electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Any simple bass drum schematic? or snare?
Page 1 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
wahoah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Any simple bass drum schematic? or snare? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

Ive been serching for a simple bass drum schematic and havent find anything, a snare could be great too or a hi hat

anyone have one?
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi. I'd suggest the Korg Monotribe drums. They are transistor based. I have recently built the 3 voices on pieces of stripboard. They are quite straight forward and will run on 9V. You'll need a noise source too. I made a simple two transistor white noise generator which works fine. Breadboard the circuits first as I found by fiddling with the values I got a better result for what I wanted. I also added a open hat sound. Here's the schematic...

monotribe_schematic.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  monotribe_schematic.pdf
 Filesize:  56.41 KB
 Downloaded:  4172 Time(s)

wahoah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Hi. I'd suggest the Korg Monotribe drums. They are transistor based. I have recently built the 3 voices on pieces of stripboard. They are quite straight forward and will run on 9V. You'll need a noise source too. I made a simple two transistor white noise generator which works fine. Breadboard the circuits first as I found by fiddling with the values I got a better result for what I wanted. I also added a open hat sound. Here's the schematic...

Thanks!

what i should do with the IC on the first part of the schematic?

im guessing that mi input (the part that says BD) will be like a Control voltage input?

And could i use a 2n2222 transistor?

BDSch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32 KB
 Viewed:  58835 Time(s)

BDSch.jpg

-minus-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I did with the input is this. I removed that section you circled on the schematic and replace it with a diode, 100K resistor to ground, and 0.1uF cap. This means I can trigger the drum to fire using a gate signal of any length. I am using these drums in my logic synth/Lunetta so it is handy to be able to trigger the drum from a logic signal..

I used 2N3904's in mine but a 2N222 should work as well. Also, I added the output transistor section to the right of the schematic from Korg. I left off the PORT section and just added everything on the right of that. This gave the kick drum heaps more BOOOOM. Oh, and I used a 1K pot going to Ground where Korg have BD DECAY labelled. This gives the kick drum adjustable decay to a point of self oscillation.

monotribe bd schem.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.46 KB
 Viewed:  2051 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

monotribe bd schem.jpg

-minus-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, I should have done this before. Mine looks like this:

monotribe bd schematic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.54 KB
 Viewed:  2160 Time(s)

monotribe bd schematic.jpg

Tony Deff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Any simple bass drum schematic? or snare? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wahoah wrote:
Hi!

I've been searching for a simple bass drum schematic and haven't found anything; a snare could be great too, or a hi hat.
Anyone have one?

Aloha, Wahoah,

I built a very passable set of 8, way-back in the previous millenium, from a design published in Practical Electronics here in the 51st State.
I may still have it, but don't fancy re-drawing the schematics from the original stone-tablet carvings.

Whilst quickly looking to see if was archived on-line, I came across this set of Carillon (The bells! The bells!)

Everyday Practical Electronics 2008 PDF (scroll down to page 35).

Hells bells.
-minus-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thers some reasonabell Laughing chimes to be had from Ken Stone's Chime Simulator...

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs19_chime.html

I built this and the bells are quite convincing although not easily retuned.

Or for a kick sound you could try Eric Archers Mini Space Rockers...

http://ericarcher.net/devices/mini-space-rockers/

I built this too. There are three caps you can experiment with to get a variety of tones. This is a simple circuit and easy to breadboard and play around with. There are some sound files on Eric's site with various cap sizes and the sounds they create. I couldn't make my mind up on the caps so I used three twelve position rotary switches... giving me... 12 X 12 X 12 variations Confused
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't forget Thomas Henry's MPS. It is a lot of kit for 1 drum, but it definitely allows for everything. 3partials/RM/Noise filter.
It's a very small board too, laid out by yours truly! Cool Embarassed

wahoah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ive just breadboarded the Bass Drum from the monotribe korg, i like it but i need a little more bass and deeeper sound

any recomendations?
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/kick_and_snare_652.mp3

That's from 808 and snare stripboards from here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-37646.html&postorder=asc
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=808+snare+stripboard&t=45134
-minus-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wahoah wrote:
ive just breadboarded the Bass Drum from the monotribe korg, i like it but i need a little more bass and deeeper sound

any recomendations?

Try a few different transistors, even of the same type. I replaced the quite a bit until I found one I liked. Have you used a decay pot? That will give it more boom. The other option is to try a more complex circuit like the 808. You'll need a bipolar power supply to run it though.
wahoah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
wahoah wrote:

any recomendations?

Try a few different transistors, even of the same type. I replaced the quite a bit until I found one I liked. Have you used a decay pot? That will give it more boom. The other option is to try a more complex circuit like the 808. You'll need a bipolar power supply to run it though.

im not 100% shure of the location of that decay pot

i have a drawing right here, its right where i placed?

decaypot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.49 KB
 Viewed:  884 Time(s)

decaypot.jpg

-minus-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that is correct. Is it having no effect for you?
KRS1972

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello !

have you seen this topic ?
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28447.html

I build this one, and it is a great sounding bass drum.
grt,
Chris
EATyourGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what you want is a simple sine VCO and a monostable source like a 555 RC lowpass'd to get a decay envelope. your envelope controls the pitch of the sine wave. you can skip the VCA if you just high pass the bass drum sound right around 100hz. that should give you a nice fade out from a single envelope.
Biyi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: monotribe bassdrum stripboard
Subject description: monotribe bassdrum stripboard
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI everybody,I build this one,its a good drum sound for lunneta...for some strange reason, on the breadboard the decay bass work, but on stripboard not .... might be wrong??'s have reviewed and operates everything, but the decay of bassdum seems not working.Hey-minus-good job, I am fascinated by your stripboard designed.can somebody helps? Thankyou world!!

monotribe bassdrum.pdf
 Description:
Stripboard monotribe bassdrum..this is only bass section without amp circuit.

Download
 Filename:  monotribe bassdrum.pdf
 Filesize:  39.18 KB
 Downloaded:  1823 Time(s)

elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Several questions come to mind....

You're using a diode on the input rather than an inverter? I assume they're using an inverter because they use a negative going trigger pulse?

What is the 100K to ground immediately after the input diode?

In the original schematic, four of those five caps are 105, not 104.

I'm having difficulty following what goes where with the 470K resistor and three of those caps, but I think it looks like your stripboard matches the schematic other than the values.
Biyi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Several questions come to mind....

You're using a diode on the input rather than an inverter? I assume they're using an inverter because they use a negative going trigger pulse?

What is the 100K to ground immediately after the input diode?

In the original schematic, four of those five caps are 105, not 104.

I'm having difficulty following what goes where with the 470K resistor and three of those caps, but I think it looks like your stripboard matches the schematic other than the values.

Elmegil Thanks for answering! ...-Minus several things described above of the page, the replaced the inverter by a diode, one 100k resistor and 0.1 uf cap.
I'm not sure which function has 100k resistor, but it works very well .. guess it will be a discharge resistor, because without it does not work.
The circuit works perfectly as I said-minus-and I've been tested.
The caps = 104 = 100nf 0.1uf are correct at the basdrum., That for me it worked very well with the decay but on the breadboard, and does not work the decay in the stripboard ..
I do not know why? if it is the same circuit that apart snaredrum caps are 0.018 uf = 18nf = 183
It's strange because the snaredrum stripboard, works perfectly with the decay pot.

Thanks.
elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you tried a different pot?

Sorry if this was already discussed above too.
Biyi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes elmegil,i tried pot,resistors......iI think I'll start a new stripboard for bassdrum .. but it is strange that in bredboard work the decay and the stripboard not ... Crying or Very sad I will continue to see ,what happens!
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wahoah wrote:

any recomendations?

You can lower the pitch by increasing the caps: Try putting 0.01 or 0.05uf in parallel with C74,76,77. You can vary the pitch to a limited extent by varying R73 or R74 or R79. (Too much or too little will stop oscillation.)

Biyi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone ... the stripboard is correct! My mistake was to build it, I'm wrong mistaking one of the resistors 15k by 150k (confused the color code of resistors of 1%) that will serve me to always check with the voltmeter! elmegil thanks for your interest.
Richardc64 Thanks for these tips, I now see that you can create sounds as conga, toms etc, just replacing the caps and resistors.
Any idea to create a sequencer to trigger these modules? perhaps a 4017?

Thanks world!
Biyi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and here, the stripboard of snaredrum without noise.. soon the rest of the monotribe drum modules..i hope...

monotribe snaredrum.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  monotribe snaredrum.pdf
 Filesize:  39.17 KB
 Downloaded:  1673 Time(s)

Biyi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is the first test with basdrum and snaredrum with noise .. looks good ... the next will be the hihat ....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151753905839398&set=vb.742704397&type=2&theater
new voodoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
I couldn't make my mind up on the caps so I used three twelve position rotary switches... giving me... 12 X 12 X 12 variations Confused

Hahahah.
I did the EXACT same thing. Twice. Then put it in a box and forgot about it..until now.
Just took it out--and it still wrks!!
crazy. My mistake was leaving in the momentary switch triggers. I mean, am I ever gonna sit around pushing a button every 1/4 bar or whatever for a song or smething? Probably not.
Anyways, i think ill ebay it. If anyone here is interested, Id be glad to give it away for shipping cost.
Page 1 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: