for soldiers, who were confined to bed in hospital, who wanted to play the piano, they could easily play it, as you could lay it across the bed ?
This connection with a mechanical instrument is important, some people don't understand, it's only if you've been brought up on an acoustic instrument that you really "get" this concept. I'ts ironic that what I view as my "best Cd" whatever that means ! is the one that I never actually used a real keyboard on at all, I used the computer mouse and the virtual keyboard in Reaper, it was an amazing experience for me, as it forced me to play in a completely different way, which was really beneficial to the way that album sounded. I'm tempted to repeat that process, but a part of me think's no.
Yes, I'm going to get a Dave Smith Prophet 08, the Pro 5 was one of my favourite synth's, but they are so unreliable, and I think the 08 sounds pretty good. I did a lot of tracks with the pro5, the modulation section is really unusual, and the 08 has this, so I'm looking forward to messing about with that again.

Patchmouse.
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: