electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DONE PCBs ordered. Yet another Moog 914 clone...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
LFLab

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seek help Very Happy

Serge resonant eq?
dingebre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good news, the GIC and Inductor versions are both finally working. I ordered PCBs today. If anyone is interested in buying a set, email or PM.

GIC - $70.00 per set (A little expensive, but they are 4 layer PCBs to minimize noise and hum)

Inductor - $50.00 per set (Will work with either the large or small core 5 Henry inductors Carsten has made)

A couple of quick comments on construction. I'll put more detail together if people buy the PCBs.

A set consists of 4 PCBs, a top, middle, and bottom PCB adn an I/O PCB which mounts to the bottom filter cell PCB. They have PCB mounted pots, Panasonic EVU-E2JFK4D54, DigiKey P3U0503-ND. You will most likely need to trim the shaft a little depending on the knob you use. the HP and LP pots are not PCB mounted and can be any smallish panel mount pot. I've calculated the values for the capacitors which are on the silkscreen. There are two choices, one for an "exact" cutoff frequency, one that pushes the cutoff either up or down about 6% to mimic what it appears Moog did (as well as Jurgen Haible on his version).

The construction is not bad. The calibration is the problem, here. Ideally, you want the overall "Q" to be about 3.7 (per Yves Usson's testing of an original 914). The trimmers will adjust that, but it's not so straight forward to tell. I've just set my trimmers to point to about 10:00 or 11:00 and the result is very pleasing. you don't want too high a "Q" or you lose some of the harmonics between the cells. Too low and you miss the nice resonance when the input attenuator is fully CW.

Be warned, both versions are kind of pricey to build. For the inductor version, you need a set of Carsten's inductors. for the GIC, you need 29 of the best, lowest noise, op amps you are willing to buy. I ended up using the OPA2227, about 4.50 each for 10-99 pieces. Probably way overkill. Jurgen used an MC4558 at about $0.40 depending on the exact one you pick.

So, enough for now. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested. I've got about 2 weeks til the PCBs are in. In the mean time, I'll work on a BOM and some construction notes.

dingebre@3dphysics.net
http://www.xmission.com/~dingebre/Synthasystem.html
dingebre

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If anyone is interested, PCBs have arrived for either the GIC or inductor version. PM or email if interested. See first post for more details.

David

Update:

On closer examination, the I/O PCBs were not included in this shipment. I'm looking into it. One way or another, I will have them within a couple of weeks.

Sorry.

David

2014-11-21 22.28.57_resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  297.68 KB
 Viewed:  433 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

2014-11-21 22.28.57_resize.jpg

dingebre@3dphysics.net
dingebre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First, I have all the PCBs in now. The I/O PCBs were just a little slow.

Second, I uploaded an audio sample comparing this 914 to Yves Usson's 914. Here's a link to the blog:

http://analoguerealities.blogspot.com/2014/12/audio-for-914-comparison.html

You can read more about what I did and how there.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
dingebre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My new web store is the best place to buy the PCBs. Start at:

www.analoguerealities.com

click on the Catalog and SDIY "key", navigate the menu to the Moog modules, 914 FFB. It's the only one right now, so should be easy. The checkout is through PayPal.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
synthcube

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what a great project!

we've acquired MFOS to help carry on Ray Wilson's work: www.musicfromouterspace.com
dingebre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update 6/15/2020
I updated the web site's 914 FFB pages. Please see the website for details.

Basically:
1. I have re-done the inductor PCB design to work with CineMag inductors. They did the inductors for the Moog modular reissued systems. Please PM me if you want to use them.
2. I found a couple more errors on the Norlin schematics and have offered some corrections. They are very simple. Change a resistor on the I/O PCB, eliminate a couple of capacitors with jumpers and eliminate some resistors on the I/O PCB.
3. On the inductor, I recommend increasing the LP filter capacitors to 1.22uF with a 1uF and a 0.22uF.
4. On all versions, I recommend changing the HP filter capacitors to 2nF with two 1nF capacitors.

Again, details on the web page:
http://analoguerealities.com/projects/fixed-filter-bank-914

I added more photos, added more information regarding calibration, and other stuff.

dingebre@3dphysics.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: