electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Where to next?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Where to next?
Subject description: ...after being bitten by th NM bug
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interested in thoughts / opinions on where to go from here.
I have a Micro Modular which suits my musical purposes really well but I would like at least one other Nord Modular for my setup.
At the moment I'm running the MM as a performance synth with pre-recorded sequences from the G2 demo saved to and triggered from a Roland Sp404SX sampler.

I'd certainly like a G2 Rack but two things are putting me off. One of them is the price, $1000 is a bit of hard limit at the moment. The other is reliability. From what I have heard from friends with G2's, they don't seem as sturdy as the classic or MMs. Particularly the USB connection has been an issue for both people I know with G2s and I see from the forums that they aren't alone.

Would I be better off just getting another MM, should I wait for a NM rack or are my G2 fears unfounded?
adnauseam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: NordModulars Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't help you on the classic vs g2 issue as I haven't played with a G2 at all, but I can add my experience as of lately.

Watching ebay in the last couple of months I've seen NordModular rack and keyboard versions go for as little as about $650usd and as high as about 900. The keyboard versions have gone for $1-200 more

I've watched a couple G2 engines sell for around $1200 on Ebay in the last few months as well. If you could get one for $1000 you'd be winning Razz

I myself am reaching towards the NM classic for affordability.
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I really like what I can do with 1 DSP on the Micro Modular. Tempted to get another one but figure the 4 DSP would be much more useful and i'm guessing you can't sync two Micro's?.

I was outbid on a classic rack version being sold in my city (Brisbane) not long ago. Went for $560.
Trying to have enough money saved so that if something comes up locally I can jump on it.
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You see this one on eBay in Canada?
adnauseam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Yup Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed! Cool fair price i'd say
adnauseam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Syncing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't ventured into syncing two micros

I suppose one could sync via a pseudo clock

MM1 audio out -> MM2 audio in ?

Hard to do without a second unit isn't it!
adnauseam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Syncing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the very least

MM1 audio out -> pc audio in -> Beat to MIDI -> pc audio out -> MM2 audio in

adding a PC into the mix isn't always desireable but doable.

mm1 audio out -> mm2 audio in - envelope follower with the quickest A, D possible?

3 am speculation may not hit the ground running.
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These sound like decent work-arounds. Thanks for the tip!

So that i'm clear... the 4xDSPs in the NM Key or Rack models means I get 4 x the power right? So a patch that is 40% in the Poly area that will give me 2 note polyphony on the MM will give me 8 note polyphony on the other modules - is that correct?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

secretkillerofnames wrote:
So that i'm clear... the 4xDSPs in the NM Key or Rack models means I get 4 x the power right? So a patch that is 40% in the Poly area that will give me 2 note polyphony on the MM will give me 8 note polyphony on the other modules - is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Re. the G2 ... it is true that some develop USB problems, and they may all be vulnerable, yet by far most of 'm just keep working. I have 3 engines that never had any problems - knock on wood Laughing

A G2 would sound different than your MM, something to keep in mind. An advantage of it could be that it can be used to create MIDI.

secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess the positives about saving for a G2 are that it seems like there are more users, better support for the software and there are some more interesting modules and effects.

The ability to generate MIDI is not something i'd pay too much extra for though an I doubt I will find a G2 for $1000 - i'm seeing them for more like $2000 these days.
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could be a G1 Rack coming into my life soon.
adnauseam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Just got one Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ended up buying the very same G1 Key you pointed out.

In the end paid 10 more than original Buy It Now

Excited with anticipation.
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome - i look forward to sharing your joy from a distance Wink
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: