electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Picture of mosc and Steinway
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Picture of mosc and Steinway Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm posting this picture because I mentioned that I have a Steinway piano on another list and someone requested a picture. We bought the piano in 1998 when the stock market was high. My stock strategy then was, "sell high, buy Steinway". It was a good strategy it turns out. After the market sell-off, we don't have any money, but we have some nice instruments. To paraphrase the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, "Instruments will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no instruments." Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Mosc at Steinway (Happy Happy Joy Joy)

Anyhow, this is a Steinway model B. Many jazz players prefer the B to the larger D, which is intended for concert halls. The B has a more balanced sound than the D, but is not as loud. As a condition of purchase, we got to take a private tour of the Steinway factory (they don't offer public tours).

Under the piano are a few of Juli's guitars, mostly Martin acoustics, and my 5 string acoustic banjo. To the lower left are two of Juli's autoharps. The flag in the window belonged to my father when he served in WW-II (it has only 48 stars). The framed needlepoint behind the piano is by Juli's grandmother, Lydia Colby. My tee shirt says "Linux Rocks".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jkn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! To a have a Steinway in the house. Oh my that's cool.
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lookin' sexxy

piano looks ok too hehe no no no

gorgeous instrument....would be fun to record....

have you recorded it yet Question

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. Just recently a neighbor who is applying for a music scholarship came over and recorded a Hayden Piano Sonata. She had good timing because the piano was tuned the day before. It's not a great room for recording. There is a street about 20 feet on the other side of that wall. Under the floor is a furnace that kicks in on it's own volition.

I don't consider the piano to be part of my EM kit. It's the family piano I guess.

Actually, Steinways are a good investment. Over the long haul, they appreciate in value soemwhat like real estate. It's actually a pretty practical luxury item, if that makes sense. (source: http://www.steinway.com/steinway/sound_investment.shtml)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you don't mind me asking...

what mics did you use..or would you use..and where did/would you place them Question

zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Picture of mosc and Steinway Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
My stock strategy then was, "sell high, buy Steinway".
thumright Laughing thumleft
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that picture on the wall behind you is Michael Jackson playing a banjo, right Question

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carlo... I was just wondering about the same! Shocked Very Happy Idea

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
that picture on the wall behind you is Michael Jackson playing a banjo, right Question

I think it looks more like Prince playing a lute... Very Happy

But really, I'm curious now, who is that Question
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I especially like the angelic luminescent aura engulfing him. That, the grand, the obscene array of instrument cases, and the Linux shirt to keep things hip. This is a man who likes to show people who's boss around here. Twisted Evil

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
I especially like the angelic luminescent aura engulfing him.
refer to Mosc as: Him, please Exclamation Twisted Evil

Quote:
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He who is known as I AM? Jealousy will get us nowhere.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sheesh!

The painting dates from the early 1960s. It was painted by Margaret Rothschild an artist from Jacksonville, Florida who was a friend of my mother. The identity of the subject is unknown, but my mother used to say it reminded her of my sister. My sister has never played guitar, lute, or banjo. Shocked

The angelic luminescent aura engulfing me is an artifact of the photographic process involving bright sunlight coming in the window and the use of a flash. Idea

I'll be happy to entertain any questions about the small wooden chest, the lamp or the two rugs visible in the photo.

I take issue with the statement that "this is a man who likes to show people who's boss around here." I remind you that this is a community of idealistic artists; eliteness and superiority are unknown here. There is no "boss" at electro-music.com. I AM mearly the webmaster and editor-in-chief. We are here only to humbly serve. king farao

Thanks, Cyx. I was dying to find an appropriate use for those royal emoticons.
jkn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tell me about your hardwood floors. Thanks.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ROFL
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I take issue with the statement that "this is a man who likes to show people who's boss around here." I remind you that this is a community of idealistic artists; eliteness and superiority are unknown here. There is no "boss" at electro-music.com. I AM mearly the webmaster and editor-in-chief. We are here only to humbly serve. king farao

Thanks, Cyx. I was dying to find an appropriate use for those royal emoticons.

You know we love you! Your humility and nature are what make such outrageous comments so amusing. Fun way of saying "man, what a fine instrument there, you fortunate dog!"

-Napoleon Dynamite
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
The angelic luminescent aura engulfing me is an artifact of the photographic process involving bright sunlight coming in the window and the use of a flash.

They all say that. This has been cleared with the Warren commision and project Majestic?

Question Idea

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
mosc wrote:
The angelic luminescent aura engulfing me is an artifact of the photographic process involving bright sunlight coming in the window and the use of a flash.

They all say that. This has been cleared with the Warren commision and project Majestic?

Word down at the pub is that Howard has been invited onto Art Bell Coast to Coast to elabourate on this topic.

-Napoleon Dynamite
paul e.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'll tune in to that....
cappy2112

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Picture of mosc and Steinway Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I'm posting this picture because I mentioned that I have a My tee shirt says "Linux Rocks".

Do the Tommy gun cases under the piano help with the acoustics? Smile
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn! That looks EXACTLY like my uncle's piano and the room it's in, in Birmingham, Alabama. Maybe those ARE Tommy Gun cases...... Wink
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No Tommy Guns, just a humble collection of vintage Martin guitars, a couple of banjos, and an Epiphone Les Paul Studio with MIDI pickup.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
No Tommy Guns

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
are you sure Question

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see the gun, where is Tommy?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Jump to: