electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
VCF-1 PCB layout anyone?
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
roborobert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: VCF-1 PCB layout anyone? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey there,

i'm just getting modules together for a small modular. Thomas Henry's VCF-1 is one of the filters i'd like to build, so i was searching for a pcb layout & couldn't find any...

is that possible? Wink

no problem rolling my own, but i'd rather build and evaluate sth that's already there...

many thanks (in advance and retrospect to this forum),
best, rob
roborobert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmmm...

so, also nobody is interested in a pcb layout ?

i did one in the meantime and I'm not sure if it's ok to post it here.

or maybe i should go over to the layout factory? don't know.

anyway, much love,
rob
dark000arena

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Robo,
God yes!. of course we want to see your VCF1 layout. I got this design onto a credit card sized piece of stripboard. so cool to see another persons parts placement decisions tho. This is a classic filter and quite steiner like.
roborobert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile
ok, so here's the stuff.
it's one of my first *proper* pcbs ...
it's unbuilt and untested. and it'll be a month from now until i really get to this. i crammed the stuff a bit inone corner so that the layout fits the usual 100mm of pcb material.
i double checked it, so everything should be ok.
i quite convinced that it'll work properly.
would be glad if someone could do the triple check, though...

ah - it's designed for discrete matched transistors.

as far as i searched the web, i couldn't find anyone doing or selling pcbs for this, so i guess it's appreciated to post this.

hope it's useful to somebody else.
best,
rob

TH VCF-1 parts place bw.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TH VCF-1 parts place bw.pdf
 Filesize:  151.99 KB
 Downloaded:  763 Time(s)

TH VCF-1 bottom copper.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TH VCF-1 bottom copper.pdf
 Filesize:  26.17 KB
 Downloaded:  686 Time(s)

th - vcf1.zip
 Description:
the zip contains pcb and parts placement + the expresspcb file for customization (like changing the discrete transistor version to IC version) if someone likes to...

Download
 Filename:  th - vcf1.zip
 Filesize:  204.57 KB
 Downloaded:  628 Time(s)

dark000arena

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fantastic contribution robo. Gorgeous, elegant layout and its a Thomas Henry design. Everyone should etch this. Can I ask, what software did you use to do your layout. I am heavily into Ki-cad myself.
Nardu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry VCF-1 layout on Stripboard Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello !
Here : http://electro-music.com/forum/post-385955.html#385955 , a version of Thomas Henry VCF-1 layout on Stripboard !
roborobert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey,

Very Happy thanks for your kind words, dark000arena !

i did the layout in expresspcb. it's freeware and i'd say it's only real downside is that you can't export gerber files - which is a big one but doesn't matter for me since i etch pcb's on my own.
When i was searching for free pcb-layout-editors this was the one i felt really comfortable with. very nice workflow and intuitive handling.
i attached the .pcb (expresspcb) file in the .zip folder, so one can make changes to the layout if one needs to.

Thanks also for the link to the stripboard layout, nardu!
i always preferred perfboards and never felt comfortable with strip boards.
(i guess it's a what you grew up with thing Wink )
but surely it's really good to have the link here. Also because of the LM13700 version!
Do you know if it sounds/behaves different to the CA3080 version?

best wishes, rob
paulstone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roborobert wrote:
hey,

Very Happy thanks for your kind words, dark000arena !

i did the layout in expresspcb. it's freeware and i'd say it's only real downside is that you can't export gerber files - which is a big one but doesn't matter for me since i etch pcb's on my own.
When i was searching for free pcb-layout-editors this was the one i felt really comfortable with. very nice workflow and intuitive handling.
i attached the .pcb (expresspcb) file in the .zip folder, so one can make changes to the layout if one needs to.

Thanks also for the link to the stripboard layout, nardu!
i always preferred perfboards and never felt comfortable with strip boards.
(i guess it's a what you grew up with thing Wink )
but surely it's really good to have the link here. Also because of the LM13700 version!
Do you know if it sounds/behaves different to the CA3080 version?

best wishes, rob

Hi rob
have you already build the filter with your pcb layout , will work ?

thx !
roborobert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey paulstone,

sorry for late reply, just came back from holidays Cool
due to that, i still haven't built it. but it's one of those projects next in line, especially with forum motivation Very Happy
yet, it's still too early for announcing a date or timeframe...

i'll post more when i get there.
best, r
paulstone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roborobert wrote:
hey paulstone,

sorry for late reply, just came back from holidays Cool
due to that, i still haven't built it. but it's one of those projects next in line, especially with forum motivation Very Happy
yet, it's still too early for announcing a date or timeframe...

i'll post more when i get there.
best, r

hi rob thanks

i really want build the VCF-1 , unfortunately i'm not expert in electronic cad and pcb layout so any help is much apprecciate Smile

ciao
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It might be simpler to use the stripboard layout from here then:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-58498.html
paulstone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
It might be simpler to use the stripboard layout from here then:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-58498.html

Hi

i have try the adventure to build this stripboard , i realize that there is two time R5 resistor in the layout , and in the first power is burn the fuse -12V of my powersupply . i have chek 2 time the solders and jump seems all ok
boo Smile
Nardu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paulstone wrote:
.... i realize that there is two time R5 resistor in the layout

I have corected the - R5 resistor duplicate fault ! , ( thanks again to @Jaba for his revision ).

- Bellow, the route of [+ / -] 15V power:

TH_ VCF-1 2SA798 R2_+15v-15v power route.jpg
 Description:
TH VCF-1 2SA798 R2 [+15v-15v], power route
 Filesize:  406.17 KB
 Viewed:  425 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

TH_ VCF-1 2SA798 R2_+15v-15v power route.jpg

paulstone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Nardu

i will chek again the connections Smile
roborobert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey again,

i wanted to confirm that the layout i posted is working. nicely Smile
although the self resonance is quite harsh and dirty, not sure if this is the way it should be. i like it anyways.
no possibility for pics and sounds yet. these will follow.

best, rob
roglok

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roborobert wrote:
hey again,

i wanted to confirm that the layout i posted is working. nicely Smile
although the self resonance is quite harsh and dirty, not sure if this is the way it should be. i like it anyways.
no possibility for pics and sounds yet. these will follow.

best, rob

good to hear it's working.

one thing i noticed on your layout is that the tempco is not mounted in thermal contact with transistor pair Q1/Q2. of course this has nothing to do with the resonance behaviour... regarding the sound - maybe you are overdriving the filter? what happens when you attenuate the input signal?
roborobert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey roglok, thanks for your interest!

yeah... the tempco/transistor-pair position was a strange compromise.
i wanted to limit the size of the pcb in such a manner that one could fit three of them on a standard euro pcb (160mmx100mm) and i found no way manage to do it otherwise without starting from point one again.
anyway - it's totally possible to mount the tempco in contact and extend the wires to the other side of the op-amp, so i thought it's ok.

about the resonance issue - i'm talking only about self resonance - which occurs no matter if an input signal is present or not, so that's not the reason. i'm quite sure it's just the way it is.
i'll try to record a sound sample and post it here within the next week - it's way easier to talk about it then.
roglok

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roborobert wrote:

about the resonance issue - i'm talking only about self resonance - which occurs no matter if an input signal is present or not, so that's not the reason

oh, i see... sorry misread your post. so i guess it's not a clean sinewave but self-oscillation with harmonics..? my SEM VCF clone, which is rather similar to Thomas Henry's design does not self-oscillate, so i can't really comment on that.

sound samples would be cool!

PS: regarding your earlier question about the LM13700 - it's really the same thing as the CA3080, except for the addition of linearizing diodes and a buffer for each OTA... http://www.idea2ic.com/LM13700.html
dimebucker

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any update on the resonance issue?

Just trying to decide on whether to etch this pcb, or go down the stripboard road....
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: