electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
YAMAHA CP 10 mod/bend help
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
nvaeth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: YAMAHA CP 10 mod/bend help
Subject description: bypassing the piano decay for an organ sound
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just posted in the bending forum then realized this is probably a more appropriate place to post about this, so sorry for the redundance..

Hi, this is my first post on this site so bear with me here...I just bought a Yamaha CP10 electric piano from a craigslist fellow. it works great but i am sort of bored of its basic features already. I have already modded the tremolo so i can adjust depth and speed (it used to be only speed).

my next mission is to bypass the decay for the piano tone, so that when a note is held, it is at a constant volume (like an organ) rather than decaying like a piano. I am assuming the decay is made possible by additional circuitry in the piano so if i were to bypass the circuitry i could achieve the desired effect.

after much examination of the block diagram and the physical board it self, I believe getting rid of the decay has something to do with the 4016 quad bilateral switch IC. but I haven't gotten much past that yet...

SO my questions are:

would removing power from the 4016 do the trick?

- how can i identify the decay circuit (what are common types of decay circuits)?

- AND is the idea of bypassing the decay feasible or possible?

has anyone done a project like this on their instrument before?

Also, any other mod/bending suggestions for this piano?

the thing is that I have no schematic (if anyone has one please let me know i don't want to pay 30 bucks for it on ebay)...

thanks for reading!...
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: YAMAHA CP 10 mod/bend help
Subject description: bypassing the piano decay for an organ sound
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nvaeth wrote:
I just posted in the bending forum then realized this is probably a more appropriate place to post about this, so sorry for the redundance..

Hi nvaeth
welcome to electro-music.com

Very Happy

don't worry about redundance, I deleted your double post

Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
scoob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BUMP to this nearly 7 year old thread.

Hi all, and nvaeth if you're out there. I may have ended up with your CP10 because it has the decay/sustain mod you mentioned trying (and I got it in PA).

I was wondering how this mod was done, if you or anyone could shed some light on it. It sounds incredible, and I want to try it on another CP10. Not only is the decay parameter gone, giving it a cool "gate" synth envelope, the output is boosted, and the resulting subtle saturation/distortion is fantastic. Note: I saw it uses JRC4558 op amps which are prized by many guitarists as being the best sounding.

I haven't been able to find CP10 schematics or service manual; the closest I've found is a CP11 service manual, but after poking around in the CP10 I can see it's considerably different.

So back to guesswork, before I stumbled on this thread I came to the conclusion, like you, that it's the Toshiba TC4016BP that can effect the mod. But without a circuit diagram I don't want to start shooting in the dark. More than that, I want to figure out how to to do the output boost because, like I said, it really makes this thing come alive.

I also want to add, I compared the modded CP10 to the stock one as closely as possible, and for the life of me I can't see any signs of tampering (no awkward resistors & caps thrown in, no sloppy solder joints, or any of the tell-tale signs) so whoever did this mod did a great job. Furthermore, since there are no obvious signs of construction, you'd think the mod is relatively simple to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: