electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
5200 rpm vs. 7200 rpm
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: 5200 rpm vs. 7200 rpm Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

helping my brother put together a Mac system ...he wants a laptop but the drives run at 5200 rpm..i am pretty sure this is too slow for serious audio, but i can't seem to find a link or page anywhere that can back up this claim...

can anyone help with a link or such.... ?

thanks in advance....

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Performance is improved a bit (15%) but battery life is reduced. click here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dmosc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It should be noted that that's the only 7200rpm laptop drive on the market and I don't think it's a mac option. You may be able to get the Hitachi drive in your laptop but it could be a project...
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Powerbook = 5200 RPM

It will do fine for small projects.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Powerbook = 5200 RPM

It will do fine for small projects.

yes it's a powebook in this case

so, can one expect more than , say, 8 tracks of 24 bit audio running off a 5200 rpm drive..is that a reasonable guess... ?

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you setup you system properly, it shouldn't make much of a difference. 7200rpm drives spin faster, and the ONLY uptake is that you get faster seek times.

However, for larger audio files, you shouldn't be seeking very much. Make a seperate partition on your drive for the "current" project you want to work on. Format it clean before starting your project (ie- before you copy working files into it, or begin recording). This minimizes fragmentation on the drive, so the files will be 1 continuous stream on the disk: once the audio file has started recording or playback, the drive won't need to seek elsewhere, it's already where it needs to be.

You shouldn't notice any difference, especially if the drive has an 8MB buffer or larger, until you hit over 25 stereo tracks in the mix. (I mention stereo, since they are interleaved into one wav/riff file).
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had the Hitachi 7200 on my PC laptop for about 1 1/2 years, and it has never failed me. I use it for music as well as for DV video editing with no problems what so ever. Howard is right, the laptop's battery lasts maybe an hour and 20 minutes.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Macs are a bit different, so some of the PC strategies dont really make much sense.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dmosc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
If you setup you system properly, it shouldn't make much of a difference. 7200rpm drives spin faster, and the ONLY uptake is that you get faster seek times.

Well, I won't comment on a mac but a 7200rpm hard drive in a laptop can mean much more than just lower seek times. It also has a higher bandwidth which, to me, is perhaps the most underrated performance feature in a computer. Hard drive bandwidth effects almost every application you run and is especially important during boot times.
paul e.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
This minimizes fragmentation on the drive, so the files will be 1 continuous stream on the disk: once the audio file has started recording or playback, the drive won't need to seek elsewhere, it's already where it needs to be.

You shouldn't notice any difference, especially if the drive has an 8MB buffer or larger, until you hit over 25 stereo tracks in the mix. (I mention stereo, since they are interleaved into one wav/riff file).

ah ok....thanks for that information...that maks sense

dmosc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's at least worth getting a 5400rpm drive over a 4200rpm drive. Hopefully the mac gives you the option of 5400rpm. Most cheap PC laptops don't even tell you what they put in so it's likely a 4200rpm.

Cache helps certain apps more than others and I'm not sure how much music editing really benefits from it but this is something drives vary greatly on from 2mb to 16mb.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is entirely off topic but i originally read this thread title as "5200 bpm vs. 7200 bpm" Shocked
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zynthetix wrote:
...as "5200 bpm vs. 7200 bpm" Shocked

Shocked

Makes you think, doesn?t it. Scary.. What would that be like?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Cache helps certain apps more than others and I'm not sure how much music editing really benefits from it but this is something drives vary greatly on from 2mb to 16mb.

Most drives (at least all Quantum/Maxtor drives) will read-ahead...knowing that you are reading file "A", the disk will continue to read file "A" ahead of the actual read requests (like ESP...it figures you're going to reuqest it anyway). And the only place to put this info is in the drive's cache-- so more cache = more read ahead and more files accessed at the same time). So, when it comes to dealing with multiple files, the disk will manage reading ahead into several read requests, so the data is "already" available in the queue.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Like this, overhere, 4200 bpm included as well, when things get fast enough they end up to be slow ??

Sorry for the OT

Jan.

rpm.mp3
 Description:
4200 .. 7200 bpm

Download
 Filename:  rpm.mp3
 Filesize:  386.33 KB
 Downloaded:  2285 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, Jan. That is one of my favorite all-time posts. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Like this, overhere, 4200 bpm included as well, when things get fast enough they end up to be slow ??

cool...must be breaking the space-time continuum. shakng2 compress
paul e.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

Sorry for the OT

Jan.

a strange and beautiful sound....

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: