electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2X (OS1.62) keeps resetting after power up.
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
homers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject:  G2X (OS1.62) keeps resetting after power up. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My G2X (OS 1.62, no PC attached, initial patches which came with 1.62) keeps resetting himself after power up.
Sometimes when I do a power cycle (on/off/on) multiple times it starts working again.
Unfortunately it falls back into resetting when I'm loading a new a new patch from the G2X memory in one of the slots, not always but quite often.
I wasn't sure if I should but the topic here or into the bug part.
Any ideas?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome homers. Annoying problem Confused

If I were me .. I'd open it up and look .. maybe something is loose?

Could it be your power is low, like say 90V instead of 110?

Just some wild thoughts.

homers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I already checked the connections and the switch on the power supply shows 110V other synths on the same outlet have no problems.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As in you opened it up?
homers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn, I'd have to think now Shocked

Pull cables and reseat 'm?

homers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok will do and report back tomorrow.
homers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Couldn't wait until tomorrow open the G2X unplugged all ribbon cables on both sides not only at the mainboard side as I did it the last time and it looks good so far Very Happy Very Happy
Let's for how long it will last.
Derek Cook

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hopefully a long time. Smile

Connectors can get oxidized over time. The other possiblilty with the G2 engine as it runs quite warm (mine does anyway) is thermal creep of connectors if there are no retaining lugs/straps. As things heat up and cool down they expand and contract which can gradually work connectors/pins out of sockets over time. It happens with chips as well if they are socketed, so it's always giving them a firm push when fault finding.

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
paalolav

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had the same problem with my G2X. Talked to a tech who recomended me to change the PSU, which I did. I had a spare one from a Nord Stage. It has worked perfectly ever since. Knock on wood!
homers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I forgot to mention, that after I put the G2X back in the rack it happened again.
I also found a trick, while doing the endless reboot you have to steady turn one of the continues controller during the reboot which will break the cycle eventually.
It is really strange, I like the idea with the psu but I don't have any spare parts, any idea where I can get one?

Last edited by homers on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
paalolav

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check with your local Clavia dealer. Good luck!
paalolav

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any updates?
paalolav

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had the same issue again. After consultation with the Clavia rep in Norway, I tried resetting the synth and installing firmware 1.40. It is now cured! Knock on wood...
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would love to know how you reset it. I have a brain-boggled G2 prototype unit and no reset procedure I have tried worked. Maybe your procedurewould be different from those i have tried...
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scot,

If factory software resets have not solved your problem, then it may be a hardware problem instead. I’ve had a few other synths (and other electronics) in the past that had intermittent problems that turned out to be just poor power supply or interconnect cable connections. Over time, it is not unusual that the contacts of the connectors may oxidize and even build up a little corrosion. I would recommend that you open your G2 and try unplugging and replugging the cable at both ends between the power supply and main PCB (with the mains AC power cord unplugged first of course Exclamation ).

Scot Solida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks varice. Yes, I have done those things… I even had a new ribbon cable made to replace the one that connected the front panel to the main board.

It was my own fault that it died. I was warned that it might not respond well to any firmware updates and those warnings were not wrong. My front panel is pretty much completely useless. The keyboard works, but most of the buttons do not and most of the knobs either do not work or behave in unexpected ways.

Clavia suggested reinstalling the original firmware that was sent with the thing, but that didn't work, either. In fact, each time I tried, i got different, varying results (some knobs would work after some attempts, but not others).

I can still control it with the software editor, so it behaves as the equivalent of a G2 Engine at this point.
paalolav

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scot Solida wrote:
I would love to know how you reset it. I have a brain-boggled G2 prototype unit and no reset procedure I have tried worked. Maybe your procedurewould be different from those i have tried...

Ahh - can't remember right now, but I found it by searching this forum! It's a combination of three buttons held down while powering the G2 on.
homers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the late reply guys.
The first solution for my problem was to replace the fuse with the proper value. My G2 is an European Model but inside of the G2 there is a switch to change the input voltage to 110V which I did. Of course I forgot to replace the fuse with a higher one due to the higher current. After I changed that it worked well the last time when I worked with it a couple of months ago. But today it went back doing the looping Sad
homers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found out that the G2 works fine when as long as the G2 editor is not running. When I start the editor the g2 starts reseting himself after a 5~10mins (haven't stopped the time yet).
Any ideas?
homers

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I'm back in Germany (240V Cool ).
I think I found the issue why my g2x is behaving this strange.
After I finally decided to remove the voice expansion board the g2x started to work fine, no reboots/freezes with or without the g2x connected to the editor.
Have any of you information about faulty expansions boards in the first g2x which were shipped out?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. in the beginning .. but that was with prototypes I think .. there were issues with the expansion .. but this is from rumors only ... sorry that's all I know.
homers

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I already resoldert the two connectors on the soldering side of the board but no luck so far. Maybe I should try the same with the mainboard?
I hope it is just a cold soldering because the G2X was working from time to time. I keep you posted.
kslight

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't own a G2 anymore, but when I had one sometimes it would be weird when connected to the PC. I replaced the USB port and worked perfectly until I sold it.

Very simple job for any soldering monkey to do, and its a standard USB type B port.
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: