electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
what oscilloscope is everybody using
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
dragonbat76

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: what oscilloscope is everybody using Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to get a scope for analog work. It will be for all audio. I know I don't need a bandwidth over 20mhz but I really want a Tektronics 465B... However they are entirely overpriced these days.

So whats a good scope for use with modular synth building and also guitar tube amp troubleshooting and building?

really don't want to spend over 500 for it.

Also what probes do I need?

I am planning on building a modular because I have always wanted one and in interacts with my electronics hobby and my music/guitar hobby.

Thanks
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use an old Philips PM3226 scope. 15MHz max.
I do recommend a dual trace scope, it helps a lot when debugging and is fun in XY mode. An old analog scope is good enough for modular building, digital one might be handy with slow signals and debugging digital circuits.
Probes... I use the 10x probes as those have a larger impedance. Get good quality probes, thats more worth it then spending on an expensive scope.

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Part of your constraints are going to be space, as well as cost. If you have the space, my recommendation would be to go with one of the myriad old scopes you can find for reasonable prices on ebay. I don't have a specific recommendation there because I couldn't go that way.

I don't have the space. Next constraint was budget. If I had a big budget i would have gotten one of these: http://bitscope.com/ ... they do require you to hook them up to a computer for use.

But I don't have a big budget. So I got one of these: http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/DSO_Quad

The one I got was on EBay and is a different color, so I expect (in retrospect) that it's a clone/fake. However, it works as advertised. I have two complaints about it, neither of which is terribly major.

First, there is a capacitance issue on the inputs, so while the original was spec'd at being able to go up to 72MHz, really, it's limited to audio ranges. That doesn't sound like it would be a problem for you, and mostly it hasn't been a problem for me (I have done some recent work troubleshooting an old Roland S-10 where I got aliasing issues looking at clocks, but that's not my primary use case).

Second, it fills the entire buffer at whatever resolution you've chosen, before it goes again. This is a minor problem when doing one-shot triggered samples with large time scales (e.g. 500ms or 1s per division) because you have to wait a long while for it to complete, even if you've got the detail you wanted in the first screen. Save settings, power cycle, and it's done. There might be a way within the tool to set it up differently as well, I have not tried especially hard to find a different solution.

Good luck....
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an old Beckman and a slightly newr HP. 1740 I think. However, a quick look on Ebay came across Tektronix 2215 scopes for $200 or less. Here's a link to one auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-2215-Oscilloscope-60-Mhz-PROBE-/120950373072?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item1c29343ad0#ht_500wt_922

Years ago I worked with a test equipment company and these were just coming out. 60mhz bandwidth should be good for what you're doing. And the price now at under $200 is really good. If I was in the market for a scope I wouldn't hesitate on one of these. Tek has more sophisticated versions to be sure...2245 for example. But they will cost more, especially if you need to get something fixed like an alpha display chip, etc (the chips used to go out on these and were pretty pricey back then. They were used to display text info on the scope display)

There are some newer computer based systems as well that you might like. Another option is the Fluke Scopemeters. I have a model 97. 50mhz bandwidth, multimeter built in and can measure frequency too. They typically are more expensive then a straight scope for obvious reasons. The 97 was one of the first in its series, they've had quite a few models since then. Here's a link to a nice package:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUKE-97-SCOPEMETER-W-CASE-PROBES-LEADS-50-MHz-Read-Description-/120950989166?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item1c293da16e

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd say that for modular synth work, almost any scope would do fine.
You really just need something that will give you a good idea of the shape of the wave.
I was lucky enough to be given an old Hitachi dual trace, which is a beautiful piece of antique tech, let alone a very functional scope.
It's bandwidth? I don't even remember. For audio frequency work, it just needs to be above 20khz doesn't it? I don't think you'll find one that low! Laughing

Keep in mind, that I'm not really in a position to buy a new anything. So I probably have way lower expectations when it comes to this kind of stuff.

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Due to nyquist you'd want it to be 40Khz. Smile
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
I have an old Beckman and a slightly newr HP. 1740 I think. However, a quick look on Ebay came across Tektronix 2215 scopes for $200 or less. Here's a link to one auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-2215-Oscilloscope-60-Mhz-PROBE-/120950373072?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item1c29343ad0#ht_500wt_922

Years ago I worked with a test equipment company and these were just coming out. 60mhz bandwidth should be good for what you're doing. And the price now at under $200 is really good. If I was in the market for a scope I wouldn't hesitate on one of these....

Seconded. I have a 2215, and it has performed flawlessly for the ca. 20 years I've had it.
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In answer to your question in the topic i have a 465b.

some people are using these
http://www.antratek.com/DSO-Nano.html

apparently they work well and are open source so likely to be updated regularly.

edit. as already posted by elmegil

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Believe it or not i get by doing without any scope at all. I picture the waveforms and listen to them and it helps me get by. When I need to view a waveform, I run it into Audacity and look at it there. I know that's not a reasonable alternative for most folks but it works for me. I do plan to get one of those super small breadboard oscilloscopes for my new business though because I need to ensure quality control for customers.

Les

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the related auctions to the one posted above I saw this scope:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-2215-Oscilloscope-2-Channel-60MHz-/140501405355?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D902603477886744603%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26
that is the worst condition scope I have ever seen Shocked don't buy that one.

I got one of those tektronix ones for £75, I think it's the 2205, works very well :)previously I was just using some old random scope and a bunch of different valve scopes which were all over 50 years old and cost £15 or less.

I can't believe you don't use a scope Les Laughing You are like some kind of electronics Jedi, sensing the electro-motive force with your mind Laughing

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh my, that scope is in really rough shape, lol. Would be interesting to learn what lead to its current condition..
Pailo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

soltec 530

works great got it for 50$.
go find an old school who is throwing them out.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
I can't believe you don't use a scope Les Laughing You are like some kind of electronics Jedi, sensing the electro-motive force with your mind Laughing

"May the electromotive force be with you, Joe" Very Happy

Les

dragonbat76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I scored a tek 2215 for 70 dollars shipped. looked in good shape and the seller lit up both channels with a signal. waiting for it to arrive along with my klee boards
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
and a TEK 2235 from e-Bay (with a broken B timebase).
The Real MC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beware of buying scopes on ebay, most of them have a malfunction or two. The older analog scopes have many components that are no longer available. Even if you're lucky to get a repairable one, the repair bill won't be cheap.

Do not under any circumstances purchase a used scope that uses vacuum tubes. These are a repair nightmare and they use a special solder.

If you want a used 100% working scope then find a reseller that sells reconditioned scopes. You get what you pay for.

Another good source for scopes are hamfests.
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Real MC wrote:

Do not under any circumstances purchase a used scope that uses vacuum tubes. These are a repair nightmare and they use a special solder.

Don't dissmiss the valve scopes untill you're in a pinch wherein you need a scope and there's one for sale for a fiver down the old TV repair shop Laughing True story, I used it just the other day to test an output stage on the synth I made. It warmed the room up nicely Wink
The Real MC wrote:

If you want a used 100% working scope then find a reseller that sells reconditioned scopes. You get what you pay for.

I can agree with all but the last thing you said there; For precise measurements, one needs to get a decent modern one, but you can allways find a good bargain.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like your thrift, JingleJoe! DIY is as much about scrounging and dumpster diving as it is about high end fancy stuff, every one of us operates at a different budget level. Personally, I love the low end myself.

Les

tubeampguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BananaPlug wrote:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
and a TEK 2235 from e-Bay (with a broken B timebase).

I second that!
EATyourGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm saving up for a rigol ds1052e. $350 new on ebay. I started working on waveshapers and rectifiers without a scope and its a very slow process with sending steady DC voltages and taking measurements.
cbm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EATyourGuitar wrote:
I'm saving up for a rigol ds1052e. $350 new on ebay.

$329 direct from Rigol US: http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1052e/

EATyourGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:
EATyourGuitar wrote:
I'm saving up for a rigol ds1052e. $350 new on ebay.

$329 direct from Rigol US: http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1052e/

$344 with shipping so pretty close to ebay but it does save me $6.

I'm actually leaning towards getting a picoscope 2204 now. they are about $270. it would be cheaper and I can do lots of datalogging, custom apps, have a big screen and post screen captures and videos to forums or youtube.
elektromeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my business projects (Electronics and PLCs for chemical and physical plants) our engineers use Rohde & Schwarz oscilloscopes mostly. They are sitting in Munich and are know for one of the world's most important experts for measurements. They purchased the former HAMEG some time ago, so you can get cheap Hameg Equipment with R&S Knowledge know.

I personally recommend the DSO 2024 or one of it's brothers. They are worth every cent.
EATyourGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently found these 25mhz Owon scopes that should be fine for audio rates. I talked to someone that owns one and they say the tft screen is better and bigger than the rigol. so now I'm thinking of getting this.
Rigo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EATyourGuitar wrote:
I recently found these 25mhz Owon scopes that should be fine for audio rates. I talked to someone that owns one and they say the tft screen is better and bigger than the rigol. so now I'm thinking of getting this.

I am also planning to buy a scope, been comparing the Owon and Rigol ones ... the screens on the Owons have a higher resolution. Will probably buy an Owon SDS7102V, even though it is probably already too much for audio.
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: