electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Nexus 1
Page 2 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
I'll take that as a compliment! :lol:

Good, it was meant as such!

Some odd 30 years ago I had an idea like this one, but never got to the point of even starting on it, really nice to see someone spending time on such a thing!

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well,
After heaps of fiddling around with one of two keyboards which lost it's "B" to a tax program which only lets you type some letters!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I finally got three sets of lights happening.
I started to wonder why everything was going so slow. Turned out that during my "Lunettafying" of the board, I had accidentally removed the earth from two of the clocks. The 555 was just pumping out a high to the clock, and it was ticking over with each inhibit cycle. Found it, fixed it, next! Cool cheers
Now I can "see" just how much to reduce the clock caps. They need to run faster, so the upper limit is around 100hz. Then each event will drop into one of 4 beats in the bar.
Oh, I hadn't told you yet that it will definitely be a percussion style instrument. I've already included two stereo 3.5mm phono jacks for a stereo line out, plus a trigger in, plus,....?
The other thing is that I really need that quad AND gate more than I thought. By ANDing the spikes from the master clock, with the 4 inhibit lines going to the event sequencers, the output could reset that counter each time. So the 4 sounds would be the same each time round the bar, or,..partially, not.
Of course the other thing I need is a set of inverters. (feature creep! arGH!! Shocked )
Because,...
at the moment, each event is inhibited for one beat out of 4. The default should be for each event to be inhibited for 3 out of 4 beats, and only sound on 1. Just invert the inhibit line for that event/sequencer. So, I could invert as many as I like, and still have two inverters left over. I think inverters are way underrated anyway. Cool

Well, it's nice to have my keyboard back.
Gotta go finish the fourth set of LEDs.

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you don't have room for more ICs, transistor inverters are easy enough to make.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is very true Joe. Smile
I've just started fixing the stripboard layout to see how much room I'm gonna have. I don't want any of these sequencer issues to spill onto the daughter board, as there's already alot planned for that. I've started eyeing off another small space though, which could hold another 40106! Laughing

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the schem for the new sequencers.
I'm setting up this default layout, but keep in mind that apart from being hard wired to the clocks, all the other inputs and outputs are SIL strip (some *2), and from there it's all in jumpers. (Apart from the LED arrays, which are also hard wired (now via plugs!))
I've taken the inverted inhibit lines to the secondary sequencers. This way one will follow the other, but I discovered that I could also have this inhibit signal reset the next sequencer in the line.
This way each subgroup of gate events will have the same rhythm each time around. (This too could have exceptions to the rule!)

Hey Jan,
I'd love to see if this could be put together on the G2 Demo Cool

New-Sequencers-20-8-12.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.65 KB
 Viewed:  324 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

New-Sequencers-20-8-12.gif

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
I'd love to see if this could be put together on the G2 Demo 8)

All of it sketched sofar?

That last bit would have to changed a bit I guess ... G2 has 8 tap binary counters.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Couldn't you just use 5 * gate sequencers?
Each with their own clock?

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah it is a ring counter I see now, not binary - yeah a sequencer would do it then.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay,
there should be a fairly good stripboard layout coming soon. It will be big, and may include stuff that not everyone wants, but you can pick and choose which parts to copy, if you're interested. There'll also be a stripboard layout of the two vactrol controlled filters, but that hasn't started yet.

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just starting to read and think about thtis thread but I like the part where you suggest SIL strips for occasional reprogramming. I like that sort of stuff.

Looks like a great gate or rhythm base so far, I'll have to keep reading.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a rough idea of the stripboard.
DO NOT BUILD THIS!!!
It's still got heaps of errors. (maybe you can find one?)
It's actually quite hard drawing a board which has already been built. All the kludges have to be adjusted if anyone else is ever going to build it.
But the thing I wanted to show was how it's turning out to be quite a good "medium" level Lunetta Project. I never thought it would go this far !! LOL!?!

The brand new part is the RHS 30%, which is mainly two starved 40106 oscillators, each with their own storage caps, pre, and post transistor.
Can give this a once over Joe, and let me know if there's any obvious fault there. I'm hoping I can squeeze a hex exclusive OR between the two, as this would be a good mixer. All re-patchable to some other use of course.

BTW All resistances being equal, will halving the capacitor double the frequency, on a simple schmitt trigger inverter oscillator?

Stripboard-25-8-12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  664.82 KB
 Viewed:  245 Time(s)

Stripboard-25-8-12.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, C11 was back to front. Fixed.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did heaps of work on the stripboard, and installed the inverters, XORs and one of the two oscillators. Then I tried testing, and all the LEDs were stuck on one output! Crying or Very sad
I couldn't work out what had changed, as the LEDs were working fine.
Then I realised that in all the work I'd done on the old part of the circuit, I'd inadvertantly removed theonly bypass cap which had been installed on the original! Shocked Add to that an extra 4 chips, and,... sorry captin, she canny take no more! We've got stray capacitance and bogus resets in RED ZONE PROXIMITY!!! Surprised
Needless to say, the job right now is installing 3 * 10uF electrolytics on the main branches, and a 100nF on the solder side of every chip. I've used greencaps, cos they look like big green bugs crawling around under the board! Cool Laughing

Oh, and here is a look at the stripboard at this stage. It's still not finished, but it's all in the right neighbourhood. Part numbers are completely wrong.

Stripboard-6-9-12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  689.12 KB
 Viewed:  199 Time(s)

Stripboard-6-9-12.jpg

Stripboard-CS--6-9-12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  804.81 KB
 Viewed:  178 Time(s)

Stripboard-CS--6-9-12.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll be posting new schems soon too, but I've got a few other jobs to get on top of first. Rolling Eyes
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well,
I fixed up the cap issue, and I've now gotten my first sounds out of Nexus 1!! Cool
This is just one gate out of one of four gate sequencers, so your only hearing change in one out of four beats. It's driving one of the starved 40106s with two oscillators mixed with a couple of caps into a piezo speaker. Mic held in front of piezo.

First Sample 6-9-12.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  First Sample 6-9-12.mp3
 Filesize:  1.93 MB
 Downloaded:  1012 Time(s)

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I breadboarded up Ray's WSG filter section, and hung it straight off the 4070 XOR gate. That was being fed the output of two oscillators set up on one 40106. Starved through a 2N3904 from a few outputs of one of the four gate sequencers. I brought the gate sequenced outputs over to the trigger in of the 3904 through a new jumper, which is a "Three way diode OR gate jumper" (I'll have to come up with an acronym for it! Laughing ) Which is a very handy thing. It's a flexible connector which can cover the whole board if need be, with three leads on one end going to a heatshrinked lump of 3*4148s. One output of course. Works great.

As far as the filter is concerned,
There are some bad points,
The frequency cutoff control only seems to effect a narrow band, and the resonance doesn't seem to do anything, no matter where the cutoff is set. I may have fudged the build, it has happened before,( Rolling Eyes ) but I think there may be an impedance mismatch as well, as what I did get was way too soft to be a 9Vp-p signal.

Anyone have any ideas about what to keep and what to lose from the front of the WSG filter when you hang off a 4070 output?

There was also a really good point,
Sitting tweaking the controls and listening to random mp3s is a blast! Tweaking the overall tempo, then the event spacing per beat, then the note tuning with a small screwdriver. Absolutely mesmerising stuff!! Very Happy

There was even a point where I left it running and went over to the workbench. Media player decided it was time for Radio Activity (the track) and just after that the gate sequencer got out of sync and changed the beat. This loaded the caps in a slightly different way, and the oscillators shifted their pitch.
I suddenly realised I was listening to this thing jamming with Kraftwerk! And,....... It had put itself in perfect timing, and pitch!!........... I kid you not! Shocked Laughing

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:

There was even a point where I left it running and went over to the workbench. Media player decided it was time for Radio Activity (the track) and just after that the gate sequencer got out of sync and changed the beat. This loaded the caps in a slightly different way, and the oscillators shifted their pitch.
I suddenly realised I was listening to this thing jamming with Kraftwerk! And,....... It had put itself in perfect timing, and pitch!!........... I kid you not! Shocked Laughing

Whoa whoa whoa hold on, how in the fuck did it do that!?

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's possessed I tell you!! Shocked
It's been imbued with some bizarre spirit!! Laughing

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the idea for the oscillators.
The third XOR input could go to points B, C or D instead of A, depending on the delay (phase) relationship you want. Initially I couldn't get it to start at all, then I added the 100K around the first stage on each group of three. That got it going straight away. There is definitely a phase shift between the stages, possibly even a feedback effect which changes the tuning quite radically. At one stage, turning up the frequency actually dropped the tuning! Confused Cool

Does anyone have any ideas about this? How to improve it? Any problems?

Oscillator-Idea-29-9-12.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.63 KB
 Viewed:  186 Time(s)

Oscillator-Idea-29-9-12.gif

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm thats a nice odd one, did you try making that 470 ohm resistor larger instead of adding that 100k resistor? or both?

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to try a few options which could eliminate that 100K.
I tried different cap options, and I'd like to fiddle with it more.
The thing I'd like to get happening is that the second and third stages need to delay the pulse by a fraction of the main stage. The problem with that is that I only want one "tuning" control, without adding much more than is already there. Of course if they are fixed, then they will represent a different fraction of the main delay, depending on where the tuning is set. This could be a problem, or it could be a feature. The trick will be to decide on a set of values which are interesting for either end of the tuning scale. I'd like to limit the fundamental frequency to be between 220hz and 880hz, but the calculations for that are dependant on not one cap and a variable resistor, but three caps, two fixed resistors and one variable one. Confused
I suppose I should start by tying down the values for the 2nd and 3rd stages. But can I assume that their values will create a definite delay time between stages? Not if there's a 100k bleeding some of the first stage back into itself!
So it gets a bit complicated, but I think it could result in a really rich sounding wave, if I can work it out.

Starting from scratch, (remember this is all Rs and Cs temporarily stuck into SIL strips) what values would you try Joe?
Is there any chance you could find the time and space to breadboard one of these up and give me an idea about how it responds to northern hemisphere conditions? Laughing

BTW I just realised that 500R may be too low couple the stages. (and therefore the 1U would be too high)

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:

Starting from scratch, (remember this is all Rs and Cs temporarily stuck into SIL strips) what values would you try Joe?
Is there any chance you could find the time and space to breadboard one of these up and give me an idea about how it responds to northern hemisphere conditions? Laughing

BTW I just realised that 500R may be too low couple the stages. (and therefore the 1U would be too high)

I thought that too, about the 500 ohm resistor, try 47k and a 100pF cap. I'm afraid I don't have time to work on this, I'm on my lunch break from packing to move house Laughing
I'll tell you about some of my plans in a similar vein; I plan to make similar circuitry to get pulse width modulation from only square waves- the monostables/pulse stretchers will add just about half a millisecond to each pulse, varying that time length will give you differing pulse widths. You could put some logic after that to combine the initial signal and stretched signal to get phase shifting. But I can't figure it out right now.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay,
Here is the oscillator (half a 40106) as I have it set up right now.
Before anyone says anything about these inductors doing virtually nothing, I know, they were all I had at the time that was easy to stick in! I'm actually thinking this could be a great place for an 8R/1K transformer! (argh!! feature creep!!!!)
Anyway, I've looked at and listened to it both ways, and it's better with them in.
There's great phase differences between the A-F pickup points, (up to 90deg quite easily at higher frequencies) but I must admit I haven't got the XOR hanging off it yet. When I hook it up, everything goes dead. Is 100-300K a good size going out? Do I need pull-down resistors? Earth all the other inputs? (BTW I got a great random modulation by leaving one which I wasn't using floating!! Smile )

Osc-tuned-8-10-12.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.93 KB
 Viewed:  162 Time(s)

Osc-tuned-8-10-12.gif

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's all the schems so far.
I'll use this as the place to get the latest ones.
Designators should be all fixed now, so let me know if there's anything amiss.

Clocks.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.1 KB
 Viewed:  144 Time(s)

Clocks.gif

Sequencers.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.25 KB
 Viewed:  147 Time(s)

Sequencers.gif

LEDs.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.38 KB
 Viewed:  142 Time(s)

LEDs.gif

Oscillators.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.22 KB
 Viewed:  151 Time(s)

Oscillators.gif

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Major samples
Subject description: Use with credit
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, here are some samples of what is coming out of Nexus 1.
The first is just started up how I left it, then I start playing with the main volume, which is a 1Mlog divider from the 4070 output, to ground, into the front of the WSG at the 100nF cap, then to the 750K.
These samples are all stereo, with just a soft limiter.
Sorry, I've changed all these uploads to mono 256K mp3s, as they are heaps smaller for basically the same thing. If anyone wants the stereo versions, or, for that matter, the .wavs, PM me.

Nexus Volmon.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Nexus Volmon.mp3
 Filesize:  649.26 KB
 Downloaded:  964 Time(s)

Last edited by Uncle Krunkus on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Page 2 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: