electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Blofeld with low output and no phones
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
my05

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Blofeld with low output and no phones
Subject description: low volume / no volume
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I recently acquired a Blofeld with the above problems. I have tried to contact Waldorf (no answer yet) regarding this as i have also searched the net and found other people with similar problems.

Some people claim that the problems started when they upgraded the firmware to 1.15, some other people have had this problem since earlier FW versions.

When trying to find more details, some search-hits points to either a broken transistor or the op-amps that drives the line and phone jacks. What usually "breaks" on the Blofeld?

regards

Daniel
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might just have a bad output socket. Smile
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
my05

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
You might just have a bad output socket. Smile

Hi,

I assume that would be possible, but there is sound coming from the line outs (low, but still). When i crank the mixer up, the sound is chrystal clean without glitches or any other bad things). I've heard that the Blofeld output volume is low, but not this low.

I will take the Blofeld apart and start to measure in/out signals on the two op-amps.

(apparently a LM1877 for the head-phones and a NE5532 for the line outs)
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HOw much noise is present on the output?

It may be that the Blofeld has a really wide dynamic range. I had the same problem with this with my old Yamaha AN1x.

It's something I need to check with my own Blofeld. I still havent had the time to play with it. Embarassed Sad

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
my05

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
HOw much noise is present on the output?

It may be that the Blofeld has a really wide dynamic range. I had the same problem with this with my old Yamaha AN1x.

It's something I need to check with my own Blofeld. I still havent had the time to play with it. Embarassed Sad

No noise at all tbh. I guess it was not supposed to leave THAT much headroom either ( Wink) since i really need to adjust both the volume and gain to the max to get a normal (clean) signal from it.

If you would have the time to check your Blofeld, i would really appreciate to hear your opinion regarding the the output.

regards

Daniel
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now there's a really good excuse to plug mine in! Smile

I'll try tomorrow.

my05

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Appreciate it Smile
my05

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Update - What probably causes this Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After getting in touch with another Blofeld owner/electro engineer and getting some indirect information from Waldorf, i now can assume that the resistor sitting between the psu and the op-amps is to blame.

Apparently, this resistor (6.8 ohm, 1/4 watt SMD) is also used as a fuse to protect the hardware and when it blows, the result is just like this (i.e low/no sound).
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's good to know.

Thanks Daniel! Smile

dougt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Same thing happened to me. Can you tell me the board location of that resistor? Is it the one by itself between the Shift button and Mix 1 pot?

Thanks

dougt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK so I replaced that resistor and it's working fine again. For future reference for anyone else who might encounter this problem it is the resistor located between the Shift button and the Mix 1 pot.
wishniak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm - glad to find this post - just picked up a blofeld and it seems to have this problem too. anyone else made this repair? know of the top of their head the value of the resistor (before i crack this thing open?). thanks..
wishniak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ooops - finally re-read and realized my thread reading comprehension sucks sometimes.

but ouch SMD... anyone tried this to any success?
dougt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I used a regular sized resistor...
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks all ... mine was a bit quiet when i got it (free!) and seems to have got worse.

ill have a look

cheers
Ben
urbanspaceman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a fix on the net for this problem (and other)
http://www.noisecollective.net/media/kunena/attachments/579/blofeld_low_output_repair.pdf
check my thread (italian) about this.
http://www.noisecollective.net/forums.html/nc-forum/sintetizzatori-virtualanalog/162-qualche-risorsa-per-il-blofeld#792

Urban
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much Urban

Smile
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So i finally got round to doing this, i used regular sized 10r as it was the nearest i could find and it works great again, thanks all!

Very Happy
gus green

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can anyone point me to a link for the exact part i need to fix this. I'm fairly new to electronics and sourcing parts isn't my stong suit. Is it something like this? http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8129
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no thats far too big, and not fusible.

you need a 6.8 ohm, that 6;8k ohm - 6800 ohms!

theres not really any on ebay i can easily find.

I had to buy 5 anyway, so if you pm me your address ill send you one.

cheers
ben
alanzo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think mine is having the same problem after spilling some liquid on it. Anyone have a suggestion as to whether I should attempt the fix myself, or find a shop to do it for me? I've never soldered anything before, but have at least opened up synths for battery replacement and cleaning.

Sounds for your Virus TI, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Prophet '08, Nord Lead 3, and JP8000 / JP8080:
http://www.alanmarcero.com
chaosbc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello there.
I purchased a 2nd hand blofeld yesterday.
It seems I have the same low output issue as everybody.
Can't find any fuse resistor from 4.7 to 6.8 ohms (it seems that's what Waldorf advocate according to =>http://www.waldorf-forum.com/pipermail/user-forum/2012-October/027758.html)
If someone know a site selling such a resistor fuse even a through hole one will fit...I tried mouser, aliexpress and many others with no luck Rolling Eyes
chaosbc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I eventually found 5 on ebay (USA) but they are 10 ohm 1/4 watt
If if worked for Paradigm X, it may work for me.
Still...Warldorf could have made it with a resettable fuse or a regular fuse and a daisy chained classical resistor...but consumer society won again I guess Confused
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you are worried, you could put two in parallel to make about 5 ohms Wink

Mines still working fine fwiw

Good lcuk
chaosbc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So obvious I did not think about it...
Thanks ! Razz
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: