electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
E-MU Mo'Phatt - What do you use it for?
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: E-MU Mo'Phatt - What do you use it for? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a Mo'Phatt and I was wondering what you, the other users do with it? See, I like to experiment around with my gear and haven't settled for any particular style at all, and don't think I ever will. I wouldn't call myself a big fan of 90's urban types of music and do something like experimental hard house/electro-funk, somewhere between Justice/Daft Punk, Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode. I did use the Mo'Phatt before but couldn't help but feel like it's stuck in 1990's Urban land and I guess I'm looking for some kind of a validation that it's not as restricted as it seems to be. So what exactly do you use it for? Do you use it as intended - for Urban, Hip-Hop, etc, or do you mix things up and (mis)use it for something totally different? Do you actually create new sounds and beats that are untypical for this machine or do you stick with what's already there? What presence does it have in your studio? Is it your main machine or do you use it as a fill-in for some parts in your compositions? Or does it just sit around collecting dust? Some Input and/or samples of your work with the Mo'Phatt is highly appreciated.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the XL-7, which is the same thing as the MP-7 with a different rom. It's actually a very powerful synth that can take on any character you want, just ignore the presets. Scroll through the instruments and make your own patches. The patchcord architecture approaches the flexibility of a modular, with the added bonus of the rom sounds for e.g. drums and acoustic instruments. You can do plenty with just the basic waveforms like saw, square, etc. In addition to the two LFOs, there are three random generators that are nice for adding human feel, such as random velocity, filter or panning on each note. You can layer up four sounds on one patch, and switch between them with velocity, midi control, or randomly. The control surface is also quite nice with 16 assignable knobs, 16 trigger buttons, and an octave of velocity sensitive pads. A big LED shows the tempo which makes it ideal as a master clock for other devices. 32 channels of midi and 128 voices, independent arpeggiators or step patterns on each channel - you can't find this kind of synth power for what these are going for now (under $300).
I have one in the studio, and one in my performance rig. Each is loaded with 4 roms. They are controlled by Nord Modular G2X. The G2X has knobs mapped to critical parameters for performance, and also generates sequencer patterns. The XL-7 is used mostly as a sound module, control surface, and rhythm pattern player. I don't use the sequencer in it. Midi A channels 1-16 are for keyboard sounds or sequences coming from the G2X. Midi B channels 1-16 are internal rhythm patterns triggered by the buttons. Many of the rhythm patterns are random, as I get bored with music that is very repetitive. My music varies from experimental ambient to berlin school to world music. Most of it is improvised, so I like to have a lot of sounds ready to go at any time. The roms I use most are the world rom, X-lead, and orchestra.

Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: