electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Fun things to do with your G2
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Anig Browl

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Fun things to do with your G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not going to have it until next week. But as a disenfranchised modular 1 owner, I have been speculating a lot about things to do with the G2 once I get hold of it.

Many of these involve noodles (self-generating patterns/sounds) or semi-automatic control of sequences. And I am very excited about the possibilities offered by the new MIDI modules and the increase in the number of inputs to four. It seems to me that there are tremendous possibilities in connecting another sound modules to the G2 and using the red beast to both control and process the audio output of the other machine.

I'm particularly taken with the idea of using a sampler for this, as two of the outputs from the G2 could then be looped back into the sampler for processing with its effects or resampling in some fashion (though not that many samplers would do this on the fly, I suspect). I made one my first tracks with a micromod looped into the back of an Ensoniq sampler and the headphone output going into the computer's line in. Many samplers will let you modulate the start point of the sample in response to velocity or some other MIDI control. Hyper- (well, MIDI-) precise sample triggering and layering should be interesting as well, though if this is intended to synchronise with further G2 processing sampler latency will have to be taken into account.

Finally, the possibilities offered by pairing the G2 up with another sequencer fascinate me. I like hardware sequencers (drum and groove modules) and the G2 seems like it would combine very well with a pattern-oriented sequencer (particularly if I could find a way to control the pattern switching from the G2 also...). I can see myself using the hardware sequencer in very unorthodox ways, for example to change switches in a 'state machine' kind of patch or triggering particular notes just to act as counters in some patch. It should be possible to construct some very interesting MIDI noodles!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. The MIDI modules really work too. I've used a few computer based MIDI processing programs and the G2 shows up as being great for not getting clogged up or bogged down by high MIDI data input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is precisely what I'm looking forward to, as well. (my G2 delivers today).
I plan on using Softstep (by Algorithmic Arts) and Reaktor (as a sampler/FX processor) with the G2 (noodling/MIDI processing) to create generative and algorithmic music...
Since I'm relatively new to the theoretical and more technical underpinnings of this approach, I'll be watching this space indefinitely.
Perhaps Anig and Jan can 'tutor' me with their musings and patches.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

simulacreant wrote:
I plan on using Softstep (by Algorithmic Arts) and Reaktor (as a sampler/FX processor) with the G2 (noodling/MIDI processing) to create generative and algorithmic music...

That sounds great. I've used SoftStep and ArtWonk. I think the G2 will make a lot of stuff you do with those programs much easier. You are gonna love it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cebec

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got my G2 and i'm in awe. much better-sounding and more fun to use than i'd hoped, and that's just with the factory presets! didn't get the full impression from demo'ing it at a store.

unfortunately, one of the knobs is loose and wiggles a bit... there's also a click in it's rotation that changes location, it seems.

i'm going to have to return it -- plan on keeping this one for a long time, and lavishing affection and attention on it, daily... that knob's gonna be turned continuously, so...

p.s. for future reference, how do i clear the memory of all patches?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehe... I know the feeling.

Yes, I'd get that knob fixed or get a new machine.

As for erasing patches. I don't know if there is a special command, but you can run the file browser tool in the G2 editor (CONTROL B), select all of the patches in a given bank, and right click to select the "delete selected patches" command.
cebec

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Music123's paying for return shipping and sending a new one today (after they twiddle the knobs to check for tightness/smoothness).
Perhaps I won't have to go a day without it!
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another nice thing you can do is to make a midi-controller
(by placing a bunch of controller send modules) assign those to your favourite hard/software synth and.... assign morph-groups!
ALL your synths (hard or software) now can have morph-groups!
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see you here!

The G2 is just great. The mixers, switches and level department is a joy compared to the classic NM. I know these modules look of less important, but actually they are the all important glue to get everything to work as it should.
And yes, MIDI out modules are great fun. Right now I'm midifying the phoneme sequencer module (GI SP0256 speech chip) in my analog modular, so I can directly control it from the G2.

But what pleases me most about the G2 is the broad range of sounds and the sound quality. It needs a little fiddling about but it can sound amazingly great.
exeterdown

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Morph groups are cool but using the patch Mutator to breed patches on your favorite old synths... (seriously couldnt find an emoticon fitting)

Someone suggested it on Muff's - I've been using it to Mutate my Buchla 200e.
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, epic thread bump!

I've been distracted by other projects, but I want to revisit Tim's awesome granular patches (most sample up to 1 sec., some sample as much as 2 sec. if you have the G2 expansion) in the near future. His innovations of course arrived years after this thread was started.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to clarify: With one exception, all my granular designs use the maximum available (per DSP and thus per voice) 2.7 seconds delay as volatile sample memory.

The DSP expansion merely affects the voice count: 7 voices with expansion, 3 without.

The latest developments can be found here:
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-55004.html

The patch mutator doesn't lend itself well to my style of "low level" patching, since this is mostly about translating concepts of software code into a representation of G2 modules. Mutating that will simply cause the circuits to malfunction in most cases.

cheers,
t
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: