electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Andromeda editor for iPad
Page 4 of 4 [88 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
ProFete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do you think is it possible to run this editor on a windows PC with a virtual machine IOS please ?

http://maconwindows.blogspot.fr/
Helge Kautz

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: SysEx works, NRPN don't. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,

I've finally got around testing the Editor for real.

Unfortunately, only very few things work for me. Specifically, everything that is just SysEx works. Everything that sends NRPN along with SysEx does nothing except for calling up the corresponding GUI page on the Andromeda.

So it seems that somewhere along the way, NRPNs are getting filtered. I can see on my Mac, using MIDI Monitor, that the the NRPNs are going into the MIDI interface just fine, but they seem not to arrive at the Andromeda. I tried two different MIDI interfaces (both USB<=>MIDI cables from different manufacturers) to the same effect.

As far as I can tell, it's either both MIDI interfaces don't support NRPN (how can that be?) or the Andromeda doesn't accept the NRPN. Do I need to switch NRPN reception on at the Andromeda?

A little clueless --
Höllge
Silagemaker

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I presume you haven't made the same mistake I did and forgot to go to Global Turn on NPRN receive on Andy?
Cheers
Helge Kautz

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, thanks!

I made exactly that mistake! Just turned it on, and behold! it's working now Smile

Thanks,
Höllge
Astral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is there a way to sync the current preset so the parameters match up?
Mortalitydrag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Issue with midi interface Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been trying to get this to work using a very basic usb to midi lead but cant seem to get anything to work other than the virtual keyboard. Do I need to get some sort of special interface for it to work?

Cheers

Pete
ProFete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello

i have just recieved an ipad to try the editor Smile

that is my first apple product,

about the midi nrpn bug, it is only on osx or it's the same on ios ?

thank

Last edited by ProFete on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
ProFete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JayDog wrote:
Created an account to say thanks for this great program! I actually just purchased an a6 a month ago. Fortunately for me you just finished the program. I have a problem though. It's not communicating to the a6 properly. It can only adjust the oscillator frequency and a few other knobs. The majority of knobs are not responsive. I'm using the line 6 mobilizer 2. I'm hoping it's just software and not hardware. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for this amazing program.

i had the same problem, only fews params was working and alot of bugs

Rx was set to ON, and all other also, front panel, sysex...

so i was a little lost ^^

but i found the solution, the A6 keyboard midi channel need to bet set on channel 1

now all working perfectly, i use the editor over wifi with rtpMIDI installed on windows 10 PC and a motu midi express 128 interface

thank alot scd

Last edited by ProFete on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:52 am; edited 2 times in total
ProFete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just see filter routing OFF position de not work or exist, is it normal?
musicsus4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, new to forum and the Andy. Wondering if anyone can post the best way to use this editor in 2017. I use logic on Mac OSX 10.3, have an iPad, but do not have a iRig MIDI. I will purchase an iRig if that's the most stable way. I've used an iPad to control pro tools via wifi and that had issues sometimes. Anyone with a similar setup to mine care to chime in? Thankful for this forum and the person who designed the editor. Thank you all! Smile
deleted user on request

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

musicsus4 wrote:
Hi, new to forum and the Andy. Wondering if anyone can post the best way to use this editor in 2017. I use logic on Mac OSX 10.3, have an iPad, but do not have a iRig MIDI. I will purchase an iRig if that's the most stable way. I've used an iPad to control pro tools via wifi and that had issues sometimes. Anyone with a similar setup to mine care to chime in? Thankful for this forum and the person who designed the editor. Thank you all! Smile

Something like an iConnectMIDI interface would probably do you well. It connects to your computer via USB, has 2x2 and 4x4 MIDI I/O configurations, and also has a dedicated USB host for connecting your iPad to. It would basically be a central hub between your
kcoul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1 for recommending a solution like iRig MIDI over WiFi. There's quite a few options nowadays Line6 mobilizer, I also use an Alesis IODock which is quite sturdy if you don't want the iPad floating around. I have a clamp that the iPad can dock to which attaches to a microphone stand, which might be a good in some situations.

scd I am not sure if you still come to this forum, but I am curious about what you think it would take to make a 2-way editor. I am especially interested in seeing what it would take to develop a UI that could synchronize to the current state of the loaded patch.

As we all know when you hit the button to sync an A6 patch to the state of the front panel, things can get weird very quickly Wink

But as an old fashioned engineer I am very used to zeroing out large mixing consoles when starting on a new song, and I think with some good habit development, it would be possible to do the same on the front panel of an Andromeda.

It would be possible to prove this was done correctly by loading an Init Patch, then moving all the knobs etc to what is suspected the Init positions, and hitting the Manual button and hearing if the sound changed.

Now, the next step of this could be to sync a 2-way editor to the state of the A6, so everything is synced (internal state, front panel, and editor UI).

From here, it would be a dream to edit a patch using a combination of the front panel and editor when each was the better way to control it for a given task.

So I wonder, assuming the editor I am thinking of building makes use of only NRPN and not Sysex to facilitate this, what would be required to get a UI to sync to internal state of the A6?

My understanding is this:
- Make a sysex request for the current patch (I know some synths respond to sysex patch request, there is an editor for my Supernova 2 that works this way, with a button that will request and the Supernova 2 responds, but I am not totally sure this is the same as a Sysex patch dump)
- If above is not possible, user can sync from A6 by sending out a patch dump which the proposed editor would respond to
- Now the editor has to parse the Sysex dump and translate it to individual patch parameters to synchronize the UI

Beyond this, the behavior of a 2-way editor:
- Redirect incoming NRPN messages to the correct editor UI element and update it
- As with other editors, generate correct NRPN message when editor UI element is adjusted and send
- Ideally, editor UI elements would freeze from being controllable while they are being controlled by external NRPN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kcoul wrote:
+1 for recommending a solution like iRig MIDI over WiFi. There's quite a few options nowadays Line6 mobilizer, I also use an Alesis IODock which is quite sturdy if you don't want the iPad floating around. I have a clamp that the iPad can dock to which attaches to a microphone stand, which might be a good in some situations.

scd I am not sure if you still come to this forum, but I am curious about what you think it would take to make a 2-way editor. I am especially interested in seeing what it would take to develop a UI that could synchronize to the current state of the loaded patch.

As we all know when you hit the button to sync an A6 patch to the state of the front panel, things can get weird very quickly Wink

But as an old fashioned engineer I am very used to zeroing out large mixing consoles when starting on a new song, and I think with some good habit development, it would be possible to do the same on the front panel of an Andromeda.

It would be possible to prove this was done correctly by loading an Init Patch, then moving all the knobs etc to what is suspected the Init positions, and hitting the Manual button and hearing if the sound changed.

Now, the next step of this could be to sync a 2-way editor to the state of the A6, so everything is synced (internal state, front panel, and editor UI).

From here, it would be a dream to edit a patch using a combination of the front panel and editor when each was the better way to control it for a given task.

So I wonder, assuming the editor I am thinking of building makes use of only NRPN and not Sysex to facilitate this, what would be required to get a UI to sync to internal state of the A6?

My understanding is this:
- Make a sysex request for the current patch (I know some synths respond to sysex patch request, there is an editor for my Supernova 2 that works this way, with a button that will request and the Supernova 2 responds, but I am not totally sure this is the same as a Sysex patch dump)
- If above is not possible, user can sync from A6 by sending out a patch dump which the proposed editor would respond to
- Now the editor has to parse the Sysex dump and translate it to individual patch parameters to synchronize the UI

Beyond this, the behavior of a 2-way editor:
- Redirect incoming NRPN messages to the correct editor UI element and update it
- As with other editors, generate correct NRPN message when editor UI element is adjusted and send
- Ideally, editor UI elements would freeze from being controllable while they are being controlled by external NRPN

Yes, 2 way would make this a 10. Its a little rough editing existing patches ATM.
Page 4 of 4 [88 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: