electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Ableton
Live 9 and Push
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Live 9 and Push Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Automation enhancements
    Updated browser
    New sounds
    New Glue Compressor and updated studio effects
    New Audio-to-MIDI features (eg. what you sing converted to MIDI) Shocked
    Enhancements to MIDI note manipulation
    Suite now comes with Max For Live, which in turn now comes with 24 new M4L devices
    New Push controller (w/ velocity and pressure sensitive pads)

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/new-in-9/

Some old stuff on VIRB
clementshawes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitely an attractive bundle, shame I've not long bought Live 8 Suite and Max4Live - it'll be a little while before I can afford the move to 9.

I notice Max4Live now used Max6 which, coupled with the Push controller, makes me wonder if there's an update to the LiveAPI along with all of this...

Viva la Live!

cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
Definitely an attractive bundle, shame I've not long bought Live 8 Suite and Max4Live - it'll be a little while before I can afford the move to 9.

I notice Max4Live now used Max6 which, coupled with the Push controller, makes me wonder if there's an update to the LiveAPI along with all of this...

Viva la Live!

I think Live 8 will fill my needs for life. I bought Max/MSP & M4L when they were on sale, and haven't even touched M4L yet. Max/MSP is very deep and requires a lot of time as well. It's too bad this stuff wasn't around when I was a teenager and had a lot of time. Wink

clementshawes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, I've no doubt that Live 8 will suit me for years to come yet - I only started using Live on the launch of 8 so at least there's been some longevity - I also tried to be honourable and bought the full suite with M4L after using an 'extended demo' version for years.

It sometimes feels silly using some of the Max patches alongside Reaktor - sure, my CPU is screaming but man, not as loudly as my FX Very Happy

cappy2112

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:

It sometimes feels silly using some of the Max patches alongside Reaktor - sure, my CPU is screaming but man, not as loudly as my FX Very Happy

Not sure I follow you there. I haven't used Reaktor, but have seen videos of it.

Do you think Max overshadows Reaktor, or vicer-versa? Seems like they would complement each other quite well.

clementshawes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahhh, that's sort of what I was getting at - yeah, they compliment each other beautifully - the following comment may be subjective but I feel Max is suited more so at the midi-side of the process whereas Reaktor can and does do wonderful things with audio.

That's not to say that Max can't do audio and Reaktor can't do MIDI - just my experience/use of the pair leads me to that conclusion.

Max has a far-wider audience in that it's not music-centric - I think Cycling may well go a lot further with the Max product than NI can/will with Reaktor - it was a smart move building it into one of the leading (and, arguably, trendy, DAWs).

If you want an example of the sort of FSU Reaktor is capable of...
TwistedTools

Saying that though, Max4Live
BeatWife

cappy2112

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
Ahhh, that's sort of what I was getting at - yeah, they compliment each other beautifully - the following comment may be subjective but I feel Max is suited more so at the midi-side of the process whereas Reaktor can and does do wonderful things with audio.

That's interesting. If you look a the video tutorials on YouTube & Cycling74,
you'll see so much audio & video manipulation with Max.

The TwistedTools & BeatWife plugins look quite amazing too.

The thing about Max for me- is, it's very powerful but is hard for me to get my head around. I'm a software guy by trade, not a musician. Max seems as though it was created for musicians and artists by software people who are also artists. I have a feeling it would be easier for me to adapt to if I didn't write software, or was more musically inclined. Wink

I also like Plogue Bidule and Audio Mulch. I see them more as sound generation tools than visual programming languages (Max), but I suppose in a general sense, they all could be considered as visual programming tools.

The world has grown up ever since we ditched the "64K' limitation l-)

clementshawes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am to understand that both platforms have their fair-share of off-putting learning curves but that Max eases this by allowing you to approach using other, existing languages - such as Javascript, C and Python; while Max, itself, uses a dot-notation approach (similar to a lot of popular languages).

I guess it depends on your intended usage as to which one will get you further - I might guess that Max has a brighter-future at the present given it's spread with the Ableton market AND it's standalone popularity.

Whether this will lead to the possibility of Max being a profitable platform for anyone beside Cycling' is unknown to me. A user can develop a Max patch and export it with the run-time whereas a Reaktor patch can only run in a full version of Reaktor (excluding some commercial packs which run in 'Player); this, to me, locks out a lot of opportunity...

In the context of Live, yes - yes, I think Max will overshadow Reaktor in time...

cappy2112

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:

Needless to say that- I doubt many people would have expected nor conceived of software of this complexity and power being available and for such reasonable prices, say 10-15 years ago.

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just purchased the Live 8 Suite after talking to my friend Pete (raise your hand Pete! Very Happy ). The last time I messed around with Live was back at version 2 or 3 and I didn't care for it then. It seems to have really matured as a product and I'm looking forward to working with it now. Being that I just purchased it I'm eligible for a free upgrade to 9 when it comes out....looking forward to that!

I've watched a few vid clips on Push...that looks REAL interesting!

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Ableton
Jump to: