electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Buying parts for noise toaster
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Joebob1717

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Buying parts for noise toaster Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should I buy parts or just get the kit with the parts included?
I kind of want to buy parts because I have other parts I'm going to buy and If I combine in one order I can get free shipping.

But when looking at the parts list, I went to mouser.ca and I typed a part and several options came up, does it matter which one I get or is it fine as long as it has the part number?( ex I typed in 2n3906 and I got 2n3906BU or 2n3906TAR etc. , does it matter which one I choose?)
capicoso

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I generally just buy thousands of resistors and caps.
In your case, i would buy parts, i think it's cheaper. And you can choose to buy a bit more than the needed, just in case something gets burnt.

does it matter which one I choose?
No. Generally they're the same. Letters can vary by manufacturer, the type of package(ceramic, plastic, metalic can, etc) In your search, look at the specs, you'll see they're the same, except one has kinked legs, maybe that's why the letters changes.
Joebob1717

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, in the parts list it calls for carbon film resistors, but ( unless in looking at the wrong resistors) the 1% metal film ones seem to cost less. At mouser the carbon ones are .10$ and the metal ones are only .06$, is this right or am I looking at the wrong carbon resistors?
capicoso

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joebob1717 wrote:
Also, in the parts list it calls for carbon film resistors, but ( unless in looking at the wrong resistors) the 1% metal film ones seem to cost less. At mouser the carbon ones are .10$ and the metal ones are only .06$, is this right or am I looking at the wrong carbon resistors?

Yes they'll have the same pinouts.
Metalfilm should be a bit more expensive. Can you post the links? It can be because you're looking at higher power disipation carbon resistors(should be 1/4w or 1/2w, 1w and more are expensive and bigger) Anyways, i would just buy all metalfilm
Joebob1717

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

capicoso wrote:
Joebob1717 wrote:

Yes they'll have the same pinouts.
Metalfilm should be a bit more expensive. Can you post the links? It can be because you're looking at higher power disipation carbon resistors(should be 1/4w or 1/2w, 1w and more are expensive and bigger) Anyways, i would just buy all metalfilm

Here's the links:

Carbon film 
http://ca.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?KOA-Speer/CF1-4C104J/&qs=sGAEpiMZZMu61qfTUdNhG4Yr/CJfa5hY2Dryer8Z3dg=

Metal film
http://ca.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?R=MF1/4DCT52A1003Fvirtualkey66000000virtualkey660-MF1/4DCT52A1003F
capicoso

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

weird, at least in my country metal films are more expensive.
Joebob1717

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But metal film work the same?
From what I know the only difference is the metal film are more precise (1% tolerance).
capicoso

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joebob1717 wrote:
But metal film work the same?
From what I know the only difference is the metal film are more precise (1% tolerance).

Yes, they work the same. Metalfilm can be 5% too(mini metalfilm). They also have lower noise, i don't think it matters for synthesizers, but for fx pedals everyone uses metalfilm, except for fuzz and dists.
I always buy metalfilm, because some modules require 1% resistors.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: