electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Switching IP Address - Possible Problems
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Switching IP Address - Possible Problems Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We are changing ISP and the IP for the server is changing. There will be possible outages and flakey operation for the next few hours. Sorry. Be patient, please
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, looking at your Avatar there, can we really believe you? Laughing No biggie. For a moment, I thought the spell-checker I ran at that moment had somehow knocked it offline. Leave it to me, you know...

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Things seem to be working pretty well now on both the old and the new IP addresses. DNS gives the new one, so when the old link is cut, nobody should notice. I hope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's running smooth as silk now.

There are probably not enough users here to where we would likely encounter any old cached A record problems with anyone's ISPs. Very unlikely, especially if there were TTL's leading up to the switch.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

now it runs very smoothly indeed, much better than before, it seems. I had problems posting messages on the last few days: it took forever. once, by mistake, I posted one of them twice because I thought something had gone wrong. excellent, thanks!
with this new avatar you need a new name, maybe something like:
Prince H
Mosc Dude

Cyx, you are an expert Shocked come up with something "groovy" for him Exclamation Will ya Question

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DJ Patch Master Mosc.

-Napoleon Dynamite
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
DJ Patch Master Mosc.

That's beautiful. I hope Howard likes it too Very Happy

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He's comin' straight outa Allentown, a crazy motherspanker named Howard...

Maybe DJ P.M. Mosc can tour with MC Hawking.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
http://mchawking.com/
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/mchawkingmusic.htm

He's gonna start penalizing us for leading every last thread he starts astray. It all seems to wind up as schmooze.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would have been great putting together an electro-music.com "groove-kestra" - a big ensemble that plays avantgarde groove music. Groove-kestra was our old term for an orchestral synth ensemble making a big fat beat.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know, that's one thing that has been refreshingly absent here: a strong emphesis on big beats. I like big fat nasty beats, but not at all exclusively. After awhile, you just want to get away from that for a bit.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The current commercial obsession with sample loops and the same damned patterns is pretty nasty.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh it's terrible. I wont use loops, and I won't use a pattern over and over, not without making holistic variations to it along with the music as a whole.

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am not opposed to repetiion, but the reason why something is repeated should be musically founded and not "huh? why not? they all do it this way.."

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like repetition with subtle variation, but a flat loop is... ick

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Somewhere here I mentioned that ideas from music psychology can be used in music in different ways. Audiotory stream formation theory suggests ( well.. depends on how you think this can be applied ) that repetitive loops can connect in different ways with other elements.. so.. well.. if this musically solves a purpose then it is fine with me.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, Cyx, I'm not into beats and loops either. I guess I've said that before. I'm sure if we wait long enough, they will go outa style.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Testing the new link. Download performance seems to be the same as before, at least for me.

I have discovered that Mozilla is much faster than Internet Explorer, at least on the forum pages. IE waits for the entire page to load, it seems, before displaying content. Mozilla displays stuff as quickly as possible. Maybe the download time is the same, but the apparent response is quite a bit different.

Also, I notice the SFTP is much slower than SCP. This has no relevance to using this site, but it is still an interesting observation.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We had some downtime today as we unplugged the old DSL link. The server had lots of problems with the default route going out over the new interface. I suspect we have a motherboard problem, so either Sunday or Monday I'm going to shutdown and swap the main drives into another computer. I'll try to post here when that will actually be as the time gets better defined.

Sorry for all these problems.
Thanks for your patience.

nothing happens

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loops, or repetition in general, can work very well, when used as a backdrop to do various things over. Much of Stereolab's music illustrates the joys of properly managed repetition. Also, loops are a fundamental part of PODMS's music because it alows the three of us to sound like more than a trio: On "A Note To Myself" Phil plays a little drum beat while Tom shakes this hubcap-spring device he made, Tom catches it on the Echoplex, I add a bassline to it, and it continues repeating out of the Echoplex while Phil moves on to steel guitar, I switch to trumpet, and Tom inserts conversation stuff from tapes. The whole PODMS demo is recorded and improvised live on the spot without overdubs. This modus operandi is important because a fundamental element of PODMS is that we perform and improvise live, as in, in front of an audience (though usually a small one). So we can get a loop going, allow it to repeat, then add non-repetitive things over it that interact off of it in different ways. The alternative would be go record a long non-repetitive variating thing into some device such as a sequencer or minidisc and let it run while we played things over it, which I would find even more distateful and karaoke-ish. Hell, on "Chaos vs. Determinism" the same loop (a throbbing slightly distorted floor tom loop and some odd little electronic noise) runs for perdnur half an hour. At times, even, the motifs introduced over top of it temporarily drown it out so you don't notice it for a while until it returns to your attention when the other stuff stops, so it kind of surprises you again. I think loops work best in this context when they operate as a sort of "rhythm section" or in a primarily rhythmic role. If itthe sound being looped is something too melodic, it gets annoying, or gets in the way of where a good melody could actually go. Also it is best if what's being looped contains an niteresting amount of layers and interplay within it so it stays more interesting.

Where I get opposed to repetition is in more rock/pop-oriented material. here are so many rock songs where the band needs something to transition between two sections of a song and they sort of automatically revert to repeating the main riff exactly four times. Always four too. That's like the dumbest thing you can do, it doesn't take the song anywhere, it's just dead time in the song. But repetition in music per se not a bad thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This would be a good point to move the conversation over to Commentary and Editorials > prerecorded material in performance, as you're hitting on numerous points made there. Slide over there and join the discussion. New voices are always good to have.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: