electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Nord Lead 1 Modification
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
cbright9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Nord Lead 1 Modification Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
Recently i cut my nord lead 1 in half. it took up too much space so i opened it up, found a whole other PCB that was responsible for a large part of the keys and so i removed it and found that it still works. so my next step was cut the rest of the nord chassis away. So it is now 1 and a half octaves. the issue im having is this:
When i turn it on it says 2.3 i believe, and then says rA and then operates fine except for the pitch bend and the mod wheel do not work at all. what is going on here?

photo-6.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  953.56 KB
 Viewed:  765 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

photo-6.JPG

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh...
You are asking what's going on here...?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
(Synth has been reduced to fit the page...)

Anyway, the main operating part of the OS doesn't find the Keyboard any more, so it assumes it is a Rack. Probably you cut away something important...

Maybe someone from Clavia can tell you what to do. Sending some parts to install.

Wout
cbright9

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i didnt cut anything other than the metal that cases the synth and the extra plastic that the keys i removed were connected to. there are 2 PCBs that are responsible for the keys; one large PCB with the higher pitched set of keys that starts after the last key you see in the pic, and one PCB that starts with the lowest pitched key that continues to the last key you see. i simply unplugged the large PCB and cut the case down to size. it really is a cool modification. (i admit my metal working skills could use some work)
At any rate, im assuming that "rA" means its in rack mode? is there any way of toggling between the 2 modes?
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, the synth is doing it all by itself. When it detects the Wheel, PitchStick and Keyboard it 'knows' it is a Lead, otherwise it will be a Rack. Or the connection between Wheel and Stick is gone or it has to find the Keyboard.
I don't know exactly, but Clavia can tell...

Wout
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice mod! Laughing Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, cutting your synth in half.... thats a friggin GREAT idea.

please let me know the tools you used to do this, looks like a real neat job (im guessing you used a blowtorch and a spoon).

thanks

cbright9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ill admit, its not the cleanest job, but then again, neither was your (mom and/or sister), and while im making valid points, with the few issues the board is having, it still functions better than your (mom and/or sister).

The only thing your underaged reply to my post is missing is the wonka meme. So i did it for you...

Grow up

wonka.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.17 KB
 Viewed:  23841 Time(s)

wonka.jpg

bubzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would be offended by your post but
a) im too dumb to understand it
b) the image you posted makes me laugh so much, i mean, whats the chances of someone else actually saying EXACTLY the same thing i did? genius

Last edited by bubzy on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
cbright9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"crickets"
bubzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

?

bucs_cricket_m_4(1)[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.35 KB
 Viewed:  23816 Time(s)

bucs_cricket_m_4(1)[1].jpg

audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that's a sticky wicket!
bubzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think its a wicky sticket
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please, keep the discussion nice and friendly.

Wout
[forum moderator]
audiodef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe it's wicked sticky.
pablomastodon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: NL1 Mod
Subject description: keeping it friendly
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1) check wire connections from mod wheel and pitch stick to panel board

2) check C17 and C19 on panelboard. The config is NOT auto-driven. The keyed versions use 0.1uF caps in those positions; for the rack versions those are replaced with jumpers.

just my two cents, but someone who does a total hack job, literally, on this synth, after which the pitch stick and mod wheel no longer work, then joins forum as noob seeking free advice on how to undo the damage...well, that someone should be coming with a large degree of humility and some thick skin, because a certain level of mild teasing/abuse can be expected (and is probably deserved)
audiodef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The craze is catching on, it seems.

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/546873_10151290011387348_1293076051_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/251570_10150268974157348_6004973_n.jpg

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just saw this thread now, and I LOVE IT! How did I miss this?

Anyway - I don't know if you ever fixed it, but if you could fit the PCB you removed into the shortened case and plug it back in then the synth would have no idea that the keys are actually missing.

It would be like one of those old housewife reality shows where the women still think that they are young and good looking, but their faces look like they have been molested by a wolverine and the skin from their necks stretched up above their eyes.

adnauseam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Synth Chop
Subject description: Comedy gold
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure wrote:
I just saw this thread now, and I LOVE IT! How did I miss this?

Agreed. First thing I read today as I was poking through. Laughed quite hard almost sprayed coffee on my screen. (the wonka post)

I admit this is one ballzy move!

cbright: You may have some success finding another complete Nord Lead to observe the architecture of the stuff you cut away. There's likely some clues to point you in the correct direction.

-adnauseam
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: