electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com
What are your favorite Eurorack kits?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
buildafriend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: What are your favorite Eurorack kits? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What kits are out there that work great and are a lot of fun for a decent buck? I don't feel like paying a million dollars for pre built units and I don't want to go through the trouble of designing everything from the ground up. im talking kits for euro rack modules; oscillators, FM, Step filters, etc..

thanks regardless
donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you mean full kits? Try Elby Designs. If you don´t mind sourcing parts and a frontplate, Oakley and Fonitronik are great, well designed and outstanding build docs. Fonik only does runs of PCBs though, you have to enlist in time.
Recently I built a Polivoks VCF sold by Girts23 on Muffs, he supplied the PCB, frontplate and rare parts. Nice and easy build, great filter.
Don´t really know that many full kit suppliers TBH Confused
buildafriend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interesting. thanks for the insight and I will check out the kits.

I come from the recording studio environment and I've DIY'd a lot of gear. this is why im familiar with electronics. there are many kits already available for mic preamp, compressor, and EQ circuits. maybe its much more divided in the synth world? where you more often start from scratch or buy a complete?
donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So it seems...

Bridechamber used to sell part kits, front plates and PCBs (5U and not Eurorack if I remember correctly). This might still be the case. Thonk and Synthcube might also do this now, those stores opened fairly recently. I have no experiences with them as a customer, I should add.

What I am doing is to stock up many common parts and some rare parts (such as tempco resistors and dual matched transistors for VCOs), buy interesting PCBs, order addtional parts as needed, and make my own frontplates with a drill press, hammer-on letters and "lacquer stiks" (wax-based infill). The frontplates are the most expensive parts. [/url]
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hexinverter.net has a lot of good stuff, though like Fonik he only sells PCBs and sometimes panels, not full kits.

Synthcube.com has a number of Euro kits, generally full kits, but also PCBs and panels.
adnauseam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: L-1 Kits Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These folks at L-1 Synthesizer have some neat DIY pcb/panel sets.

I've got a Quad VCA in the mail right now and i'm tempted to get their compressor.

http://l-1.su/
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: