electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Vco
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Karlisss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Vco Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can i build and use nonmached transistors for vco to get just any sound out of it, without plans to play vco with keyboard?
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yup, the matching of transistors is to ensure that pitch tracking is correct. so you can absolutely use unmatched, its just that you might get odd results if you plan to use it in the future for something more pitch critical

oh and welcome

Karlisss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you!
Iam now in etching stage, so i wil use
Transcendental matching metode with brain energy Very Happy

Btw Hallo
marfoski

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually it's not that difficult to match transistors.

This thread, for instance, contains several useful methods :

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-276867.html
Karlisss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks a lot!!
funny, i found LM394 just here in my city!!!
http://www.ericasynths.lv/en/shop/4859-npn_matched_transistors_in_dip8_case.html
only must put in different place, cos pin layout is different.
Karlisss

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so, i almost finished pcb's component part except some, harder to find parts.
but

there is one ALIEN part, i never met before

220pf 1% silver mica

witch option i should choose, there are alot:

http://lv.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?st=220pf+1%25+styroflex+silver&catalogId=15001&categoryId=700000005411&langId=371&storeId=10166

do all 7xL12 voltage regulators have similar pins?
i go for +/-12v and i have
L78L12 A GE 95D
and
TSC 79L12 2D1
gdavis

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Karlisss wrote:
so, i almost finished pcb's component part except some, harder to find parts.
but

there is one ALIEN part, i never met before

220pf 1% silver mica

witch option i should choose, there are alot:

http://lv.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?st=220pf+1%25+styroflex+silver&catalogId=15001&categoryId=700000005411&langId=371&storeId=10166

On that page, in the filters section check 220pf for capacitance and 1% for tolerance and you will get one result. That is the one you want.

Karlisss wrote:

do all 7xL12 voltage regulators have similar pins?
i go for +/-12v and i have
L78L12 A GE 95D
and
TSC 79L12 2D1

As long as they are TO-92 packages I believe they will be the same. You can always check the pinout in the data sheet to make sure.

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

78XX and 79XX have DIFFERING pinouts.

78XX is Out-Ground-Input, and 79XX is Output-Input-Ground. The low current versions are mirrored, and so different again.

Check your datasheets.
gdavis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
78XX and 79XX have DIFFERING pinouts.

78XX is Out-Ground-Input, and 79XX is Output-Input-Ground. The low current versions are mirrored, and so different again.

Check your datasheets.

Of course, but I don't think he's asking about 78LXX vs 79LXX, rather one 78LXX vs another 78LXX and one 79LXX vs another 79LXX. He's just looking for the right + and - regulators for the VCO.

Any TO-92 78L12 for +12V and 79L12 for -12V should be correct.

But yes, in general it's good to know that the pinouts are different between the different types.

Karlisss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

all components are placed, waiting for Tayda Pots and LM394 !!
Smile
edit: ups, i placed silver mica 220pf 5% instead of 1%... should it work?
Karlisss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welll.... After great hopes something went terribly wrong.
I rechecked wires and gnds and should be ok. If i connect my onehand with lfo output jack and other hand with pcb, then there is modulation. Where i should star to search failure? What is idea behind such behavior?
I put round lm394 with pin positions as in drawing. Only difference : there is one more diode on each side in russian lm394, but it shouldt affect vco functionality.

So here is video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmg6zQqkibg

And here is drawing rus394 vs as it should be (in my understanding)

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  284.01 KB
 Viewed:  264 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

image.jpg

Karlisss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can someone tell or finish drawing, to help me understand
Which shematic part is must have to be soldered on pcb, to have one working saw vave without any cv ins and line fm etc... Just pure sawwave with freq pot.
I have another pcb, so i want to go from simplest side, and then i can add all extras one by one.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.02 KB
 Viewed:  241 Time(s)

image.jpg

gdavis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post hi-res pics of both sides of your board. Sometimes people can spot mistakes. Most likely culprits are bad solder joints, shorts, open traces or misplaced components.

The part you're touching in your video is very sensitive, I don't think you can read anything into that.

The problem with leaving out some components is that some of the "unneeded" opamps share an IC with needed opamps. Leaving the inputs of those unused opamps unconnected can cause problems with the opamps that are in use. If you were redoing the circuit you could leave parts out but I wouldn't just leave parts off of this board without modifying it.

Have you gone through the calibration procedure? Do you have a scope? Normal debugging procedure after checking the obvious is to go step by step through the circuit measuring each point to narrow down the trouble spot.

Karlisss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hallo. Help wanted.
Can someone explain from my measurements where should i need search mistake?
Thing is module seams like zombie, so looks like dead but when i push finger to transistor bc547 area, there is noize .
In normal circumstances there is no voltage oscilation on output pins.
Video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmg6zQqkibg

Voltage goes to every IC and OP as should, i wrote down measurements.
Build is based on 12v like here in forum someone explained witch parts should be changed.

Also my question, do vco should work on 12v not as precise 1v/oct or it will be silent on 12v?

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  368.72 KB
 Viewed:  224 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB
 Viewed:  176 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.34 MB
 Viewed:  200 Time(s)

image.jpg

gdavis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Karlisss wrote:
Hallo. Help wanted.
Voltage goes to every IC and OP as should, i wrote down measurements.
Build is based on 12v like here in forum someone explained witch parts should be changed.

Who's? There's more than one, are you referring to my post? Give a link.

Karlisss wrote:

Also my question, do vco should work on 12v not as precise 1v/oct or it will be silent on 12v?

Without any changes, I think you would get something, but the frequency and amplitude will be way off.

You said your build is based off of 12V, does that mean that all the +/-15V points you circled are measuring +/-12V?

I do see a some issues right off in the core.

The main problem is the +9.9V on U3b pin 7. This needs to be a small negative value. This indicates a potential problem around the expo converter - BC547's, R11, R12, R13, R15, R53 and D2 - causing U3b to be pinned to the positive rail. You may have a bad connection in there somewhere after all.

Check your transistor connections. Is that track from the transistor base to ground and R12 covered with solder actually making a reliable connection? I'm guessing that was to bridge a gap in the trace. I usually just add wire instead of trying to bridge it with solder alone as the solder often doesn't want to fill the gap and is brittle causing it to break easily resulting intermittent connection.
Check that the voltage at the point between R11 and R12 and the base of the transistor connected to that point is close to 0V.
Check that the emitters of both transistors are slightly negative.
Check the voltage on either side of R15.
Also make sure the input side of R16 is 0V.

Something is also wrong with pin 3 of U7a which should be close to 5V. If you're using a 12V supply instead of 15, the value of R49 and/or R50 need to be adjusted to give closer to 5V. Based on the 10V reading you indicated on the +Vcc for U3a, it sounds like you're still using 50k and 100k which is not correct for a 12V supply. And what is the "37.3k?" note? Are you trying to measure the value of the resistor in circuit? This won't work, you must remove at least one end of the resistor to measure it's value.

The second problem shouldn't be critical for at least getting the saw output to oscillate. It will affect the saw amplitude (which will affect the triangle and sine shappers) and may make it difficult to get lower frequencies, but it should still oscillate. This is the main problem of using 12V instead of 15V, the rest just affects the range of the controls.

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: