electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Frankensynth
Page 3 of 3 [67 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Frankensynth
Subject description: Sir. Envelope
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finished Sir. Envelope (and might finish another module today).

Sir. Envelope is made from a siren circuit which I split into two parts: an envelope generator and a VCO. The envelope generator is very basic, a
capacitor is charged through a resistor and discharged with another resistor. The two resistors also make up a voltage divider which set the maximum
amplitude. I added a gate input and shifted the ouput level to -2.5V/+2.5V. I added level and offset control to the VCO. No limiters since it works over
almost the full supply range. The output is sort of a pulse wave and I added a comparator to turn it into a squarewave with voltage controlled pulse width.
There's also a switch to patch the envelope generator to the freq CV input (siren) or PWM CV input.

I made 2 changes to the original circuit, I replaced a 470 ohms resistor with a LED + 2K2 resistor in the VCO part and I added a resistor parallel
to the envelope capacitor to make it discharge faster. The circuit was designed to drive a speaker which caused a faster decay, and replacing
the 470 ohms resistor also lengthened it.

Frankensynth - Sir. Envelope.gif
 Description:
Sir.Envelope schematic
 Filesize:  88.5 KB
 Viewed:  755 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Frankensynth - Sir. Envelope.gif

Frankensynth Sir.Envelope - 01.jpg
 Description:
Sir. Envelope
 Filesize:  104.18 KB
 Viewed:  676 Time(s)

Frankensynth Sir.Envelope - 01.jpg

Frankensynth Sir.Envelope - 02.jpg
 Description:
Sir. Envelope
 Filesize:  106.74 KB
 Viewed:  670 Time(s)

Frankensynth Sir.Envelope - 02.jpg

Frankensynth Sir.Envelope - 03.jpg
 Description:
Sir. Envelope
 Filesize:  115.52 KB
 Viewed:  674 Time(s)

Frankensynth Sir.Envelope - 03.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Frankensynth
Subject description: LFO Circus

And another one finished "LFO Circus".

clown banana

For this one I used 3 small circuits; an oscillator made with a 555 timer that gives a pulse (used for experiments with timelapse photography), a simple 2
transistor AMV and a 3 channel chaser made with a 555 + 4017. Only the last one had tempo control but I modified the other two circuits to be adjustable
aswell. I added buffers and by powering the 4050 chip with 5 volts I get 0/5V gate outputs. I also added some XOR's for two extra outputs that give a sort
of semi-random signal related to the 3 LFO's.

Frankensynth - LFO Circus.gif
 Description:
LFO Circus schematic
 Filesize:  78.83 KB
 Viewed:  732 Time(s)

Frankensynth - LFO Circus.gif

Frankensynth LFO Circus - 01.jpg
 Description:
LFO Circus
 Filesize:  115.92 KB
 Viewed:  670 Time(s)

Frankensynth LFO Circus - 01.jpg

Frankensynth LFO Circus - 02.jpg
 Description:
LFO Circus
 Filesize:  118.95 KB
 Viewed:  672 Time(s)

Frankensynth LFO Circus - 02.jpg

Frankensynth LFO Circus - 05.jpg
 Description:
LFO Circus (pulser)
 Filesize:  108.25 KB
 Viewed:  621 Time(s)

Frankensynth LFO Circus - 05.jpg

Frankensynth LFO Circus - 06.jpg
 Description:
LFO Circus (AMV)
 Filesize:  111.64 KB
 Viewed:  639 Time(s)

Frankensynth LFO Circus - 06.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Frankensynth
Subject description: LFO Circus

one more photo Cool

Frankensynth LFO Circus - 07.jpg
 Description:
LFO Circus (Chaser)
 Filesize:  109.33 KB
 Viewed:  660 Time(s)

Frankensynth LFO Circus - 07.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And this is how the Frankensynth currently looks with all the modules installed and powered up. Cool

Frankensynth (Feb 25, 2014).jpg
 Description:
the Frankensynth in it's current state
 Filesize:  73.07 KB
 Viewed:  628 Time(s)

Frankensynth (Feb 25, 2014).jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You go fast!

Looks nice :-)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

Some more info on how I did the graphics on the last two panels, which are printed with a laserprinter and then transferred to the wood. I have
experimented with this before and I think it included clear coating and heat (iron) but wasn't exactly sure how, so I searched the web. What I mostly
found however was a method involving something called Mod Podge. And after a bit more research I discovered that it's some sort of PVA glue so I
tested with the (PVA) woodglue I have. (here is an example of the mod podge method.)

For the first test I had printed on glossy paper from a magazine (with the idea to use heat transfer) And although it worked I also got a lot of the full
color print from the magazine on the panel. (might be an idea to use magazines, books, comics,. etc) and by the time I got that off I didn't
have anything left. For the second test I put too much glue on it, and the paper ripped apart while I was trying to press it on the wood. The third
test went better but I used too much water which disolved all the glue (I only let it dry for a short period) and so the toner came off too. So by the
fourth time I tried it I was very careful and I got a much better result. For the "LFO Circus" panel I let it dry overnight which was already an
improvement, but the next time I will try it with waterproof woodglue.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a nice trick .. PVA is just the normal white glue?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Sounds like a nice trick .. PVA is just the normal white glue?
yep, I think most standard white glues are PVA, which is also the same stuff that I use to cover my frontpanels with as a protective layer.
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been looking at various methods for printing onto panels and one suggestion I found on the web was to use 'parchment' paper (I believe that's what its called) you can find it in the baking section of most supermarkets. Its heat resistant but it doesn't hold onto the toner as strongly as regular paper does. I've purchased some and hopefully will be able to test it out soon...
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good works Phobos , the synth is coming along nicely.

Dave.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
I've been looking at various methods for printing onto panels and one suggestion I found on the web was to use 'parchment' paper (I believe that's what its called) you can find it in the baking section of most supermarkets. Its heat resistant but it doesn't hold onto the toner as strongly as regular paper does. I've purchased some and hopefully will be able to test it out soon...

I think I know what you mean, not sure if it would work well for this method but it could be very useful for a heat transfer method Very Happy.
I did another panel this time using the waterproof glue which works much better. I didn't get a perfect print (which I wouldn't want anyway for these
panels) but the toner damage mostly happened when removing the first layer of paper, so it just didn't stick well to the panel. But using some water
to rub the rest of the paper off didn't cause as much (if any) damage as it did with the previous panels.

Skrog Productions wrote:
Good works Phobos , the synth is coming along nicely.

thanks Dave Very Happy

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finished another module last week. This one uses 2 circuits: One is some sort of mono/stereo control, or actually I don't know what it is or where I
got the schematic from, maybe someone recognizes it. The other circuit is a windsound generator consisting of a noise source and a bandpass filter.
So I split it up in those two parts and added an amplifier and a switch to choose between wind mode (output of the filter amplified) or split mode
(output of noise source amplified). I also added a vactrol to have a bit of control over the filter frequency.

Frankensynth - dunno.gif
 Description:
anyone recognize it ?
 Filesize:  34.97 KB
 Viewed:  669 Time(s)

Frankensynth - dunno.gif

Frankensynth windfilter - 02.jpg
 Description:
Frankensynth Wind Filter
 Filesize:  139.8 KB
 Viewed:  608 Time(s)

Frankensynth windfilter - 02.jpg

Frankensynth windfilter - 03.jpg
 Description:
Frankensynth Wind Filter
 Filesize:  144.73 KB
 Viewed:  598 Time(s)

Frankensynth windfilter - 03.jpg

Frankensynth windfilter - 04.jpg
 Description:
Frankensynth Wind Filter
 Filesize:  154.63 KB
 Viewed:  591 Time(s)

Frankensynth windfilter - 04.jpg

Frankensynth windfilter - 01.jpg
 Description:
Frankensynth Wind Filter
 Filesize:  126.83 KB
 Viewed:  607 Time(s)

Frankensynth windfilter - 01.jpg

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the art on the wind thing!

James.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added a sequencer made from a simple light chaser. The original circuit used two 4017's, one was used as a divider for a slower speed setting and
the other to sequence 4 lights. Tempo was controlled by either the build in 555 LFO but an external CLK could be used aswell. I added a transistor to
the output of the 555 to invert the output, since the dutycycle was ±95/5 (on/off).

I made use of having 2 4017's by adding a swinggenerator. Because I only have 12 step rotary switches I just wired all the outputs to the switch.
The 2 leftover NAND gates are used for a buffered CLK and reset input. I used slidepots and glued some LED's to them secured with some heatshrink.
The pots are 25K log stereo pots and not really great, which is why I nevered used them before. Some of them are so bad that I had to use the
other 'side' (stereopots) to get it working. The whole circuit is powered by 5V using a 7805 regulator that was already on the PCB. Well actually it
wasn't on there anymore but there used to be one so I just had to put it back.

I made a panel out of MDF covered with a woodgrain print because I didn't have anything else left. But I didn't really like it, so I kept my eyes
open and found a nicer piece of wood in a container at the side of the road. So I used that to make a new panel and it looks much better.
An old meccano set (not the real stuff though) came in handy for mounting the slidepots and PCB. Cool

I will probably make 2 simple 555 based VCO's next , made from 2 similar strobelight controller circuits.

Frankensynth - Swing it Baby 10.gif
 Description:
Swing step baby 10 sequencer
 Filesize:  95.48 KB
 Viewed:  601 Time(s)

Frankensynth - Swing it Baby 10.gif

Frankensynth sequencer - 01.jpg
 Description:
Frankensynth sequencer (no labels yet but I might put something on the panel)
 Filesize:  73.85 KB
 Viewed:  583 Time(s)

Frankensynth sequencer - 01.jpg

Frankensynth sequencer - 02.jpg
 Description:
Frankensynth sequencer
 Filesize:  83.78 KB
 Viewed:  574 Time(s)

Frankensynth sequencer - 02.jpg

bamboombaps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is awesome- any more pics/videos? Surprised
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No new photos/videos or updates. I have some other stuff to finish first and I'm out of 1/4" sockets.
But here's an an older photo Smile

you'll probably like this one too.

Frankensynth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.42 MB
 Viewed:  484 Time(s)

Frankensynth.jpg

Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't wait for some sound samples.

Very cool project.

Listening to Tom waits while viewing really adds to the experience. Very Happy
Page 3 of 3 [67 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Jump to: