electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
My work so far!!! Ideas please!!!
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
astroman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: My work so far!!! Ideas please!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a few weeks I've built a great drone machine. Heres a quick demo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nucRHs_BlqQ

The description explains whats happening

Looking for ideas to make it blip rather than just drone. Advice would be great! Thanks!
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Astroman,

I think that there are a couple of reasons for the lack of response.

Firstly, the link takes me to a screen headed YouTube, but when I click on the picture, RealPlayer starts up and then fails to run the video (I think that's what Uncle Krunkus was alluding to in your previous thread). I've not tried putting videos on the site yet, so I can't really say why it's not working. I eventually managed to play your video by going to the YouTube site and pasting "nucRHs_BlqQ" into the search box.

Secondly, you say that "The description explains whats happening". I can neither see nor hear any description. I can (kind of) guess what you're doing, but I think that we need a little more information!

Sorry if this sounds a bit abrupt - it's not meant to be Very Happy Perhaps someone who has posted videos on the site can give you a bit of help here...

Gary
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dougseidel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well i love it!
analog_backlash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I re-read my comments and they do sound a bit harsh. As I said, could you give a bit more information on what you've sone so far. Is it based on the 40106 + 4002 circuit that we discussed in another thread? I'm thinking that if you want more beeping, you could try gating some 4093 oscillators on and off using the 40106 oscillators, but without some idea of your current circuits, it's a bit difficult to answer.

You're video looks good - I haven't got into the YouTube thing yet. I'll do it one day...

Gary
astroman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers for the replys guys!!!
Analog..........no worries! I thought I'd put a description on the Youtube vid.
Basically, an LFO based on a 40106 with a 10uf cap, 2 40106 oscillators, and twin 4093 oscillators. The 3 40106 modules have seperate chips.
Theres also a 4015 module.
dougseidel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there are still a lot of things you can do with what you have, sound wise!
E.g., you can use the output of one oscillator as the power source for other oscillators, or use varous mixing methods (diodes, logic gates, LDRs) for combining outputs. you can use LFO type square waves to control one or more LEDs, and then shine those blinks onto an LDR controlling the freq. or output level of other oscillators, etc....!
also, there are great sounds from using modified speakers, torn, or with things jangling on the cone, etc. or putting the speaker in a long tube or resonant space, etc. or swinging the speaker around.....

analog_backlash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Astroman,

Thought that you might like to hear this, 'cos it's a bit bleepy! I have to credit JingleJoe for this, because it was inspired in part by his Electron Fluctuator design (but without the power starving, at present):

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-54483.html

This is my first attempt, so I'm sure it can be improved upon a great deal. I really just made it up as I went along. There are loads of unused gates here, so bags of room for improvement.

Enjoy(?)

Gary

Bleepy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  470.99 KB
 Viewed:  544 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Bleepy.jpg

Bleepy Test 1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Bleepy Test 1.mp3
 Filesize:  2.76 MB
 Downloaded:  1046 Time(s)

analog_backlash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Bleepy Sequence Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello again Astroman,

Just been experimenting again with a similar circuit, but I've used a 4024 binary counter to supply the gate pulses to the 4093 inputs. This means that all of the gates are "synchronised" so that you get a set, repeating sequence. On the diagram (sorry, it's hand drawn again) I've shown the connections that I used in this example, from the 4024 (IC2) to the 4093 gates (IC3). You can choose any of the outputs Q1 to Q7 to connect to the NAND gates and each combination will give a different sequence. I've used the clock output from IC1a to gate IC3a, but this could also come from IC2 Q1-7. For the clock, I've used a single 40106 inverter (as it was already set up on my breadboard) but any low frequency CMOS oscillator will do (or even a 555 timer, come to that). I thought that it was more interesting than my earlier circuit, so I thought that I'd post it for you to try out (if you feel like it...).

Gary

P.S. In case you don't know, the output of Q1 is at half the clock frequency, Q2 is a quarter of the clock frequency, Q3 is one-eighth...

Sequenced Bleepy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  440.44 KB
 Viewed:  507 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Sequenced Bleepy.jpg

Bleepy Sequence Test 1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Bleepy Sequence Test 1.mp3
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Downloaded:  1015 Time(s)

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A nice way to get more bleeps is to run the outs of a divider like the 4040 to the data inputs of a 4512 8 channel data selector. The 4051 also works in a similar fashion.

Run an oscillator into the clock input of the 4040; this will give you some octaves to sequence from the 4051 or 4512's data inputs. What controls that sequence are the ABC controllers on the 4051 or 4512. They choose which octave gets played or sent to the common output pin on either ic. Feed these controllers some logic; perhaps from the outs of a shift register or even some slow oscillators.

The output pin of either the 4512 or 4051 will play a blippy, bleepy tune that you can alter by changing what goes into the ABC controllers. These data selectors are easy to wire up and are a perfect match for divider chips like the 4040.

Of course, if you had 8 oscillators, you could connect them to those data inputs and change things on the fly, but that's a lot of oscillators Laughing I! Oh, and check out the 4046 pitch tracker circuit buried somewhere in this forum. It"ll offer you a ton of tonal sweeps, blips and lasers from a 4046 and a few parts. Feed the output of anything you patch or create into it and enjoy Smile

analog_backlash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know that his isn't my thread, but thanks Draal for giving me new ideas to try as well. Just in case astroman (or anyone else who's interested) hasn't seen it, I used the 4051 in my "Super Stylophone" sequencer:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-54950.html

Here I used the 4051 (sort of) back-to-front to the way you are suggesting (i.e. with 1 input and 8 outputs). The A, B & C inputs were supplied by a 4029 up/down counter, which give a set sequence. I also added a randomizer (using the unfortunately obsolete and increasingly hard to obtain 4006 shift register) to select the A, B & C inputs of the 4051, based on Ringmad's original posts. This is also included in above thread (but look to page 2 for the final version). With the benefit of hindsight, I should have started new threads for these two circuits, but I was new to this kind of thing and I wasn't totally sure what I was doing Confused

The 4046 is also on my "chips to play with" list, as it can be made to act as a very simple CMOS VCO and as a frequency multiplier (that being a bit more tricky than frequency division).

Gary
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal, what you suggested there reminds me a bit of slacker's melody generator (atleast that's what I know it as) let me see if I have a schematic ... I know I used it in a few things.

Found it! I used it in the melogitron 4000, it's the 4017 and 4051 connected like that, the other stuff is extra bits I added.

melogitron schematics.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.31 KB
 Viewed:  14380 Time(s)

melogitron schematics.png

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: