electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Synbal
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [53 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Starspawn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heres the synchime

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Also working on the Synwave, but that has some errors in the schematic so my stripboard layout needs reworking if I bother after fixing.

Last edited by Starspawn on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ruebezahl

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a while i finally populated the Syntom PCB. I tried it for the first time with a +-12V Supply. I could hear some strange noise but not related to a Drum Voice whatsoever. While still trying some different settings for the pots, the Transistor TR1 suddenly began to smoke and exploded more or less.

So what could have happen to burn up a transistor? The original schematic calls for a BC108B, but i ignored that, because in the text they say:
Quote:
Noise is generated by making TR1 (a standard NPN) zener - reverse biasing the emitter - base junction

So it seemed to me i can just use any NPN transistor, and i used a 2N3904. Could this have caused the problem? I doubt it, but i will replace it with a BC108B to go sure. But before i test it again, it would be good to know if the error might be something else, before i smoke up the next transistor. the transistor is in the upper-left corner in the schematic.

The schematic is here: http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Full%20Synths%20Drum%20Synths%20and%20Misc%20Synth/Syntom%20II.pdf

One more thing i didn't do exactly like in the schematics. I didnt understand the suggested Power Supply Circuit. I just used an Voltage Regulator to lower the voltage of my power supply from +15V to +12V and connected it straight to the circuit, together with the 0V for ground.
The schematic instead has three poles labeled "L", "N", and "E". after L and N there is something wich looks like a firewall, wich i never saw in any circuit diagramm?!what are those L, N, and E, and what is this fireqwall? And could this have cause the problems?

THANKS

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

L, N, and E are the connections to the mains power socket in the wall (Live, Neutral, and Earth, respectively. Your area may call Live 'Phase', instead.) The "firewall" is a power transformer, to step 240V AC down to 12V AC.

It's a hugely bad idea to mess around with anything connected to the mains if you don't know too much about what you're doing.

You can just use a 12V DC power supply instead Smile
Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, don't worry, i already have a +/-15V Power Supply, i didnt mess around with the main-current.but from this power supply i used a voltage regulator to lower it to 12V.
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any NPN transistor should work, but bear in mind that they do have different pin configurations - make sure you connect the base to Ground, and the emitter to +12V through R1, leaving the collector not connected. Have you double checked R1 is 150k (not 150R for example). It's difficult to think what else could cause TR1 to blow other than way too much current through it, which makes me suspect R1.

Peter
Starspawn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noticed synchime link didnt work, and heres the Synwave as well.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Starspawn Thank you. Did you build them already and can confirm they work?

Still struggling with my Syntom. I replaced the transistor and its not exploding anymore. totally no idea what was wrong. Still no proper sound though. there is a high pitch but very quiet tone all the time at the output. nothing really changes when there is a trigger. the trigger LED ist glowing with a trigger signal though.
At the first op-amp stage, there is a drone at the output, much louder than the output tone, but also pitched much lower. when there is a trigger signal it stops for a while. if i turn the decay know, the break acutally becomes longer, so this feature is actually working Very Happy but this is not like the circuit should behave, right?

i checked all component values around this stage, and also the connections on the PCb but couldnt find any errors or shorts...

Starspawn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, both built and confirmed.
I might tweak the input resistor for the piezo on the synwave as its not as sensitive as Id like, but thats the stock option there.
Also a little changed from the schematic thats online, as the PCB offered at one time was correct, but the diagram had errors compared to it.
Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey drumfans.

I just finally had time to get back to my Syntom, and Synbal (yes, still not done). Well i just found a major error. On the population scheme, for the polarization of the Electrolytic capacitors, the side with the black stripe actually means POSITIVE. Its against my intuitition and also against the system they use in the schematics, but its true. Is this a normal way to mark the Electrolytic capacitors on layouts? i always understood it the other way round...

Well i will replace all of them, and see again. I am just wondering why it didnt just explode all of them. because this was my previous experience with wrong polarized elkos Very Happy

oh and btw, thanks a lot for the layouts. as soon as i finally finished my syntom and synbal i might get back on those Smile

Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, time for some Update: Both, the syntom and the synbal are now finally working. The LM13700 in the syntom was broken and all of the elkos in the wrong direction. after fixing those errors, it worked.
for the synbal, there were two points were the etching wasn't perfect, and the copper-traces touched each other very lightly. After chasing and eliminating these both, it also worked. I changed the decay pot to 500k, however, because it was much longer than necessary. now its still like 4 sec. at the max. puh, i am very happy, and can now finally present you here two samples of how they sound:

syntom test.wav
 Description:
this is the syntom II

Download
 Filename:  syntom test.wav
 Filesize:  67.1 MB
 Downloaded:  1079 Time(s)

synbal test.mp3
 Description:
Synbal. a bit overdriven sometimes...

Download
 Filename:  synbal test.mp3
 Filesize:  6.09 MB
 Downloaded:  1045 Time(s)

Starspawn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you do layouts as well?
Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, i didn't design ones my own. Somewhere in this thread i found the Link to some PCB-Laouts for etching. they're the ones the articles are referring to, although there were some small errors in them. I mentioned them earlier in this thread. if you cant find it, maybe i can find them on my HD an upload them, but in earliest two weeks, when i am back home.
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ruebezahl wrote:
Hey drumfans.

I just finally had time to get back to my Syntom, and Synbal (yes, still not done). Well i just found a major error. On the population scheme, for the polarization of the Electrolytic capacitors, the side with the black stripe actually means POSITIVE. Its against my intuitition and also against the system they use in the schematics, but its true. Is this a normal way to mark the Electrolytic capacitors on layouts? i always understood it the other way round...

Well i will replace all of them, and see again. I am just wondering why it didnt just explode all of them. because this was my previous experience with wrong polarized elkos Very Happy

oh and btw, thanks a lot for the layouts. as soon as i finally finished my syntom and synbal i might get back on those Smile

I BRING LIFE TO THEE NECROTHREAD! angel

so is this correct that the mark on strip layout is the positive leg of the electro caps ?
Starspawn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, that was regarding the pcb layout picture, the black side with - on it is indeed negative.
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great thx
gibrancurtiss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys

Anyone ever build the Synwave on Stripboard?
Does it works?
Build mine and it is dead Sad.

Thanks
Starspawn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I did.
Youll have to pick a transistor thats extra noisy, and even then pitch and resonance need to be pretty high to get wave effect.
Remember the FQ/Pitch pot needs its leg 3 connected to ground.
Same with decay pot leg 1.
Leg 2 of Volume pot is obviously output.
Theres also a lot of fake/bad LM3080 ICs around.
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Built many synxxxxx on veroboard back in the day, and got them all working!
gibrancurtiss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys.

Thank you all for the feedback,
Double check the connections and solders. OK
Double check the pots connections , including FQ/Pitch, decay and Volume. Ok
On the original version there is a capacitor on Leg 2 of Volume pot. With it or without , no sound exits.

Mine is a CA3080 and the seller call it "Harris", I dont know what this means.

This weekend I'll put the osciloscope to work and track bug it, any advise?

Thank you!!!
gibrancurtiss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ops,

Forgot a important info.
I cant find the Z1 with that code number.
So i replaced with a generic 7,5v zener.
Is this a problem?

Thank you
Starspawn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, that should be fine, and even if it wasnt piezo trigger input would work.
gibrancurtiss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you !

So. This is my first bug tracking in my life !!! Yes. My first.
This is the picture.
The first 3 transistors are working, as well the decay pot.
When i hit the piezo, I get ~ 7,5V on all transistors exits.
When I change the Decay pot, the voltage drops fast or longer as they have to do.
But I have only 700mv on pin 5 of 3080. Even when I hit the piezo.
Full 9v on pin 7
And 4,5V on pins 6 ,3,2

Is this expected?
Thank you all!!!!!!!

Gibran
Starspawn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4,5V is expected on 2 and 3 as those offsets are divided with 6,8k from ground and 9V, but there should be variation on the output when you get trigger on pin 5.
Im not entirely certain on all things as I built from schematic, not knowledge Wink
gibrancurtiss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you!!
Just a dumb question.
Some people name the 1, 2 ,3 potentiometers legs as

1-CCW , 2-WIPER , 3-CW

and some use 1, 2 ,3 for

1-WIPER, 2-CCW, 3-CW

What is the correct?

Thank you
Starspawn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1 CCW 2 Wiper 3 CW
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [53 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: