electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
top five keys
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
griff505

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: top five keys Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The top five keys on my G2 trigger different sound than the other keys. This doesn't see to be a keyboard split issue.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Sorry if it is simple, I have just got this synth and can't seem to find a solution in the manual. And also creating my own patch doesn't stop it from happening.

Thanks!!!

Mark.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

I'm not sure I understand. Do you meant the top 5 keys on the G2 keyboard trigger totally different sounds? Different patches?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
griff505

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The top five keys on the G2 keyboard give a fuller sound, not different patches. The G2 is not in performance mode.

Strange, huh?
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try hitting one of the other keys, (not the top five), the press down a little to get the aftertouch going. Is that the same sound the top-five keys give?

(just wondering if the top-five keys have something going on with the aftertouch mechanism)
griff505

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

they sounds more like they play chords, ot maybe affect the filter in some way.
griff505

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm starting to think something is miswired.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like it. Is this a brand new machine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
griff505

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No I just got it secondhand.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea. I'd make a very simple patch with just a single square wave oscillator and see if that does it. Maybe the keyboard is busted like you say. Try looking at the MIDI out stream with a MIDI monitoring tool like MIDI-OX or something. Make sure it's sending out the correct value for each note.
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
they sounds more like they play chords, ot maybe affect the filter in some way.

This is a modular synth, so nothing is ever hardwired. MOSC is right recommending a patch that is just a square wave. then you should just get pure tones out for each key. To check the aftertouch if you don't have a PC with MIDI-OX or similar, connect the keyboard module's touch output to something obvious, like OSC pitch, or envelope, or even a MIDI Automate Module that is assigned to a knob. (with the last option, you'd visibly see the aftertouch happening).

I asked about the aftertouch, since it is a pressure "strip" that physcially runs the length of the keyboard. If something is happening to a whole portion of the keys, the aftertouch strip may be to blame. Either way, you should check things like:

1. Each key is generating the appropriate Note#.
2. After touch works for each key correctly
3. Velocity works correctly for each key.
griff505

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, the problem is now clear. An on-screen keyboard shows that the top 5 keys are playing 3 other notes in the scale below them.

I have no receipt for this, does anyone know how much Clavia charge for repairs if that is the avenue i need to take?

Last edited by griff505 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no way to take it up with the seller?
griff505

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, i've emailed to ask them if they still have the receipt as they purchased it in December.

Hopefully i can get it fixed for free. Who knows......
Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the same problem on my old yamaha dx21. if is the SAME issue, isn't a synth board problem but is due to keybed misfunction. Try cleaning keybed contacts.

see ya

griff505

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I may try that. If i build up the confidence to open it up.
griff505

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone know what screws to remove??
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Opening isn't that big of a deal, If you download the instructions for the DSP upgrade off the Clavia site, it tells how to do it in there. Doing that won't invalidate your warranty (as far as I know). Then go to a computer store and buy a can of air, (or if you have an air compressor, use that).

Also, while it's open, make sure all the ribbon cables are seated properly on the connectors, and nothing looks "out of place".
griff505

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tried the compressed air, and had a look around inside.

Must be more than just dust on contacts.

I wonder if Clavia will respond to my query?
griff505

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

still no joy here, i spoke to someone today who said it doesn't sound mechanical. They suggested that i reset the OS on the synth. Anyone know how to do that??

I also took the keyboard out and gave it a good cleaning.
griff505

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone know if there is a way to reset all the G2's settings??

Thanks.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reload the OS should do it, files and instructions on Clavia site.
Keys are scanned in a matrix, rows and columns, seems like a big coincidence that there are exactly 32 keys below the top 5 functioning correctly. Have you checked the connectors to the keyboard itself?
griff505

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah i've disconnected and reconnected the keyboard. and i have updated the OS and it still remains.
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: