electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jexus review is in. What do you think?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Angroc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject:  Jexus review is in. What do you think? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.syntezatory.net.pl/gearlist.htm

Agree? Disagree?

While I do disagree with some points, I totally get where he's coming from. Had there been other choices for a synth with 16 voices with 2 filters and a mod matrix, I'd agree more, I think.

But mostly I am just annoyed he didn't make a video demo. And just a very short demo mp3.
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The thing with *all* synthesizers (and really any other technologies) is that personal preference will vary widely from person to person. I have sold many synths that I do not personally prefer... some for sonics, some for interface, some for duplicity. What I know is much of this is my ear and situation at the time, some others will have completely different ideas. Thus I try to avoid the definitive, without-objectivity "this synth is a fucking turd" type opinions that encourage Gearslut-y multi-page flame wars (like I think happened with this review). Laughing

I don't disagree with preferences and some of his points are valid. However, I think that his synth reviews *overall* lean quite negative and are too personal vs. objective. And thus you get some opinions that, er, seem odd and conflicting at first.

For instance. The ESQ-1 is one of his best rated synths... but the D-50 has such a bad interface that he couldn't even bother to review it? Laughing I mean, not that the ESQ-1 interface is bad, but it's not one-knob-per-function type easy... and the D-50 isn't too terrible either, not too hard to wrap your head around. Same with the AX-80, he rates it as "superb". Where I couldn't stand its (to my ears) harshish sound, and well prefer sliders to the membrane-y editing which if I recall (it's been a while) was one parameter at a time. (Yes, the screen looks cool, but still.). So I sold the AX-80 rather quickly.

So basically these reviews are personal opinions. Fair enough, eh? Cool

The A6, especially back in the day before it became "vintage" Laughing, generated a lot of love / hate type flame threads between those who connected with it and those who didn't. *shrug* I don't know why to be honest.
hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, reviews are sometimes interesting and funny to read but I really couldn't care less about anyone's opinion, let alone such egocentric attitude like this one ...
hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest, I lost any respect for this guy after watching his laughing at the lady who digs through the trash can in his "Blofeld buying" video (around 3:00-3:20, I know it has nothing to do with his demos but I simply don't like such attitude).
adnauseam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Jexus' Andromeda Reviews Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I value reviews about synthesizers about as much as I do reviews of restaurants and movies. With MANY grains of salt.

His review seems really critical and doesn't say much about any good aspects; this is a red flag.

He seems to just not like it. That's cool.

I may not like his opinion but the review was just as much fun to read as his YouTube synth demos are to watch Smile
Angroc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me too. I totally understand it's very biased and opinionated, to the point of not being a review at all, but rather a rant of sorts.

Still, I enjoy his carefree attitude towards his readers and synth culture, and his demos are always quite interesting. Just an all around entertaining type.

Which is why I am very dissapoint he didn't make a video demo. And his audio demo was rather boring. Like he didn't try at all. Are you really going to hide behind the excuse it's a clunky interface? You program the DX7 but not the Andy? Me personally I thought the Andy would be straight down that dudes alley, considering all the possibilities. Especially the FM.
SHARCRASH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that his expectations were so high that when he had the unit in front of him he just couldn't let pass the negative points he found out. He said "You expected that the price & size will at least be a guarantee of perfection?" while these words are actually and without doubt from his own mind. This had a counterbalance in his rating. In extra, he says: Besides, I'm Polish, which means that if something is on a high pedestal, I need to throw some shit on it. LOL! So yeah a very subjective review as he points out while ranting.

I find also that he underrated some aspects from Andy's when obviously it is higher than most modern synths in the market. Examples:
Modern: 1, whereas it deserves at least 2 thanks to its wide architecture and its super tweakable effects section but indeed it doesn't have exotic digital effects or oscillators, so a 2 seems fair.
Plasticity: 1, again it deserves at least a 2, actually for the same reasons. A modern synth most often can create weird futuresque sounds and therefore it has great chances to create very different type of sounds.
Versatility: 1><2, unless it's a very specific or limited synth how can you rate the versatility of such synth that low?
UI: 1, well... you get it or you don't... i personally appreciate the little differences compared to most synths, it helps you act differently with it, the Mod Matrix for example, but it works perfectly and it is huge.

Well, is the Andy really a modern synth? It has been released recently but, appart the digital effects and the complex EGs, it only uses all means of vintage technology. So it's kinda unfair to judge it with the Modern ratings and comparing it to a modern synth.

In the end, there is the hardware quality problem... I've had problems too and I'm a first owner since 2004 if i recall correctly. For this reason, all in all i wouldn't rate it as a superb but at least a proper synth.
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think he 's only showing the worst of the worst site of whatever he thinks of the A6, not very " objective "
Jerky

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I disagree. I love the modulation matrix...the sound..everything about it. It is going to replace a few synthesizers in my arsenal.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: