electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » PC
how to reduce hi freq noise caused by switching psu?
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ultraultralite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: how to reduce hi freq noise caused by switching psu? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't know whether this is the right part of the forum, but my example contains a switching power supply for a computer. Well I assume some people must have heard it somewhere, whether it be a laptop charger, telephone charger, computer psu or alike switching type converter/power supply unit. Such units procude an audible type of hi pitched noise.
As far as I know AC from the net is being converted into DC, then this DC is being pulsemodulated by a hi frequency clock resulting in square waves, causing some modeled AC. This can again be used for various translations to lower voltages. (feel free to correct me where i'm wrong).
I'm interested in why these type of power supplies produce audible sound at about 15kHz... and how to reduce this type of noise.
Can anyone enlighten me on this?

ruchdutch36

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it means your psu ain't very well build for starters. Indeed uses your graphic card only 1 volt , but the they have 8 phases(or 6 or 10), everytime switch of and with a huge current ,playing games and they also uses coiles:EM-pulses. But why do you think it's your psu and not your well shielded card or a lack of grounding. Which psu and mainboard and soundcard do you use. 15khz hisssss. Is only when you use your desktop?
And if it's connected, with your output open and you go use your desktop, does the noise vary with the use of your computer?....

Do you have an open ouput which you don't use?? Is your card nearby a fan or hdd .... try to ground it extra?..... If you'resurethat it'ss your psu, why don't you just buy a good one. But i doubt that you put a 20dollar psu in a pc
with expensive stuff. I would try disconnecting ang em-source one by one in your psy and does your pc stands nearby a television. Do you use good cables??? try some other ones. Or disconnect some outside gear. It can be a groundloop. My neighbour back in the days of a commodore 16, had is pc partly coverd with alumiumfoil against em....but that's it in little tricky inside your pc .

Good luck...
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » PC
Jump to: