electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
First step to a MFOS modular
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
lanchingmaa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: First step to a MFOS modular
Subject description: help a noob
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm now hooked. So where do I start? I think I want to go euro rack mounting so I would imagine I would need to build a case with power supply then begin with VCOs etc.
Can anyone help with some guidance for where to begi
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi , welcome to the best time & money zapping hobby invented Smile Smile.

When I started in the late 90's I built a few "velleman" electronic project kits and one or two things from music tech magazines at the time .
My first diy synth was a PAIA Fatman (2 vco / vcf / vca / lfo / env. & midi) , then I found MFOS online in 2003......

My first version of my modular had a couple of vco's , a couple of filters , a few vca's , some lfo's & ADSR's and a sample & hold , all mfos .

I chose the MFOS pcb's back then because I felt the documentation was laid out in an easy to understand way for a beginner .

Back then I decided to use a large format for my system 250mm high by 100mm wide for a standard single panel , .Com & motm were the popular sizes in diy circles , nowadays euro is popular - most certainly in the ready to buy market and over the years I have seen small run pcb's by enthusiasts starting to cater for euro panel layouts .

But the joy if diy synths is you can make the panels whatever size you want or need , each format size has it's own good and bad points , but I would recommend measuring the MFOS pcb's you like, to see whether they will fit a small euro panel , the boards are larger than some other designs , Ray gives the pcb dimensions on each project page.

What are you going to use your planned system for ?..
1. the satisfaction of building something and making strange noises with it .
2. It's going to do a job working in your studio making music in conjunction with sequencers of some type.

Power... the most important part , if you are unsure about design/building/ and local electrical regulations, stick with the MFOS wall wart supplies , as long as you get the correct described transformer powerpack unit , you should be good for up to 10 Mfos modules.

Take your time in choosing what you want and what you want it to do , if you are really keen on diy, good hand tools / temp variable soldering iron / oscilloscope & a 40,000 count multi meter with frequency reading are all highly recommended.

have fun.

Dave.
lanchingmaa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave: Thanks for the response.

I guess I really dont know what mounting I need. I know that I want to build modular because I know my needs will change beyond building a bunch of external boxes. — Dont get me wrong, Ray's builds for the SoundLab and Sequencer may serve my purposes, but I would love to be able to keep adding to it and having the flexibility of a unit that has "holes" in it for expansion. I am really flexible so I guess I could use eurorack or something else. That was what my post was about— any suggestions?

Regaring the power supply, are you saying that one wall wart module that he sells would work for a bunch of panels, or would I use one for each? The power supply is the part I am scratching my head on.

I built the Noise Toaster and it was a snap and it worked the first time. So the building part is easy for me.

Any resources I can dig into for designing a case and power supply? Just not clear on the hook up part. Thanks in advance.
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahh , you mean the rail with the hex nuts loose inside , ive never used that my home made wooden boxes have a 10mm thick strip of mdf top & bottom that the modules can be screw fixed to.

Yes, 1 wallwart pcb can do 4 or 5 modules with the project page pictured heatsinks or 9 or 10 with good big heat sinks , Ray usually gives a current load for + and for - on the project pages , total up the current on all the modules you would like and then use those totals to decide the power design.

Bigger systems require a carefully planned power supply and equally important proper distribution throughout , so if its a small system just use the wall wart board & suitable AC powerpack .

Making a case .... some people have found ideal synth cases at furniture stores , I think IKEA did a wooden box that was perfect for 19" rack gear , other than that it is pencil & paper sketches then saw plywood in your shed , glue & tack together Smile Smile
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Ikea RAST is commonly used as a rack, google RAST modular case and you should find a wealth of information. I've seen it used for up to 5U formats.

Ginkosynthese (www.ginkosynthese.com) has some nice flat pack laser cut Euro cases for good prices, but of course if you want a larger format, that's not the best choice.
lanchingmaa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys. I think I totally get it now. I am pretty sure I won't be able to tune a VCO as my first non kit so I may roll with a mini synth then figure things out as I level up.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: