electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Lunetta-Lab board
Page 2 of 3 [51 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
corex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice writeup man, it looks great!
trav

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, nice job!

This is a great idea, very neatly done, and all finished and boxed up within such a short time too. Very tempted to look through your designs and come up with a similarly nice, compact "semi-modular" design.

Let's hear a couple of patches!
commathe

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick question: looking over the schematics there are a lot of places where you use a double connector and what I would expect to be ground is not attached to ground but to the connector instead. What's this for?
synaesthesia

Audio files: 85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The double connectors are for all digital output signals. Sometimes this is hard to see in the schematics because I simply placed the two connector symbols on top of each other. By having two pins for each output signal, I can route two cables per output to other inputs. For example, send an output to another clock input and to an LED driver. Should I need even more fan-out, there are a few 3-pin connectors on the top row that can be used to split a signal once more.
Not sure where you miss a ground connection, I hope I didn't forget one. The resistors, capacitors, the switchable resistor network, and the vactrol output are floating so that they can be connected in series or parallel to other elements.
synaesthesia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@trav, you wanted to hear a patch from the Lunetta-Lab, so I sat down to patch something... Have a look at my post about the Crazy Fiddler and listen to the result.
commathe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That all makes sense now! It was the EG that was really throwing me off.
goldenhours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: jumper cables & patch matrix Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
This is my first post in this forum. I've recently become fascinated by the world of CMOS and Lunettas, and synaesthesia's Lunetta Lab board is just great, and I am thinking of making something similar. Something very portable, patchable, which lets me explore and learn about the possibilities of a range of chips (and I also use diy instruments in live performances so it may well end up there, too!).

Personally, I'm not sure about using male pin headers on the board, so I'm looking at using female receptacles and male jumper cables.

As far as I can see, there are two basically different types, one like this: http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/images/R7655521-01.jpg , which comes in fixed sizes and is a little more expensive, and the other type like this: http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/largeimages/R2677416-01.jpg , which are cheaper and are snappable to whatever size required. Does anyone have any experience with the second type? Because it seems to be more for holding ICs rather than jumper cables, how well do the cables sit in the sockets?

Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated.
corex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regarding pin headers, I've tried a couple different models of Mill-Max machined pin headers, such as Mill-Max 801-43-064-10-002000, and I've also tried the cheaper stamped-pin kind such as 3M 517-929974-01-36-RK.

I prefer the 3M part. Both parts are easy to cut to size, but the 3M part is deeper and the test lead stays seated better.
goldenhours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

corex wrote:
Regarding pin headers, I've tried a couple different models of Mill-Max machined pin headers, such as Mill-Max 801-43-064-10-002000, and I've also tried the cheaper stamped-pin kind such as 3M 517-929974-01-36-RK.

I prefer the 3M part. Both parts are easy to cut to size, but the 3M part is deeper and the test lead stays seated better.

Thanks, corex, this is very helpful. The 3M part was what I was looking for as it has a deeper socket. The spec sheet says that they also make 2-row versions but I can't seem to find them anywhere for sale, only the 1-row ones
synaesthesia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my experience the machined pin headers are good for ICs, but not good to hold wires at all. The first type is a bit better to hold wires, but still doesn't give very good contact because they are built as the counterpart for PCB connector pin rows, which typically have a square cross-section. The wires used for breadboards and most male Dupont cables have a round cross-section.
corex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use Molex 16-02-0114 (crimp terminal for AWG 24), which has a square profile, to build my jumpers. They fit a little better than the round ones but there are still longevity problems -- I think some unreliability and rework is just inherent in pin-header design like this.
goldenhours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful. I guess before I make any big decisions and part orders I'll get a few different options and try them out.
I really like how the builder of the "tinysizer" made the patchbay in a similar way (http://www.anyware-instruments.de/images/tinyinfo/modules_home/tinysizer_0,5mb.jpg), but it seems it took him a long time to find the right sockets that work with standard round jumpers (http://www.anyware-instruments.de/analog_modular_synthesizer_firstideas_english.html)
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synaesthesia wrote:
..because they are built as the counterpart for PCB connector pin rows, which typically have a square cross-section. The wires used for breadboards and most male Dupont cables have a round cross-section.

That's exactly the problem that I had (besides using crappy wires to begin with) and why I think your version with male headers will work much better.
Nice to see you used real pots btw, those last a lot longer then trimpots.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
synaesthesia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Three more changes I would make if I would build this again.
1 - add two more oscillators, you can never have enough
2 - replace one 4040 by another 4520, one long counter is enough
3 - add one or two push buttons (non-locking) for triggers/resets
4 - increase the volume resistor pot to 20K or 50K
5 - change the clock burst circuit and add pots for length and frequency
6 - add a few separate diodes to be used for diode-resistor logic
7 - change the connector rows from 3 to 4 pins, and have more of them
8 - drop the analog circuits, like the filter, this is more flexible on a breadboard
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there, this is a very cool build! I love this way of patching things together, even though the more dense patches can get a little confusing, it's great to have a giant lab in a small form factor. Good stuff.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.20121031_124023 by drOffset, on Flickr

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
revtor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is great!!!!! Thanks a lot for your work!

It is really nice to have a central location of schematics that will play nice together.

~Steve

synaesthesia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for all the feedback. I am having lots of fun with this build. And yet, the enclosure for version 2 is already done and the modules are in the planning stage. I will start a new thread for V2 as soon as the modules are near completion.
One of the biggest advantages is breadboard compatibility. It is so much more convenient to try something new if you have complete building blocks already available and easy to connect to. Especially pots, they don't fit well in breadboards.
hexagon5un

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. I just went through the PDF schematic. Holy crap, that's well done!

I really like the LED banks and the 4066-based resistor switches. It's creature comforts like that which make working on a modular different / easier from working on a breadboard.

How useful do you find the EG and vactrols? What do you use them for? Do you need more?

More pots? VCAs? Or are you going to go so anti-analog that you won't use them?

That frequency doubler circuit looks great. I've never seen that one before. What do you think about using pots / vactrols for the adjustable delays? (Not that you can stop me from building one that way anyway even if you hate it. Smile )

I find it hard sometimes to give up on the everything-must-be-voltage-controlled mentality. I want to control every facet of every sound rather that just letting the machine be what it is. You seem to have acheived some kind of nirvana! Kudos.
revtor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This should be a PCB!

like those analog / digital trainer boards, or those Radio Shack 300-in-one kits..

synaesthesia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hexagon5un wrote:
Wow. I just went through the PDF schematic. Holy crap, that's well done!
Thanks a lot! Stay tuned for the next one. The final touches to the design are due next weekend. It is going to be the same semi-modular design, but this time much more artistic. Breadboard compatible again, with all modules that I found really useful squeezed on it, and some more. The attached picture gives you a sneak preview. This time all circuits are well tested... Wink

So, my experiences with the modules you mention:
- I use the LED banks often. They are a real blessing if you want to know where your counter sits, or what your shift register contains. It was a good idea to group them in packages of four each. I use female to female Dupont wires to connect the circuits. These are also available with 4 pin headers, so connecting a counter to the LEDs needs only a single cable. The same is true for the resistor networks. using identical values, as well as powers of two. Very useful, and simpler than an R2R ladder.
- The 4066-based resistor switches aren't used that often. They are great if you want to change a frequency using a bit pattern, but I ended up with using dividers more often.
- The EG is very helpful and is used often. The same square-wave melody just becomes more musical when each tone has its own envelope.
- I am still experimenting with the Vactrols. I see much potential here, but haven't used them much yet. Maybe one reason is that they are pretty hard to control, and I haven't built two of them yet that behave exactly the same.
- Pots are important! You can't have enough. I always end up using one or two. Glad that I even put two trimmers on the board. The next build will have four free pots.
- VCAs? Yes. I am much more experienced with digital circuits, but analog is fun and some stuff is way too much effort using digital circuits. I like the cross-over ideas and actually enjoy using linear CMOS. Smile
- The frequency doubler circuit looked promising initially. However, I have to admit that it was the biggest disappointment. It works, but it cannot be cascaded. Also, I found it only useful for feeding it into a counter again. The biggest disadvantage is that you won't get a symmetrical square wave from it. Using a 4046 PLL seems like the better approach.
- Adjustable delays? Yes, very useful. Just experimented with an incredibly easy circuit. See the picture. Just use a voltage divider in the resistor path to ground. That gives you a variable delay using a CV as input - albeit over a limited frequency range.
- Regarding the everything-must-be-voltage-controlled mentality, I can really understand that for Modular Synthesizers. But for Lunettas, I prefer the digital control and actually enjoy hearing the binary patterns bleed through. Pattern generators is what I am still looking for.

CV controlled pulse width.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.37 KB
 Viewed:  16804 Time(s)

CV controlled pulse width.PNG

LunettaLab V2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.13 KB
 Viewed:  172 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

LunettaLab V2.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that looks promising Shocked
do you have a lasercutter, a steady hand or used something already existing ?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
synaesthesia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a very good friend with a CNC mill. The frame is made of 8mm MDF (medium-density fibreboard) and the upper and lower inserts are made of diffused plexiglass.
commathe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love it! Twisted Evil
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a CNC mill of course, I forgot about those. I gues you're going to put LEDs behind the plexiglass ?
and I'm wondering if the middle part could be used as a trigger using a piezo disc.

Last edited by PHOBoS on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
synaesthesia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Patience please... Very Happy I don't want to spill all the beans too early. I plan to document the frame and each of the eight boards (6 visible modules, 2 boards behind the frame) in a separate thread.
The middle part is a speaker already mounted behind a soft white fabric. You bet there will be RGB LEDs behind the top part, two of them.
Page 2 of 3 [51 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: