electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook"
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your reply Tim. Seems logical. So Ill order it.

Good luck, good 2010 all!
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys,

Did this book ever see the light of day?

I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere.

All the best

Andy
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bob,

STILL chugging away on this one. Seems like the magic ingredient is always time (or lack thereof). We will have this out soon though, I promise!

Tim (could really use a time machine now) Servo
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info.

Bit of a shame as I am trying to get my head around the XR-2206 and noticed a whole section in the book from the TOC.

I just got the synth for the 21st century book from Lulu in pdf form but it is only schematics, I will just have to work out what the hell is going on from there Smile

Thanks for the help

Andy
acidblue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Hi Guys,

Did this book ever see the light of day?

I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere.

All the best

Andy

Same here, I see a few reviews of the book,(all good), but no book Sad.
What happened?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All,

Sorry for the many many delays in this. Between some personal stuff with my wife (her back went out and required weeks of bed rest), hectic days at work (very busy now at Tesla!), and having to move (man, I have SO much crap!), I've been swamped/overwhelmed/mucho busy and haven't been devoting time to Magic Smoke lately. It looks like things are "normalizing" a bit, so I hope to get back to it and start doing more Magic Smoke stuff. So to sum up, I'm not dead yet!
Smile

Tim (typing to you from amongst all the boxes in my living room) Servo
acidblue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
Hi All,

Sorry for the many many delays in this. Between some personal stuff with my wife (her back went out and required weeks of bed rest), hectic days at work (very busy now at Tesla!),
Smile

Tesla? The electric car company Tesla?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

acidblue wrote:
Tim Servo wrote:
Hi All,

Sorry for the many many delays in this. Between some personal stuff with my wife (her back went out and required weeks of bed rest), hectic days at work (very busy now at Tesla!),
Smile

Tesla? The electric car company Tesla?

Yeah, that Tesla. It's a great job, and we seem to be getting busier every week! We're hiring like mad, but it's still the busiest job I think I've ever had. One of the things I've done recently is move a lot closer to work, and while the move has taken all my time over the last few weeks, it cuts about an hour a day off my commute time. Hopefully this means a little bit more time to get back on top of Magic Smoke stuff. Smile

Tim (#1 perk? I get to drive a Tesla once a month) Servo
sonic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love to get my hands on this book in any shape or form. I don't suppose anyone has a used copy they want to sell me? Otherwise I'm glad to hear that the Magic Smoke edition is still in the pipeline. Can you give a rough realistic estimate of when you think it might be finished, Tim?
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi guys!
any news on this book?
is an adbandoned project?
thanks
a.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys,

Definitely not an abandoned project! It is still in the works, and I'm about 2/3rds through it. Sorry it is taking so long, but this pesky thing called life keeps popping up!

Tim (pop tart) Servo
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the info tim! keep us informed on the progress if life is sometimes poppin' up not so much! a.
forbin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tim, how is progress? Have just finished the Henry 555 VCO so now i have:
X4046 VCO
VCO-1
21st century VCO
XR-VCO
555-VCO
and all the parts to make the 8038-VCO (even an etched board) except the schematic....
GreenMindGlass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject:  VCO Chip Cookbook Back!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Thomas Henry's "VCO Chip Cookbook" now shipping through Magic Smoke / Lulu Publishing!!!

I ordered my copy last week and it should be arriving today!
I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for over a year now, I'm extremely excited right now. Time to get some VCO's cooked up Twisted Evil
GreenMindGlass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject:  VCO Chip Cookbook Back!!! - LINK
Subject description: Link to book at Lulu site
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the link to the book:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/thomas-henry/the-vco-chip-cookbook/paperback/product-20629567.html

Use coupon code JANBOOKS13 to get 20% of your eBook or printed copy Cool
ashleym

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tip. Downloaded now. And we have the Ray MFOS book coming!!!
sonic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic. I've been waiting on this one for a while. Got one ordered straight away. Looking forward to getting stuck in. Thanks Tim! We appreciate your efforts!
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Guys,

Thanks for beating me here with the link! Actually, you can go here and choose either the PDF or printed versions:

www.lulu.com/spotlight/magsmoke

It's been a bit of a journey, but I hope you'll all like it! Got more stuff coming in 2013, so keep your eyes and wallets open. Wink

Tim (designing away, maybe even something good) Servo
Dego

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will it be available in iBooks as well?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dego wrote:
Will it be available in iBooks as well?

Initially, no. To create an iBook, I have to run all the files through another conversion process. While this is nowhere near as involved as the original scan / OCR / edit process I did, it does take some time. Also, please note that the iBooks we sell include DRM (Digital Rights Management - meant to discourage pirating and illegal copies). This is true of all iBooks sold through Lulu, and is one of the conditions of being able to offer books through iTunes. While the iBook files are generally less expensive, they can't be transferred easily from one computer to another, and they can't be printed out. These restrictions are not present in the PDF files we offer. The DRM restrictions at Lulu are supposed to change in March, but I'm still not sure exactly how. Until then, I'll stick with the printed and PDF versions.

Thanks to everyone who has posted about this, and especially to those who've purchased a copy!

Tim (iNerd) Servo
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just picked up a copy of this, £11 for a 124 page book is a bargain, and i find Thomas' writing style really easy to follow.

Now to hunt down the rare ICs for less than £11.....
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: The Thomas Henry "VCO Chip Cookbook" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a few 8038 and 566 chips in stock, and they do show up at vendors from time to time (places like Futurlec and others are worth checking every once in a while). These chips show up on eBay all the time, but it can be tough to separate the fakes from the good ones, even when buying from the same vendor over and over. If you're looking for the 2206 (probably gives the best performance of any of the chips listed in Thomas' book), then Jameco still shows them in stock for about $8. I have a bunch of 2206 chips I bought online, but they seem to be seconds or something like that, as they only work properly at lower voltage levels (11V or less).

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_34972_-1

Cheers,

Tim (Tune in to my new reality series "Chip Hunters" this fall) Servo
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi tim

Sorry, i was thinking on the way home, that sounded a lot bitchier than i intended. Sarcastic droll British humour...

British humor

If you do have one or two of those chips to sell that would be awesome. Im also a bit worried about fakes too. Ill read the book and drop you an email. Smile

Tayda actually sell teh xr2206 i bought 2 but have not tested them yet. Not got anything to test them with as of yet. .

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/xr-2206-xr2206cp-xr2206-monolithic-function-generator-ic.html
forbin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanx Tim -- i will try and get the 8038 vco up and running pronto!
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought my XR2206's from Unicorn Electronics; I haven't tested them all, but the one I put into the el Cerrito seems to work fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: