electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Cant get Nomad to work again!!!
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
monotremata

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Cant get Nomad to work again!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If anyone is still out there.. I once had Nomad working on my old dual G4 just perfectly. Hadnt really touched my Micro Mod for awhile and last fall all of a sudden Nomad stopped working and wouldnt communicate anymore. G4 died and Im now on my G5. I did everything the same as before, just installed the OS X Nomad, and used the midi libs included with it. My interface is an Emagic AMT8, Clavia editor still works fine, etc..

First problem I had, in the OS X version of Nomad, it would not let me select my MIDI Out port. The In port drop down menu worked fine. I could select Port 8, hit Apply and it worked. If I select a MIDI Out port and hit Apply, it just goes back to whatever it was set to (in this case, Port 1).
Today after reading some old threads I decided to download the platform independant version.
This finally let me select port 8 of my AMT on both the In and Out selections and saves just fine. Just for kicks, I opened the OS X version afterwards and Im assuming they are using the same config file cause its now set properly to port 8, although like before if I change it and hit Apply it just goes back to Port 8.

In either version Im now getting this when I try to talk to the synth:

net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.SynthException: net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.MidiException: Communication timed out: 1310244583148 [error=-1001]
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular.connect(NordModular.java:411)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular.setConnected(NordModular.java:881)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.nomad.forms.SynthObjectForm.trySetConnectedState(SynthObjectForm.java:958)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.nomad.forms.SynthObjectForm$1$1.run(SynthObjectForm.java:599)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:499)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:80)
at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:462)
at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:461)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:84)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:471)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
Caused by: net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.MidiException: Communication timed out: 1310244583148 [error=-1001]
at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.NmProtocol.heartbeatImpl(NmProtocol.java:5Cool
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular$SchedulingProtocol.heartbeatImpl(NordModular.java:252)
at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.AbstractNmProtocol.heartbeat(AbstractNmProtocol.java:154)
at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.NmMessageAcceptor.waitForReply(NmMessageAcceptor.java:114)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular.connect(NordModular.java:358)
... 16 more

Hopefully someones out there and can give me some tips! I noticed some of my errors are different then other timeout messages posted so figured I would post mine here too.. I dont get it, one day it worked fine, now I cant get it to do anything anymore..
Cryptopunk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having this same problem, I think... If I had to take a guess, I'd say Nomad recognizes that the NM is there, but the connection always times out.

This crap below is relevant to the Nord Modular, but not much to the problem stated by original poster, I started typing, and before I knew it, it was two paragraphs... ugh..

I'm new to patch editing, and I've spent the last 5 hours looking for any kind of documentation on how to get into patch editing on the Modular, as well how to even set the damn program up to work right... I'm starting to wish I didn't tell my friend I would do this for him... Everything I'm reading looks like a headache...

I have the NM going to a Tascam USB Midi Interface into my computer. I can get the thing to work in Reason as a midi keyboard, but that's about it. I'm being told I have to 'dump' everything onto my computer or visa versa, don't remember which exactly, but I can't find any documentation on either end of the spectrum. Is there anything out there?
monotremata

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go figure, today somehow just started working out of nowhere.

I decided to spend all afternoon giving this thing another go.
Just using the java libs that came with it.
My MIDISport UNO is a no go, no matter what I try. I left my AMT8 off so it was the only MIDI port on the system and nothing at all.
Clavia editor of course sees it just fine.
Spent all day once again going through the forum to see if there was anything I missed.. Tried all the 'disconnect USB, start Nomad, reconnect, etc' stuff I could find with no success.

Just for kicks I decided to unplug the Modulars MIDI cables, that are plugged into Port 4 on my AMT 8 into the PC I/O. Deleted and made a new synth in the editor, and BAM there it was. All of a sudden it started working again.
I used to always have the Nords PC I/O connected to Port 8 on my AMT8 so I thought ''hmm maybe Port 8 is just a weird one". But found some midi cables, plugged it back in to Port 8 and its still working.. I dont get it. At all.

The two pre-releases worked beautifully on my old G4 under Leopard and then one day just stopped working. I moved to a G5, and didnt get it to work once. Got my Mac Pro and still nothing but timeout errors. Im completely baffeled as to why just out of the blue Nomads working perfectly once again.. I kinda wanna upgrade to Lion so I can install Logic X but now Im afraid if I reinstall my system I might run into another 3 years of Nomad not working and on Lion I cant use the Clavia editor anymore hehe.

Well thank the Nomad gods wherever they are for somehow fixing my setup hehe!
monotremata

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay so something odd I noticed this morning. Just tried to fire it up again and once again Nomad stopped communication with my Micro.
I noticed when selecting the MIDI ports, yesterday when it worked all of my ports had their respective names on them, like Emagic Unitor/AMT8 1, Emagic Unitor/AMT8 2, etc.. Today when I was resetting up the synth I noticed, all the ports were 'generic' again and just said Port 1, Port 2, etc..

So I opened up Audio MIDI Setup, then reopened Nomad, and now all the ports are named again according to the interface. NOW Nomad connects.
So at least on my setup, the key to getting things to work is to open up Audio MIDI Setup, and then open up Nomad and everything seems to be fine.

Although now Im really wishing development wouldve progressed cause I would really love the floating keyboard to trigger notes on this thing while Im making patches hehe.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Jump to: