electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
mfos 16 step quantized vary-step-length sequencer
Page 2 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
loydb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great!
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ashleym wrote:
Nice. Nice. Nice

Quite a dense panel but it all looks like it works well.

Any news on how the quantiser works? I found this, I know it's too late, and it looks interesting and so does his other stuff

http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/cvquant/index.html

Hi Ash Smile

i done all the recent mods to the 12v quantizer that were listed in the thread on this forum R1 ... 120K changed to 200K etc.
and it seems to be working ok on half notes around the middle of the keyboard range , alot of folk that do the 15V version seem to have probs , but ive not had it hooked up to my 5 count multimeter recently , tho i'll probly not use it much , i'm adept at ear tuning with the fine controls .

There is just enough room to get my finger operating the gate switch without knocking the coarse tune , phew Smile

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diablojoy wrote:
Hi Dave
build is looking good
quick question
what is the overall size of your panel ?
I have 2 to do on my list and with a feature set exactly the same as your build so your panel layout looks like a good point to work from.

Hi Diablo Smile

Thanks.

The size of the aluminium is 400mm W x 250mm H.
my single modules are all 100mm W x 250mm H.

The staggered strips of step control was the only way i could comfortably fit it in , tho when the seq is running i do a nodding head when my eyes follow the led's , up down up down Very Happy Very Happy

Good luck with your build , and take your time , planning is essential on this one.

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loydb wrote:
Looks great!

Hi Loyd

Thanks Smile
this seq would team up well with your mega mfos synth Smile

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SOUNDS..... well plenty c.v.'s going to my mfos VCO's.

quick test run , switched it on , tuned up and twiddled , then i fell into the Tangerine Dream vortex flower cyclops

In a whirlwind of patch cords i wired up the sequencer to 2 mfos vco's into Ian.Fritz - 5pulser & Ken.Stone lockhart wavefolder into mfos 24dB vcf & vca / 2 adsr's / 3 lfo's no FX units .

The sequencer is having it's melody transposed from a midi keyboard.
Using a midi to cv converter , this key voltage is mixed with the sequencer cv at the vco cv inputs.

Sorry but i couldnt resist playing the juno 106 over the sequencer 30 sec in, excuse some bad notes too Very Happy heh.

Dave.

Seq v2 mojave elevation-01.mp3
 Description:
Epicyclus --- "Mojave Elevation"

Download
 Filename:  Seq v2 mojave elevation-01.mp3
 Filesize:  5.57 MB
 Downloaded:  1175 Time(s)

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice track dave Smile
I like it a lot.
Quote:
The size of the aluminium is 400mm W x 250mm H.

cool that may work well then
I build in 2 sizes
483mm high by 50mm wide increments for my large cabinets
and
241.5mm high by 50mm wide increments for my smaller cabinets

as good an answer as any
ashleym

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The intro reminded me of the mighty.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLs0eW6IGX0

That's a compliment BTW!!!!

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Smile

Ashley ... DaF i have an old mini album by them in my record collection "Fur Immer" i think , recorded by conny plank in 1982 , kinda sets the studio ready for "some great reward by Depeche Mode" a couple of years later , good sounds on the DaF album Smile
dancelwerk

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI Skrog, perhaps you can help me with the integration of my 16 step sequencer with variclock quantized sequencer add, i put a new topic but there are not answers, perhaps you can help me, i decided add the project to my old sequencer

HI to all I made the integration of the sequencer variclock with my rotary design panel, courtesy of Thomas White and wonderfull design of Mr Ray Wilson, amazing sequence.
I have a few problems and I expose in the forum to Ray or somebody can help me.
Ok the main problem is that, I have no variclock quantize, I put the sequencer in Step Mode but when I move the pots of the variclock, it doesn’t work, the four leds of the quantize lits in the same place, there is not change. I try with the trimmer but I can´t see changes in the leds. I am using +/- 15V
For example if I turn off the sequencer and turn on, the leds lit in other combination, for example turn on: 1 1 0 0, turn off and on again and now I have 1010, again 1011, etc, always randomized.
I have not a 2 nf capacitor and I put X2 1nf in parallel for Capacitor C4, but I think this is ok. Am I wrong?
I cut the ABCD cables of the analog and digital pcb and I soldered all the cables in parallel abcd in the correct order with the variclock pcb, I trace with multimeter and ABCD of analog are connected with ABCD of variclock, the continuity it’s ok. I have +15 volts in all the pots connected to +15V rail, and ground its ok too, the x8 to x29 and x7 to x25 are connected ok with the new pots in the correct order.
I check all connections of the variclock pcb with the new and old components and wiring panel, it’s all ok
Check list
Components To Remove
• R18 (20K resistor)
• R23 (6.2K resistor)
• C10 (1uF capacitor)
• D9 (1N914 Diode)
• R43 (3.9K resistor)
• R41 (1K resistor)
• R24 (3K resistor)
• R42 (1K resistor)
• LED1 is no longer used.
• R19 (1M Clock Rate Adjust pot) is no longer used. (I let the old r19 in same place and change the connections to x34 and x4
Done

Trace Cut Between Vias on the MFOS 16 Step Sequencer Diagital Control PCB
Done

Connections in the switch
Done

X30 of vari pcb to positive of removed capacitor C10
Done

X2 of vari pcb to removed R42 where connect with UC3 pin 1
Done

Integration of MFOS 16 Step Sequencer Clock Channel Select Lines
Done

I don’t know why is not working somebody having any ideas??????
what i have to check?

Thanks in advance.

Dancelwerk.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can somebody help me about the problem i have?, i have the sequencer working perfect but the variclock expansion doesn`t works, i refer to the quantizer.

thanks in advance.
ashleym

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You arent being ignored, it is just that not many people have built the variable step length part of the sequencer. I can try looking over the circuit diagram but I probably wont be able to help.

Skrog is usually around and answering but it doesnt look like he has seen this or he would have helped.

dancelwerk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you very much, i followed the instructions of ray, i couldn't find the where is the fail, again thank you very much, i though i was speaking alone, i am sorry for the bad thoughts, Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

terribly sorry i've not dropped in , been distracted by astrophotography and a rare spell of clear nights Smile.

Hi , fault finding on this add-on is very hard to do remotely via the net , mainly because the add-on pcb requires some mods to the main sequencer pcb.
Single pcb projects are usually easy to de-bug, but this involves 3 pcbs and mods to the existing sequencer , all we can suggest is do the usuall basic checks to the wiring , component values , orientation , and power connections , other than that re-read the instructions over and over again to see if they correspond with what you have wired up & built so far , it may take time but you will eventually find the problem , with the amount of new wiring involved it really is like looking for a "needle in a haystack"

Best of luck , this add-on requires a fair bit of thinking / planning and is not to be rushed , start at the begining and go through all your work , somewhere along the way a lightbulb will illuminate and a sense of revelation will come over you Smile

Dave.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: thanks for answer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heyyy, sorry for the late answer, i didn't see the post, thanks a lot for answer me, ok i have to recheck all the schematics and cables, i think i will find the the error, at last always fail the humans, not machines.

i will keep you informed.

Dancelwerk.
Ohmu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I havé exactly the same problem as you. I am using a +-15V PSU too.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello, perhaps +/- 15V could be the reason?, i have not a power supply of 12V,

is all people with the new expansion using 12V instead 15V?

ohmu thanks for the comment, i am bored to check all many times, but i have to find the error, i am sure we will find it.

keep me informed if you find the reason, of course i keep you informed too.

speak soon.

Fernando.
Ohmu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll try tonight with a 12v PSU. I'll tell you wath happening. I sent mail to Raymond ADN hé sait me that hé didń´t test the vari clock module with a 15v PSU and then maybe There are some resistor values to change
Ohmu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I tried with a +-12V PSU and it don't work. I have exactly the same problem as dancelwerk. I'll check another time for the problem.
Ohmu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi dancelwerk, do you fixe the problem?
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still having a problem with getting binary state 0001 to latch , i can select 1 step count also 3 counts to 16 with correct leds lit , i just can't seem to get 2 step counts, i'll try again over the weekend.

Dave.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no i can't, i am study the circuit, tracing and understanding the schematics, trying to find the fault, i do in my short free time, if i get something, don't doubt, i will let you know.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay Very Happy Working great now Very Happy

Had another study of the schematic and read Ray's scope photo's section text, he says...... "observe U1-A pin 2 , must be approx 54Khz" , mine was 77Khz , i popped out one end of R26 (20K) (A to D clock section) and temp. hooked up a 50K trimmer in series to try some adjustments , adjusted so the meter read 54Khz , cool latching on LED 1 now , hmmmm now i have no saturation point , LED 1 on at ground where 0000 should have no LEDs lit , ok try uping the frequency (using that temp trimmer , giving a new total resistance of 6K2 + the 20K , R26 now = 26K2) , this got the freq. to 58Khz and the span is working great even with my rotary switch set up .

Quick ... screw it back into the modular and resume music making, hehehe

Glad i kept going back till i got it fixed,
I'm Happy now.
Very Happy

Dave.
regularjackson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just built one of these over the weekend and I'm having a whole host of problems with it.
- The frequency pots fully counter clockwise are at a high frequency. as they are turned clockwise they get lower and then swing up again just before getting fully clockwise.
- The leds for the change frequency as they blink
- It will only run with the quantized clock selected, and the lowest I can get is 9 clocks per step.

Probably some other stuff I have yet to discover. Really not looking forward to combing over this one. Any suggestions are most welcome.
regularjackson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I was looking at the build and realized that I am a complete idiot and I had not actually hooked up the ground bus to ground. Almost everything seems to work now. I am stupid.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing it happens Wink
Page 2 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: