electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Just got some 4015's and 4046's
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
astroman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject:  Just got some 4015's and 4046's Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Going to have some fun tomorrow!!! Any links to good schematics using these?
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 4015 is a dual shift register that I usually just wire up to the panel.
You have 2 sets of clocks, data and resets that go to jacks. Each of these shifty fellas has 4 outs to send to various INs from other cmos or straight to an R/2R ladder, then a vco for fun. Even without an r/2r or vco, they are handy in creating unique patches.

Scroll down and you'll see the 4046 used as a pitch tracker and as a simple vco. Loads of fun and experimentation. One caveat: the 4046, as well as many cmos chips, can vary in performance in some of the more creative uses such as pitch tracking. Socket these positions so you can sub parts till you get the sound you're after.

astroman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many thanks Draal. I'm a big admirer of your blog!!!
astroman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Played around with the 4046 today and made beeps sound wet!!! Made a 4015 module before but when the Lunetta was complete I was a little disappointed with that module. Time to try again!!!
astroman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those 4046's are incredible! Kinda turns blips into wet filtered type sounds. This is the schematic I used (thanks Julien Millot).

4046-vco.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.76 KB
 Viewed:  9786 Time(s)

4046-vco.png

billsship

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should all of the inputs be high at the same time / oscillating at the same time? I'd like to see one of these action. Astroman, you should post a sound sample to Soundcloud and link it here!

Please tell if I'm right - is the 4046 in the schematic above like a quantizer? As in the input frequency is locked or held at a stable frequency? I should probably look into this more. But I'm just so fascinated about these CMOS chips. I'm to the point where I'm researching about them on my iPhone during breaks at work! Embarassed Laughing

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing I like to use the 4015 for is a triangle waveshaper, as discussed in this thread: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-52443.html .

James.
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That schematic is using the built in vco; one of the simplest ways to use this chip. Pin 9 is the vco in and slacker's schematic has a resistor ladder connected to it. Connect the outs of a 4015 or other shift register (or any logic's outs) to that resistor ladder and enjoy the tunes.

When set up as a pitch tracker, you're using more of its built in stuff like the comparators. It can get real complicated real quick trying to describe the many uses of this chip. Like I mentioned before, there's always a price for the more unusual chips; mainly that the built in stuff (vco, comparators, rc networks, etc.) can vary between manufacturers so buy a bunch of em' and socket that mother.

I take the same approach when I build fuzz pedals; the parts may look the same but do they sound the same? Socket baby Laughing ! In the end, it's worth the trouble.

@RingMAd: I totally forgot about using the 4015 as you mentioned. Thanks for the tip Cool .

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: