electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
issue boosting volume on loop station
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
unipsychologist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: issue boosting volume on loop station Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I'm new to this site, so please let me know if I'm posting to the wrong forum (the options are intimidating). I have a Boss Loop Station that I'd like to use with a mic instead of a line input. Since it's not designed for vocal input, it was really quiet (I'm listening with decent headphones), so I was told to get a pre-amp. I found an Audio Buddy pre-amp (like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/m-audio-audio-buddy-2-channel-preamp?src=3WWRWXGP). Since doing that, the volume has improved, but it's still not great. Is this because I bought the cheapest pre-amp I could find? Is there anything else I can do to raise the volume a little higher?

Please respond to me like I'm a dummy because I don't know the first thing about this stuff. Thank you!
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks like it should work. It is hard to guess what is wrong without seeing the setup in action, but the way troubleshooting in audio works is; you eliminate from one end to the other, step by step. Some suggestions:

Try an other mic, if that works as expected then the problem is with your mic.

Try connecting the outputs of, for example, a CD player to the LoopStation. If the levels are ok, the problem may be with the preamp.

You mention headphones - are these connected correctly? Headphones only work with a dedicated headphone output.

You could also buy a small mixer (which normally has a mic preamp too) for the mic and this will allow you to mix other signals with your voice, and loop those too.

Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: