electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2X and moogerfooger Low Pass Filter
Page 7 of 7 [168 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it also depends on the location of the listener in relation to the speakers. Most people in a live music venue would probably not be in the “sweet spot”, on the center line in front of the speakers.

But I’m not saying that you shouldn’t give it a try. Wink

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know that Howard did experiment with it on stage ... so hopefully he will chime in.
varice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, Clavia has been hiding a secret about the Nord Modular synths all along Twisted Evil , that the stereo headphones outputs can pass DC signal levels Exclamation So, you don’t have to modify your G1 or G2 to get at least two channels of DC CV output. This discovery about the G1 was posted here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-60892.html

Gracias Nacho thumb up

I tested and verified that the G2 headphones output can also pass DC signal levels.

The G2 synth headphones output can provide two CV outputs; the left channel output (heaphones plug tip) is connected to the Output 1 signal bus and the right channel (heaphones plug ring) is connected to the Output 2 signal bus.

The polarity of the headphones output signal is inverted in relation to the G2 patch signal, so if you want the polarity of the signals to match, you will need to add a Level Converter module set to Bipolar Invert mode and connect the signal through that just before the Output module in the CV generator patch.

The maximum G2 headphones output range is greater than -8 to +8 VDC. With both the Master Level and Patch Level set to maximum (and without signal polarity inversion), a gain of 8 times the Clavia unit level of +64 will produce a DC voltage of about -8.33 volts, and a gain of 8 times -64 units equals about +8.33 volts. To achieve this maximum gain, use an Amplifier module set to a gain of 4 to amplify any +/- 64 Clavia unit signal to the maximum patch level of +/- 256 units. Then set the pad switch on the Output module to +6dB for an added gain of 2 onto the output bus. Patch signal levels much greater than these values will begin to clip.

[EDIT: to correct spelling, add details, and for clarification]

Last edited by varice on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow !!! very nice share. Thanks!
alcofribas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy Moly ! This is fantastic news ! The G2 still has secrets to reveal !
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info Varice!
dasz

G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great! Thanks Varice!
grimley

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is fantastic news. Looking forward to trying this out with some eurorack tonight.
varice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

grimley wrote:
This is fantastic news. Looking forward to trying this out with some eurorack tonight.

Cool Please post and let us know what you plan to do along with your results.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

varice wrote:
the stereo headphone outputs can pass DC signal levels

wow!

Thanks for sharing this. It will make a lotta people very happy.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
anigbrowl

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gift

Impressive!!
varice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back on 31MAR2007, Sven (3phase) replied to this topic to state that he had done the DC CV output modification. Here is part of what he wrote:

3phase wrote:
So.. ive done it now.. 2 outputs on the G2, NM1 and my hammerfall multiface...

...Btw:
Initially i wanted to modify the headphone out of the multiface but i havent found caps there... by chance its DC enabled by default... i will check that later

wow! He gave us a hint Exclamation But I never picked up the clue. The light bulb did not light up over my head. I didn’t get that spark of inspiration (like Nacho did) to suspect that the headphone outputs of the Nord Modulars might also be able to pass a DC signal. Rolling Eyes

Oh well… At least now we know. Very Happy

dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here we go again ^_^

Seems that Silent Way encoder software is capable of sending CV signals out using not DC coupled interfaces, by the mean of an encoder and a specially modified cable. I wonder if such encoder could be programmed in the G2 using its modules, and make it work with the modified cables!

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwaacencoder.html

varice

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Albert!

The Silent Way method has been proposed here before, but I don’t recall anyone posting the results of an actual test…

A post about favorable results using a G2 with Volta (which apparently works in a similar way) is here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=silent&t=39870

dorremifasol wrote:
...I wonder if such encoder could be programmed in the G2 using its modules, and make it work with the modified cables!...

After thinking about it for a bit, it seems to me that one could make a G2 patch with a symmetrical pulse width modulated output that just might work with the Silent Way “decoder” cable… Wink

dorremifasol

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll test if I find the components somewhere Razz

Yesterday I tried the Headphone output and works surprisingly well. I managesd to track some octaves of my Asys modular almost in tune!

3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

varice wrote:
Hi Albert!

The Silent Way method has been proposed here before, but I don’t recall anyone posting the results of an actual test…

A post about favorable results using a G2 with Volta (which apparently works in a similar way) is here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=silent&t=39870

dorremifasol wrote:
...I wonder if such encoder could be programmed in the G2 using its modules, and make it work with the modified cables!...

After thinking about it for a bit, it seems to me that one could make a G2 patch with a symmetrical pulse width modulated output that just might work with the Silent Way “decoder” cable… Wink

i was thinking about That too.. but not just for cv on a ac coupled output.. since i dont need that really.. i have rather the goal now to send multiple cv out of one dc enabled output by utilizing the negative and positive swing of the output signal.. but that wont work without external circuit of cause..

however..ther might be more clever waYs to achive t.he goal when external electronics is reqired anyway. modems pop up in mind for example.. that would work ac coupled.. but still brain storming.. i ve too much use with all G2 output channels just for cv tasks that i cant use its sound engine anymore.. its really time to find a more economic solution.. especially since the patches i use to generate the cv signals only use half my dsp power max.. But the g2 is such a cool sequencer..i cant use it as a synth anymore aslong i dont find a way to multiplex the cv gate output somehow..

maybe its time to do that now..maybe i can even offer a mod where this gets inbuild into the G2. like 4 cv outs and one gate and one extra trigger pulse out by just using one of the g2's output channel.. with handy mini jacks in the back.. just 6 little holes..

yep.. i ve to do that.. and its possible.. just need to find the easiest way..

and intersting question.. what is the g2's AD module sending to the analog outputs.. and the DA module? hmm interesting question.. where is my oscilloscope... maybe them can be of some use..
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just an update to the dc enabling of outputs.
I reinstalled the output caps on the G2 and gave the DC outs dedicated mini jacks. With some extra electronics..but even without extra electronics i think now its a much better mod to leave the output caps in place but have extra jacks for the dc because this way the output caps prevent dc from getting out of the main output jacks of the G2 and therfore you can keep them permanently wired to a desk while the dc outs can be permanently wired to your synth modules and its just the patch on the g2 that decides what the output is doing..no extra plugging required..

Maybe i tried to avoid to drill holes inside the G2 before knowing whether a DC output would be worthwhile.. But by now i can say it is very much worth it. And than dedicated jacks are the technical better solution. Even better with some aktive electronics that buffers and scales the output..

I showed 2 photos how i did it in this thread here
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-65263.html
varice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, having a dedicated output for the DC CV signal is the best way to go.

In my case, I can have the moogerfooger filter plugged in all the time. Then all I need to do is load one of the several synth patches I have built with the proper I/O routing for the filter and I’m ready to go.

I probably should use a buffer amp for the CV output, but it is working just fine as is. I may still build one though… It would be helpful for this:

I dream of having a rack full of analog filters of various types; a mini-moog Model D clone, a VCS3 clone, a TB-303 clone, a Steiner Parker, etc. Each of these have a unique sonic character that I think would add some desirable variation in color to the G2 sound.

Page 7 of 7 [168 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: