electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Bay-B-Key (working title)
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Bay-B-Key (working title)
Subject description: modified toy keyboard
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have enough unfinished projects so i started on another one Rolling Eyes

A while ago I found some 8 position slide switches and got the idea of using them to make a simple (gate) sequencer build into a small keyboard.
The keyboard I will be using is very simple and only has an 8 note keyboard, 5 different voices: piano, bird, dog, frog, voice and a demo mode.
The idea is to use a counter (CD4017) with a slideswitch on every output to select a key to be triggered, so 8 keys is perfect Very Happy.
The keyboard keys are just switches that connect an input of the chip (blob) to the positive voltage (4.5V), so no scanning matrix and very easy to trigger.
There is a resistor (+ capacitor) that controls the pitch so I will add a potentiometer for tuning. Nice thing about this keyboard is that it has a lot
of space which is useful for the switches. Cool

Bay-B-Key - 01.jpg
 Description:
Toy keyboard to be used.
(CREATOY)
 Filesize:  74.52 KB
 Viewed:  674 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Bay-B-Key - 01.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Bay-B-Key schematic Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The circuit:

the first 8 outputs of the 4017 are connected to 3 position toggle switches, that are used to select if there is a note played (selected with the slideswitch)
or silence and the third position is used to select the last step. Another switch will connect this last step to either the reset pin (loop) or
CLK INH. pin (play once). The 9th step of the counter is also connected to this switch by an OR gate (2 diodes + resistor), for a default setting of 8
steps. The counter can be put on hold manually and there is a LED with a transistor driver connected to the CLK INH pin to show when the counter
is on hold. There's also a switch for manual reset and it has an external reset input as well.

The slide switches are connected to AND gates which are also connected to the CLK which makes it possible to play the same note more then once
in a row. The outputs are connected in parallel with the keyboard keys so there are diodes on the outputs to prevent shorting the AND gates.
They also provide a useful voltage drop since the keyboard runs on 4.5V, which is derived from the 5V with a diode as well. The keyboard will most
likely run fine on 5V and maybe higher but I don't know for sure and don't want to find out the hard way that it doesn't.

Besides the counter I'm also adding a mux to have direct control over the keys remotely (lunetta control Laughing ). The INH pin on the mux is used to
trigger the keys which is also connected to the AND gates. 4050 buffers are used as level shifters on the external inputs of the mux and counter
since the circuit runs on 5V and this makes it possible to use higher trigger/gate voltages.

The audio output is buffered and has level control. And I used the other half of the opamp to make an oscillator to trigger the counter. It's actually
a VCO because the slidepot I want to use is only 10K and this way I can still get a wide tempo range. Very Happy

PHOBoS - Bay-B-Key.gif
 Description:
Bay-B-Key schematic
 Filesize:  166.12 KB
 Viewed:  733 Time(s)

PHOBoS - Bay-B-Key.gif

Last edited by PHOBoS on Fri May 15, 2015 9:43 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Bay-B-Key - progress pics Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just done putting a protective coating of glue on the panel when I dropped it on the carpet (like a peanut butter sandwich) Mad
It went ok on the second try,..

Bay-B-Key - 02.jpg
 Description:
recently I cut my,.
 Filesize:  94.3 KB
 Viewed:  660 Time(s)

Bay-B-Key - 02.jpg

Bay-B-Key - 03.jpg
 Description:
and I cut this too
 Filesize:  97.32 KB
 Viewed:  649 Time(s)

Bay-B-Key - 03.jpg

Bay-B-Key - 05.jpg
 Description:
panel parts
 Filesize:  75.02 KB
 Viewed:  698 Time(s)

Bay-B-Key - 05.jpg

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Panel looks yummy! Laughing
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Bay-B-Key progress pic Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

installed some parts on the panel. Cool
Don't have the pots yet, so the knobs aren't attached.

Bay-B-Key - 06.jpg
 Description:
now with more yummy
 Filesize:  88.52 KB
 Viewed:  671 Time(s)

Bay-B-Key - 06.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Bay-B-Key wiring Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some wiring,..

Bay-B-Key - 07.jpg
 Description:
wiring process
 Filesize:  131.81 KB
 Viewed:  682 Time(s)

Bay-B-Key - 07.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I forgot to correct the VCO in the schematic (which is based on one of nicolas' designs), so uploaded an updated version.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Bay-B-Key PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

finished soldering the PCB, now to wire it up and hope it works Cool

Bay-B-Key - 08.jpg
 Description:
Bay-B-Key control board
 Filesize:  107.07 KB
 Viewed:  643 Time(s)

Bay-B-Key - 08.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Bay-B-Key finished! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished it sunday and it almost fully worked on the first try except when I inserted the CD4051 mux it started acting a bit weird. I thought
I might have to put some diodes in series but I first tried another chip,. and that worked Very Happy not sure if the other one was faulty or because it's a
different brand (at least I think it is). Will probably record a demo, although when I try that it might turn into something else Wink

Here are some more photos. It doesn't really look much different but it has blinky lights now Laughing

Bay-B-Key - 09.jpg
 Description:
Bay-B-Key
 Filesize:  96.64 KB
 Viewed:  651 Time(s)

Bay-B-Key - 09.jpg

Bay-B-Key - 10.jpg
 Description:
Bay-B-Key
 Filesize:  78.93 KB
 Viewed:  649 Time(s)

Bay-B-Key - 10.jpg

Bay-B-Key - 11.jpg
 Description:
Bay-B-Key
 Filesize:  82.94 KB
 Viewed:  635 Time(s)

Bay-B-Key - 11.jpg

isak

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as always....amazing work!
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks isak Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Jump to: