electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
How long does it take you.
Page 4 of 4 [82 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: a one-minute composition Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Attached is my submission for the 60x60 program.

The idea is to create a self-contained composition that lasts no more than one minute. It is not supposed to be part of a larger work but, rather, a complete work unto itself.

It took me eight hours to accomplish the entire work: composing, recording, and mixing. Since I performed the individual parts, I had to learn them, too -- though they were not too difficult.

The most time-consuming part was the actual recording of the 15 theremin tracks (five musical lines with three theremins per part). In many cases it took quite a few takes before I played the part properly.

So, not quite ten hours per minute. Smile

Molasses.mp3
 Description:
"Molasses" for theremin orchestra. Submitted for the 60x60 program.

Download
 Filename:  Molasses.mp3
 Filesize:  1.83 MB
 Downloaded:  1534 Time(s)

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice track, Kevin, it has a kind of cascading quality that I like, especially the first half.

Sometimes composing is like other kinds of writing, taking longer to get it down to a short piece than the initial, longer draft. I tend to be verbose when drafting.

Good luck with 60x60. I tried a year or two ago and didn't make the cut, but it's always exciting to try.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just heard this on the electro-music.com radio. Brilliant!

Is there a longer version? Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: a one-minute composition Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
Attached is my submission for the 60x60 program.

The idea is to create a self-contained composition that lasts no more than one minute. It is not supposed to be part of a larger work but, rather, a complete work unto itself.

Brilliant! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Manuel Marino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the Theremin is wonderful. First time I heard it was in Forbidden Planet (1956) and I loved it.
Seren

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great thread - just been reading through it and appreciating the variety of music, musician and composition everyone has described.

I read recently that DaVinci took 15 years to complete the Mona Lisa....

I am trying to complete a project that has been running for about 4 years. The composition is more sound design and I have at times spent long periods of time working on very short sections - one was very, very short cuts of a sound that would bounce about the stereo image randomly. On listening back I'm not sure anyone else will actually realise it is happening but it felt important as part of the music.

Another part was recording a source sound and then carefully separating out many of the individual frequencies - then moving them in time so they sort of roll through each other - similar, almost the same but revealing different subtleties.....
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seren wrote:
The composition is more sound design and I have at times spent long periods of time working on very short sections - one was very, very short cuts of a sound that would bounce about the stereo image randomly. On listening back I'm not sure anyone else will actually realise it is happening but it felt important as part of the music.

Fear not. I for one will notice it. I believe that spacialization is one aspect of electronic music that most of the current generation of composers ignore, or at least don't pay enough attention to. If you are interested in this, be sure to read up on the ambiophonic work that is being described here on this forum. http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-164.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 4 of 4 [82 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: