electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
portable digital recorder?
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gustavojobim

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: portable digital recorder?
Subject description: trying to cut another tie with the computer!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi

I'm trying to use the computer as little as possible and going as portable as I can [afford]... so can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive as possible, portable digital audio recorder?

I've read reviews for a lot of models, like Edirol R-09, Edirol R-1, M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 Pocket Digital Recorder, Tascam GT-R1, Olympus LS-10, Zoom H4, Boss Micro BR, Zoom H2... unfortunately they all seem to be awfully expensive (mind you, in Brazil anything that's imported is severely taxed)

the tiny Zoom H1 would fit in my very tight budget, but would it be a good option for electronic music recording? I have no idea.

what I need is to be able to record anywhere (the last few weeks, it's about letting the wife play the sims 2 while I record some microkorg noodling during the baby's weekend afternoon naps) so I can later upload the solo tracks to the computer for mixing.

any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still use (and love) my Sony MZ-R30 Minidisc walkman. You can pick them up for nothing these days.

If you get a flatbed version too, you can use that to record straight into the computer from.

FWIW, I mastered an LP at Abbey Road Studios (EMI) with a Mindidisc machine (My Sony MDS-JB930- which I still use today!).

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
sneakthief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished using a Zoom H1 for live recording for a week. It sounds OK but is built out of cheap plastic that scratches easily.

Also used an H4N at the same time and that's built like a tank in comparison and is very enjoyable to use.

You get what you pay for.

gustavojobim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, in the beginning (years 2000-2) I used a Sony flatbed MD recorder - JE640 -, but then I noticed the MD compression cut too much of the higher frequencies.

another thing that always bugged me about that recorder was that it would stop recording if it thought the signal was too low. I lost some precious seconds of careful electronic noise fadeout noodling that way. I never found out if I could turn that off.

I still have that recorder and the MDs but, after forgetting an MD inside it for a couple of years, something in there went bad and now the drive won't lift up to align the disc for ejection. it always needs a little hand, literally - like an old man.

It seems to me that for now I'll have to make do with what I already have: a cheap laptop and an edirol usb audio interface (UA-1EX). It would be great to be able to do a monotron + overdub-capable portable recorder combo during the job commute though. but I would need to buy both things first!
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are a few other alternatives, apart from a whole host of portable recorders with line inputs added on of course.

If you want overdub in one portable unit, Korg makes a recorder in a small package...

Then you have the new Kaoss pad things, which now record (and overdub!) Looks fun... http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/01/korgs-kaossilator-2-mini-kaoss-2-handheld-sonic-fun-thats-not-an-iphone/

You can of course also use an iThing, coupled with a stereo capable input device... You could get an older device, or the cheaper iPods. Or, if you are happy with mono in, you can use the mic input on and old second hand iPod touch...

There are also some small multi-track recorders from Boss and Zoom, hardly ever gets a mention anywhere.

If you expand the foot print to the size of a laptop, there are a great deal of multi track hard disk recorders with the mixer built in, and very cheap second hand. Some of them are getting old now, and are a great deal bigger than a laptop, so it is a good idea to research (and definitely try out!) those before buying.

gustavojobim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey Lumens, the Korg SOS SR-1 you mention looks perfect!
jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you could sell your edirol interface, a few of the portable units (like the Zoom H4n) act like an audio interface when attached to a computer OR an iPod/iPhone/iPad. So if the sale expands your budget, that's an option to consider.

I have a Zoom H4n, and really like the sound out of it. I have had minidiscs in the past, and hated the motor sounds that I'd pick up during very quiet passages, but it did qork pretty well for years (and still does!). The zoom can record 4 tracks simultaneously also, which I think is a great benefit (record the room and directly off the mixing board if you can).
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
I have had minidiscs in the past, and hated the motor sounds that I'd pick up during very quiet passages,

Yes! T'is true. But only if you plug the mic straight into the side and don't use a mic extension cable.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well that interface is an old model so I probably wouldn't get a lot for it, and the H4N around here goes for several times as much as I might get for the UA-1EX... so that probably wouldn't help much.

thanks for all your ideas! much appreciated Smile
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a very late response, but in case anyone's still looking for a dedicated recorder...

I avoid using my computer for music. I prefer using a recorder. I have a Boss BR-600 and I absolutely love it.

I got it cheap, it records clean and even bounces tracks clean.
It's only 8 track but since you can bounce forever without loss of sound quality, that's plenty of tracks. Plus you can record 8 versions of each track and then choose your favorites.

One super cool feature is that you can easily cut and paste sections of music.
Another is its flawless auto punch-in-out recording (great for fixing minor flubs.)
It has a programmable drum machine with lots of sounds and you can import your own sounds AND sequence them on your computer with a free editor from Boss. (I don't use the drum machine much because my Microsampler is easier to use for percussion tracks.)
Finally, it has a lot of built in effects, some of which are pure gold.

It has built in mics that actually sound good, but I never use them.
It can run on batteries but they don't last more than a couple of hours.
The memory cards are increasingly tricky to find but they are out there.
Oh, and you can save everything on your computer so you don't need more than enough memory card to make a tune. I use a 1GB card and have a second one just in case.

The whole recorder is only about 10" x 7" x 1" and weighs maybe 2 pounds. If it was any smaller the controls would be too small.

The BR-600 is perfect for the way I make my music. If it ever breaks I'm buying another one.

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com

Last edited by A E J O T Z on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey Aejotz, thanks for your idea! A friend of mine also has a similar recorder by Boss, if I remember well; and he's also pretty happy with it. I'll try to get something like those!
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got a Zoom R8 earlier this year when my laptop's hardware failures began to multiply. I'm enjoying the simplicity relative to computer DAWs.

Today's crop of standalone recorders is a very good one. Some of them, like the Zooms, can double as audio interfaces or MIDI control surfaces for computer DAWs, further enhancing their value.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: