electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Behringer BCR2000 + Microkorg = MK2000?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Behringer BCR2000 + Microkorg = MK2000?
Subject description: a weird way to have my cake and eat it, too
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've long been tempted by the Korg MS2000, but it's just too big (for my taste) and a little old to trust electronically. I even considered adding an MS2000R rack mount version but it's still pretty big and just as old. Still, even though the Microkorg shares that great sound engine, it would be nice to have more knobs.

Enter the BCR2000, or as I call it, the "box of knobs!" The BCR2000 is a 32 knob, 28 button (actually more of each, kind of) MIDI controller that gives me immediate control of MK parameters without having to page through the matrix editing. Korg's free computer sound editor is nice but it doesn't change things instantly like the knobs do.

So now I have an almost MS2000, only it's kind of better because I can program the BCR's controls the way I want them. And, knowing me, I'll want to change them around pretty often.

The next trick will be to program the BCR to work with my CZ-101. No one has done this yet, or at least I haven't found an example in online searches. The problem is that while the BCR can "learn" which codes to use by reading the MIDI output of the device, the CZ doesn't send those codes to the MIDI out. Dagnabbit.

It then occurred to me to connect the BCR to the CZ editor so it could learn the codes. A search revealed that this technique was successful with some other boards, but only if the editor sends immediate individual codes, which my CZ editor does not!

Stumped? Not yet.

Apparently there is an OS X editor for the CZ that does send in real time, but I don't have an OS X machine. So now I'm searching Craigslist for the cheapest OS X computer I can find.

This sounds like a lot of trouble, right? But imagine having 32 real-time knobs on a CZ-101. That would kick proverbial ass!

The BCR2000 can store different sets of settings, so I can save my MK settings and my CZ settings (and different versions of each).

Another weird thing I've been doing is giving the MK a true analog sound to torture by connecting the Microbrute. I can now combine true analog, VA, DWGS and phase distortion waves at the same time.

I love my synthesizers!

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
montequi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Any luck? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you ever get the BCR2000 working on the CZ101?
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never got the CZ to work with the BCR2000.
Apparently there is very little you can manipulate in real time on CZs, even when you send the right codes.

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
montequi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang! Thanks anyway!
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: