electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Ableton
stuck midi notes in Live 9 ?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Parallel Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: stuck midi notes in Live 9 ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,

i am using Laptop PC running windows XP with M-audio firewire audiophile and midisport 4x4 interfaces for many years, with earlier Live versions and never had problem...

it appeared when i got live 9.

with external synths of course only. ( especially the Oberheim OBMX, Yamaha FS1r, ...)

in general, synths connected to Ports 1 and B of midisport get stuck notes less often than synths connected to Port C or D of the midisport.
also synths connected to the single audiophile midi out get stuck notes less often. but they also do still get stuck notes.

anyway, OBMX and FS1r get stuck notes quite often, more thsn the others i think.

my midi cables are fine.

noticed that in the OB-MX (which i put it first in a midi thru-in chain just to be sure!) apart from stuck notes, i sometimes get notes not sounding! while existing in the midi pattern i mean.

the stuck notes happen much often when playing from an ableton midi pattern than whe playign the same synth from the midi keyboard.
my midi keyboard controller is an old Korg wavestation.
(with a dead battery that i never replaced, but its dead for years... anyway, i use it only as a controller, so no need for the sounds in it for now...)

any ideas?

anyone with the same problemof stuck midi notes in Live 9?

as both my interfaces have the same problem ( midisport 4x4 and audiopfile firewire midi ports) i think it has to do with thr software and not the midi interface.

thanks for the help in advance.

i have already emailed Ableton and waiting for help.
as the stuck notes happen quite often and they are very annoying.

best regards, Smile
Bakis.

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very funny - I was just explaining this to someone the other day. I have a very similar setup and have the same problem. I first noticed it on synths that I was creating because that is the only time I use a synth as a controller to control another hardware synth and route the midi signal through Ableton Live. Increasing the midi buffer size on the synth being controlled helped, but did not solve the problem.

I use Windows XP, midisport 4x4, and one of the more recent versions of Live 8 (I forget exactly what version).

I send the MIDI Out from one of my synths as a controller into the 4x4, use Live to route the control to one of the outputs on the 4x4, and then send it to the MIDI in on the hardware I am working on.

Like I said, increasing the buffer size and optimizing the code in the synth really helped to improve the problem. However, it still happened occasionally when play a lot of notes very rapidly (literally mashing the keys all over).

I thought it might have been my code until I tried a synth on a much faster proc that was coded by an expert. It did the same thing.

So then I plugged my controller directly into the synths and they worked flawlessly.

My only assumption is that it is something to do with either Live, the midisport, or the combination of the two.

What I think is happening is that the midi signals are getting bunched up somewhere and then getting spat out all at once in an effort to catch up.

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm...do you have the latest Midisport drivers? If so, can you possibly go back a version?

I recently (several months ago) bought Live but haven't done any serious midi routing other then just sending my controller into Live. I could be Live trying to control the Midisport driver.... Have you tried doing a similar setup but using a different Daw like Reaper, etc?

dadov93

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,
i have the same problem, and that with any of my interfaces.
This always happens with external unit...really annoying.
Parallel Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bought a new laptop (SONY Vaio), a new midi interface (MOTU microlite) and new audio interface (MOTU audio express) and now everything seems to be working ok...

go figure... Rolling Eyes

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Ableton
Jump to: